Johnny West E-Town crash on "Shockwave" (1 Viewer)

davey

Nitro Member
Just saw an episode that had Johnny West's crash in his Beretta at E-Town. For you night owls it will be repeated on the History Channel at 3:00am EST (Saturday morning). I'm still amazed every time I see that footage that he wasn't hurt worse than he was. That was a miracle.

I just caught the episode of the show that had Jerry Caminito's Memphis crash. I saw that one up close and personal. I hadn't seen that footage for a long time. I'll never forget the feeling I had when I saw it in person. You could have heard a pin drop in that place afterwards. Back then I think a lot of us just took it more for granted that folks would be okay when something horrific happened. You were always really concerned but seemed to talk yoursef into "They'll be okay".

Last edited:
I just caught the episode of the show that had Jerry Caminito's Memphis crash. I saw that one up close and personal. I hadn't seen that footage for a long time. I'll never forget the feeling I had when I saw it in person. You could have heard a pin drop in that place afterwards. Back then I think a lot of us just took it more for granted that folks would be okay when something horrific happened. You were always really concerned but seemed to talk yoursef into "They'll be okay".

I was there, too, Dave. That crash remains the most violent I've ever seen, even including some that proved to be fatal. It's the same feeling in my stomach when cars break up or barrel roll for what seems minutes. But this one was such a titanic head-on that it is truly a miracle Jerrry survived.

Speaking of Jerry, I don't know if any of you out there ever had the chance to meet his wife, Linda. She is a true hero of racing in my opinion. And dare I say, she knows more about a nitro motor than most people - certainly me included. After that crash, she was an angel by Jerry's side. She's just another example of the many, countless unsung, great people you'll find in drag racing. We met her in Dallas one year at a hotel off I-35 and it was just really special. She invited us to stop by the trailer at the track the next day; I had no idea she was his friggin' Crew Chief. We get to thier pit and she's knee deep in the cylinder heads. Great memories.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back