Alan Johnson Jerry Toliver Jet (1 Viewer)

max

Nitro Member
First post here, I was at the ESPN Zone in Baltimore. There were several drag racing clips on; it appeared to be a half hour show. Alan Johnson and Jerry Toliver were on a private jet, possibley a Lear, together. Does anyone know whose aircraft this was? Just curious as they looked very relaxed.

Thank you,
Brian Bunk
Columbia, Md.

Welcome to the Mater, Brian.

I don't have your answer..but I'm sure you soon will.

It is from American Dragster. I know Alan said he saved him 50 something work days per year. I don't think ownership was mentioned. My guess is they rent it and split the cost but that's just a guess.

Those interval ownership deals are still pretty costly but, no comparison to the cost of owning a jet.

Wouldn't you want to be productive enough to cost-justify the ca. $10,000/hour for a jet? Given the realities of business travel today, it is getting easier to justify the time/expense trade-off.

It's my Jet, I let Alan use it as I only have a 35 minute drive to work and it was blocking my driveway. It helps keep the cobwebs off of it!! ;)

It's my Jet, I let Alan use it as I only have a 35 minute drive to work and it was blocking my driveway. It helps keep the cobwebs off of it!! ;)
Hey Paul, that's a great idea--I was wondering what to do with that thing blocking my driveway also! Bet loaning it out would be a lot cheaper than storage fees. Thanks for the tip--I never get around to using that jet, so maybe I'll loan it to Tony Smith if he wants it!

it could be that he is on a fractional ownership deal, like Net Jets. Way more expensive than flying typical commercial, but a whole lot less than owning/leasing your own aircraft.

Those fractional ownership deals are cool, if your business necessitates the need for it. Depending on the jet, I think you could be into one for 40-50k per year, then you pay the bill for each flight (pilot, fuel, etc.) I've been on one for a business trip, and man, all I can say is makes you want to be wealthy enough to fly that way exclusively. Instead of having to be at the airport an hour ahead, waiting in long lines, and all the rest, you show up at the hangar, grab a cup of coffee, they roll the thing out, you get in and go. And they are like the hot rods of the sky, once you take off, you get to 20k feet real quick. They are pretty wild.

I remember a good article about a year back about Doug Herbert selling his jet and the cost involved. It was expensive to say the least.

It is A.J.'s Jet. 100% And it is nice.

Alan

Well then we know Don must be paying him a lot of $$$$! :eek:
I know Alans business is doing good but not many people will throw that much money down just to get around.
You can buy them used but they are still pricy.
Thanks for clearing that up Alan.:)
Tony you called it! ;)

It could have been Don Shumacher's jet...he owns a nice Hawker and if I were him I would let A.J. have it anytime he wants and fly commercial myself!!!:pGotta keep the braintrust happy!!!:D

Well then we know Don must be paying him a lot of $$$$! :eek:
I know Alans business is doing good but not many people will throw that much money down just to get around.
You can buy them used but they are still pricy.
Thanks for clearing that up Alan.:)
Tony you called it! ;)

I have no first hand knowledge but just from some of the photo-tour things I've seen I think Alan Johnson's business earns him a LOT of money.

I think when you have a successful business to run AND a race team that the extra time you can save becomes pretty valuable. Good for them.

Last edited:
In an online interview with Austin Coil, he mentioned talking budgets with Don Schumacher. They both agreed that it took around 3 to 3.5 mil to run a car for a year. Coil said that Don indicated in took 4.5 to run the Army car and the difference was Alan. That's a whole lot of money when it's 40K to win a race and 400K for the championship.

I have no first hand knowledge but just from some of the photo-tour things I've seen I think Alan Johnson's business earns him a LOT of money.

I think when you have a successful business to run AND a race team that the extra time you can save becomes pretty valuable. Good for them.

If Alan was making that kind of money then why not sponsor a team of his own?

1 Mill a year that is probably what Coil makes too!
I don't see Alan in forbes maybe he bought one of Connie's throw away's. :p
Lear Jets aren't cheap and they are very costly to use more power to him I'm glade to see him doing well. I would just like to see him form his own team I'm pretty sure they would be competative. :rolleyes:

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Thank you to everyone who responded. I have the greatest respect for Alan Johnson and I’m glad he is able to have some comfort in his life. I really enjoyed a quote he made last year when Tony was low in the points, they asked him if he was going to stay and test on Monday after a first round loss “Stay and test what our luck, we got the fastest hot rod on the ground” Then the win at last years finals that was special. The jet was not a Hawker, possible Lear 25-35

Thank you and God Speed
Brian Bunk
Columbia, Md.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back