Alan Johnson and Scelzi rumors? (1 Viewer)

Yes, he struggled in FC with the Toyota, but I have two points that discount the struggling...

1. He "struggled" earlier this year, found his sweet spot, and is back on track.

2. That first year, didn't they say that the aero was causing problems and making the Toyota a beast? Gary was questioning himself, and look what he has done with the Dodge body...

Just my .02

Yes, he struggled in FC with the Toyota, but I have two points that discount the struggling...

1. He "struggled" earlier this year, found his sweet spot, and is back on track.

2. That first year, didn't they say that the aero was causing problems and making the Toyota a beast? Gary was questioning himself, and look what he has done with the Dodge body...

Just my .02

Justin may be worth a nickle.

Aero problems or not, Sarver ran some stout numbers during his stint in the car. Had he driven it all year I think they translated into better than top five.

AJ has nothing to prove, his resume speaks loudly.

Yeah he struggled but towards the end it started to come around.
If memory serves me right he went to a semi final in Vegas and a final round in Pomona and had it in the 4.70's during that string I have no doubt he would sort it out.
If Jim says don't put any money on Scelzi going anywhere that has more credibility then the rumor mill to me!

AJ has nothing to prove, his resume speaks loudly.[/QUOTE]

I agree 110% with you, Justin & anyone else who feels this way. As I said, AJ's a genius, no question about it. My point is simple - he didn't win in the funny car. Period. Regardless of the reasons, he didn't win.

There's a part of me that feels he wants to go out and prove what he, and most of the rest of us already know, that he CAN win. That he can dominate in Funny Car just like he has in Top Fuel. We all agree we think (actually, we know) he can, but until he actually does it, it remains, at least partly, an unknown. And I don't even think he wants to prove it to us, I think he wants to prove it to himself - that's one of the qualities I feel makes him so damn good at what he does.

But again, it's all pure speculation at this point. Who knows what's in store for us during the upcoming silly season...

I agree 110% with you, Justin & anyone else who feels this way. As I said, AJ's a genius, no question about it. My point is simple - he didn't win in the funny car. Period. Regardless of the reasons, he didn't win.

There's a part of me that feels he wants to go out and prove what he, and most of the rest of us already know, that he CAN win. That he can dominate in Funny Car just like he has in Top Fuel. We all agree we think (actually, we know) he can, but until he actually does it, it remains, at least partly, an unknown. And I don't even think he wants to prove it to us, I think he wants to prove it to himself - that's one of the qualities I feel makes him so damn good at what he does.

But again, it's all pure speculation at this point. Who knows what's in store for us during the upcoming silly season...

I agree it's all speculation. If my memory serves me I remember A.J. was quoted during the flopper spell as saying he wouldn't have raced a Funny Car if it weren't for Scelzi's desire to leave Top Fuel. I'd guess his desires would be consistent with the needs of his business and marketing partner opportunity.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back