A demoralizing situation (1 Viewer)

Is anyone surprised?

“I didn’t think that was fair since the engines were built under the same specifications. It appears that the political power of the Vance & Hines, Terry Vance and of course, Harley-Davidson lobby carries enough weight with the NHRA that they can pretty much do whatever they want.

Its not just a lobby- it "is the official motorcycle of NHRA and the presenting sponsor of the popular NHRA Sportsman Motorcycle Series. Harley-Davidson Inc"... :rolleyes:

Kinda like Goodyear in Pro Stock I guess...:(

I've seen the rules change in the past to benefit the Jap bikes and the V-Rods, but not the S&S engines...am I wrong? I'd feel demoralized too.:mad:

“I didn’t think that was fair since the engines were built under the same specifications. It appears that the political power of the Vance & Hines, Terry Vance and of course, Harley-Davidson lobby carries enough weight with the NHRA that they can pretty much do whatever they want.

Its not just a lobby- it "is the official motorcycle of NHRA and the presenting sponsor of the popular NHRA Sportsman Motorcycle Series. Harley-Davidson Inc"... :rolleyes:

Kinda like Goodyear in Pro Stock I guess...:(

I'm sure Tom Compton, and the rest of the NHRA executives received new Harleys for Christmas.

Its a shame but with all the rule changes that were made in order to get the Harley Competitive, remember when they first came back to the class and were eons behind everyone else now they lead the class, while they do have one of the best cycle minds in the game there, you have to wonder how much of those championships have been won on the track or were won with a check in some boardroom. Good ole Official Sponsorships

If they can't have all the bike varieties compete on an equal field then spilt the class up. I like the bikes and the fact that there are such differing brands, but the black cloud of doubt that hangs over it gets tiring and its not fair to either side.

politics suck! im sure jackie that you and george will overcome this. bryce power will always be #1 !!!!!!

That's very well said Jeff.

The biggest problem with this whole issue is that not everyone is held to the same standards. Even if V&H did lobby for a 4 valve head, they should have been made to go through the same procedures as S&S had to. And don't even mention the Suzukis, they've been getting the raw end of the rule book ever since they lost the "Official Bike" title. Just like the new transmission ruling. Doesn't NHRA have enough sense to realize that all they're doing is costing their competitors more and more $$$.

NHRA can now officially kiss my ass. I refuse to attend a national event for the forseeable future. Instead I will support the local tracks and try to keep the money where it belongs: hopefully out of NHRA's greedy hands. This entire situation with the Pro Stock Bike class has pissed me off for the last 4 or 5 years and all of that plus this new BS they've sprang on the other teams in the class, 1000 ft fuel racing and many other things has finally broken the camel's back. I'll watch it on TV, maybe, but I will not spend my money to attend a race where the odds are stacked and the racing is 320 ft too short in the nitro classes. NHRA, pucker up and kiss my ass.

I've never understood why some people feel above: The law, The rules, common courtesy, respect for everyone around them, ect.

In my humble opinion, if you wanty to be truly special, respect those around you.

Right now, you could group the management of NRHA right in there with AIG, Bernard Madoff and a bunch of other greedy people and companies. I'll probably get laughed out of this post, but money is not everything. Bad will come back on you EVERY TIME and usually at a much greater cost.

I'm with you Mr. Busch.

...I'll probably get laughed out of this post, but money is not everything. Bad will come back on you EVERY TIME and usually at a much greater cost...

Not laughing at you Mike, but big reality check here- we are talking about Professional NHRA Drag Racing here- money IS ABSOLUTLY everything (this business stuff isn't for the faint of heart). This is not the level of sport for the poor or the weak- never was. Someone in the day used to refer to his team as one guy that was the "wrench" and he was the "wallet". Its part of our history.

This is so shortsighted on NHRA's part. You have a class with a lot of trouble getting sponsors. You have a class where S&S bikes make up a large % of the field and HD has but two bikes (with no privateers on them at all). So you give the class champion an under the table, secretive rules break that may render the bulk of the field non-competitive (or face spending huge R&D money during a time when money is tight)?

End result: lower bike count and less interest among fans, the TV audience...and sponsors.

Among many *real* interesting things, George Smith writes about what it took to get the G2 Motorsports Buell into NHRA competition. Quote: "we had to make these [Buells] available to other racers at a reasonable price".

The rest is history and that is just fine. We have 2 of the G2 Buells here in Europe, one of them won the 2007 Euro championship and the other one was Runner-Up in 2008 (got beat by the Suzuki of first time Euro champ Fredde Fredlund Racing Team in which I am pit chief ;)).

But what about the same condition for the V-Rod? AFAIK, the V-Rod bike has never been for sale to the general public. I think it was considered at one time but never happened. What gives, different rules for the manufacturers also in that regards?

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

I agree with your assesment Martin about that side of racing. I was referring to the greedy side of NHRA and others acting in similiar fashion.

NHRA should not confuse "what the market will bear" with screwing the majority of people until they go elsewhere. Right now, the market will not bear what NHRA is doing.

Remember when the F1 teams raced at Indy with bad tires and 1/2 the teams didn't line up for the start. Well I would like to see the teams in FlA go through Qualifying, and sit out on Sunday. That would leave 4 rounds v rod byrons.

And the teams would still get qualifying money, and if done right, put the vrods on the same side of the ladder to race each other 1 st or second round.

Go Harley, Yeah.... Not

This coming from the great state of WI, were the only HOG heaven is at Famous Daves Rib shack.

I was just at my local Harley dealer. I asked the salesman to see one of those new V-rods with the 4 valves per cylinder? He said Harley doesn't make such a thing. So I walked across the street to the Chevy dealer. Told the salesman I wanted to test drive a new Cobalt with the 500 cu in. V8 and RWD. He said Chevy doesn't make such a thing. Moral of the story? How about making PRO STOCK close to what is sold to the public.

I was just at my local Harley dealer. I asked the salesman to see one of those new V-rods with the 4 valves per cylinder? He said Harley doesn't make such a thing. So I walked across the street to the Chevy dealer. Told the salesman I wanted to test drive a new Cobalt with the 500 cu in. V8 and RWD. He said Chevy doesn't make such a thing. Moral of the story? How about making PRO STOCK close to what is sold to the public.

Harry;
Stay away from that Harley dealer. He doesn't even know what the company makes. Care to post the name of that Harley dealer?

Jay

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back