A Commentary on the Massey Situation (1 Viewer)

I read it yesterday, and all I can think of is that they should paint the car flat black with Skulls and Cross Bones all over it, there won't be a warm welcome for it in the stands. Kind of sucks for Phil, Todd and the gang.

I read it yesterday, and all I can think of is that they should paint the car flat black with Skulls and Cross Bones all over it, there won't be a warm welcome for it in the stands. Kind of sucks for Phil, Todd and the gang.

It will definitely be interesting to see his reception at the track, especially the driver introductions!! Wish I could be in Pomona......the soonest I will experience it is at the Gatornationals!

I agree with the black. Hmm... Black dragster, canopy...They could run a tribute car. :D:eek:

photo03.jpg

To be honest, it is a pretty cool car. Back when TF cars had some variety.

I love Susan and call Bobby my friend, but I have to ask why they are making such a big thing out of nothing. Nobody involved seems to be having a problem with whatever supposedly took place at the banquet. Don took a knee jerk reaction and fired Spencer. Later things were worked out within the organization and he rehired Spencer because in reality, he is one of the best drivers ever.

On the internet we practice our right to free speech to the extreme. We post things without thinking or basing our opinions on facts. We will quote a friend that was sitting a table or 2 away (notice we don't even concern ourselves with his location exactly) that knows what really went on, but we don't define the situation in words. I have been to these banquets, and to tell you the truth, I have trouble keeping up with what is happening at my table, let alone the tables next to me or 2 tables away. Oh, and we had to go back and refresh our memory of what was rumored to have taken place so that we can be the expert on the situation.

Like many drivers since the beginning of drag racing, Spencer has had silent contributors to further his career. One has been Gene Snow, a proven successful businessman and hall of fame caliber drag racer. Gene did some things he shouldn't have and paid the price with the proper authorities. Doesn't give anyone the right to add a half dozen more offenses when trying to build ourselves up by beating someone else down. I would be willing to bet that many of you would not treat a person this disrespectfully in person, where that person can correct you in the errors of your ways.

So, you have the right of freedom of speech, Spencer doesn't, and he doesn't have a choice in whether he talks or not.

You have the right to error but Spencer, Gene or Don don't.

And please don't try to tell us that other driver's are perfect, because they aren't. The media and fans just didn't get a hold of a situation and blow it completely out of proportion.

I love Susan and call Bobby my friend, but I have to ask why they are making such a big thing out of nothing. Nobody involved seems to be having a problem with whatever supposedly took place at the banquet. Don took a knee jerk reaction and fired Spencer. Later things were worked out within the organization and he rehired Spencer because in reality, he is one of the best drivers ever.

On the internet we practice our right to free speech to the extreme. We post things without thinking or basing our opinions on facts. We will quote a friend that was sitting a table or 2 away (notice we don't even concern ourselves with his location exactly) that knows what really went on, but we don't define the situation in words. I have been to these banquets, and to tell you the truth, I have trouble keeping up with what is happening at my table, let alone the tables next to me or 2 tables away. Oh, and we had to go back and refresh our memory of what was rumored to have taken place so that we can be the expert on the situation.

Like many drivers since the beginning of drag racing, Spencer has had silent contributors to further his career. One has been Gene Snow, a proven successful businessman and hall of fame caliber drag racer. Gene did some things he shouldn't have and paid the price with the proper authorities. Doesn't give anyone the right to add a half dozen more offenses when trying to build ourselves up by beating someone else down. I would be willing to bet that many of you would not treat a person this disrespectfully in person, where that person can correct you in the errors of your ways.

So, you have the right of freedom of speech, Spencer doesn't, and he doesn't have a choice in whether he talks or not.

And please don't try to tell us that other driver's are perfect, because they aren't. The media and fans just didn't get a hold of a situation and blow it completely out of proportion.
I'd say that about has it covered..

I had intended to respond on this thread until I read this. Now no need. Thanks Virgil!!

Gene PAID thats for sure,he didnt do any time,he has money that lets him do what he wants. And it wasnt just 1 guy that was sitting a table or two away,it was more,no matter what anyone tries to do to clean this up,IT was still said,unless you can turn back time,its not going away.

Virgil, I understand what you are saying, but what I think that has everyone up on the tire is the perceived cover-up. All parties had opportunities on numerous occasions to come "clean", but there is a deafening silence from all parties. Spencer was fired, credible news outlets reported on a consortium of people putting together money to get his ride back, he gets rehired then a completely differnt version of events is presented with no mention of the backers.

I am a DSR fan, and even bigger fan of the Don, but the Spencer firing and rehiring press releases just don't jibe.

It's like PED users, it's not using the PEDs that gets the fans all riled up, it's when they lie about it and get caught in the lie and then give the half-arsed apology that p!sses people off. People aren't buying what the press release is selling in this situation.

Like I said in another thread, I don't think 90% of the people in Pomona will even know what happened during the off season. It will be interesting to see if it gets mentioned on the TV show or over the PA at Pomona.

...Competition Plus is a news outlet and has no desire to hurt any racer or official or fan and is careful to make sure all wording reflects facts and not gossip...

This article doesn't quite fit this excerpt. The whole article has a negative tone towards Spenser & Schumacher.

Antron's quote kinda summarizes my thoughts. Seems like Spenser wasn't very professional at the banquet. And Lagana was right, he is just a kid. To me I chalk it up to a learning experience for Spenser.

And that being the case, why are fans so upset at him? How could you based on what little information there is out there? I guess I just don't get it. And the whole side conversation with Spenser's ties to Gene Snow.. that's totally out of line and irrelevant to anything that's going on.

Tis the internet though.

...Competition Plus is a news outlet and has no desire to hurt any racer or official or fan and is careful to make sure all wording reflects facts and not gossip...

This article doesn't quite fit this excerpt. The whole article has a negative tone towards Spenser & Schumacher.

Antron's quote kinda summarizes my thoughts. Seems like Spenser wasn't very professional at the banquet. And Lagana was right, he is just a kid. To me I chalk it up to a learning experience for Spenser.

And that being the case, why are fans so upset at him? How could you based on what little information there is out there? I guess I just don't get it. And the whole side conversation with Spenser's ties to Gene Snow.. that's totally out of line and irrelevant to anything that's going on.

Tis the internet though.

30 years old isnt a kid. I think alot of people will know whats going on in pomona,if not they will prob hear about it.

30 years old isnt a kid. I think alot of people will know whats going on in pomona,if not they will prob hear about it.

You need to just say what is on your mind. You have made numerous posts about "the terrible thing" that Spencer did and how he is not a kid. Man up and say what you are talking all around but not really saying.

I guess I didn't know his age. He seems much younger. Especially when you see him get interviewed, which is all I see of him.

I don't know enough about what he did to really form an opinion on him. I guess that's why I'm going to stop talking about it and go back into obscurity on the subject.

You need to just say what is on your mind. You have made numerous posts about "the terrible thing" that Spencer did and how he is not a kid. Man up and say what you are talking all around but not really saying.

I really could care less what was said or not. I can't stand listening to him on the track interviews. He comes off as a pompous ass, a spoiled brat if you would. He needs to get his people skills and interview skills worked on. Being a pro driver involves that part of the job. I will give him the benefit of making a mistake, but if his interview skills don't improve, it's back to the mute button for me.

Rick

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back