2008 Nitro Car Counts (1 Viewer)

Rajunz

Nitro Member
This will be a trying year in NHRA. :(
By my count, these will be the teams making the full tour. Who am I missing?

TF = 12, maybe 13 Cars

Bud Car
Skoal Car
Army Car
Fram Car
KB Racing Car
Mac Tools Car
Snap On Car
Matco Tools Car
CAT Car
Kalitta Racing Car
UPS Car
Lucus Oil Car
Perhaps 2nd Lucus Oil Car?

FC = 15, maybe 17 cars

4 Force Cars
4 Shumacher Cars
CSK Car
Jim Dunn Racing Car
2 Pedregon Cars
Monster Energy Car
DHL Car
Levi, Ray, Shoup Car
Tasca
Lend America Car?
Jim Head Car?

This will be a trying year in NHRA. :(
By my count, these will be the teams making the full tour. Who am I missing?

TF = 12, maybe 13 Cars

Bud Car
Skoal Car
Army Car
Fram Car
KB Racing Car
Mac Tools Car
Snap On Car
Matco Tools Car
CAT Car
Kalitta Racing Car
UPS Car
Lucus Oil Car
Perhaps 2nd Lucus Oil Car?

FC = 15, maybe 17 cars

4 Force Cars
4 Shumacher Cars
CSK Car
Jim Dunn Racing Car
2 Pedregon Cars
Monster Energy Car
DHL Car
Levi, Ray, Shoup Car
Lend America Car?
Jim Head Car?

Add Tasca to the FC list.

I doubt that Head, although I love to see him out there, will do a full pull in '08 unless he gets a deal.

wonder if we'll see some of the local small time guys who don't race on the national event tour make a few races here and there. Could be good to see different faces..but bad if it becomes a leakfest. Who knows maybe some legend types may think of trying another race or two just fot the heck of it.

Would NHRA/HD/poweade consider either publicly or quietly tossing money to a few teams to make sure full fields are there. I would think just to help make the sport look healthy that may be a smart option.

Pomona is still a few weeks away, hopefully more teams and drivers can get some deals in place and be out there.

wonder if we'll see some of the local small time guys who don't race on the national event tour make a few races here and there. Could be good to see different faces..but bad if it becomes a leakfest. Who knows maybe some legend types may think of trying another race or two just fot the heck of it.

Would NHRA/HD/poweade consider either publicly or quietly tossing money to a few teams to make sure full fields are there. I would think just to help make the sport look healthy that may be a smart option.

Pomona is still a few weeks away, hopefully more teams and drivers can get some deals in place and be out there.

Good plan PJ--I don't have this first hand, but have heard that Nascar has done that very thing from time to time, as witnessed by 4 or 5 cars only completing less than 10 laps. Un-full fields would be a very bad thing. I was thinking the same thing about the "regional" teams like Mr. Magoo, or maybe even Keith Jackson or Junior Kaiser possibly returning--that would be kind of neat. Maybe even the Golden Greek would stop by more often?

Pomona shouldn't be a problem, there are alot of regional teams in So Cal, but other venues will suffer.

Lots of the smaller opperations are either out, or going out of NHRA competition because of the cost of some of the new requirements and safety stuff. New Top Fuel chassis cert specs will be coming into play fairly early in the year, Funny-car specs will follow. That will stop the Jacksons, Magoo, Neeses, Schwabs and even cars that have been around for a while. Even things like titanium valve covers are keeping capable teams on the sidelines right now.
But, we do live in a free market economy. If there are less than full fields, these teams will find the money to at least round off a field. When you can almost garantee qualifying, you can pick up a little money here and there. But by the end of the year, the little money to pass tech will include a totally new chassis. And there will not be any affordable hand-me down cars available for quite some time.
Time will tell . . .

Good insights, Buzzz. I hadn't thought of the trickle down effect of used cars that are legal to run not being available---Thanks for the input.

perhaps they may lengthen the timeline for all the updates to happen then just to help some of these guys get out there and at least cover a full field.

Now we will tell how commit powerade and Coke is to the sport. If we're going to be low or too tight on car counts then they should toss some money to a few of these guys to make sure that they are out there. A coke car, diet coke, powerade, sprite whatever.

perhaps they may lengthen the timeline for all the updates to happen then just to help some of these guys get out there and at least cover a full field.

Now we will tell how commit powerade and Coke is to the sport. If we're going to be low or too tight on car counts then they should toss some money to a few of these guys to make sure that they are out there. A coke car, diet coke, powerade, sprite whatever.

Super idea, PJ. Hope someone is listening and will act

What happened to the deal Shirley was putting together for '08......does anybody know?

What is the main cause for the decline in the number of cars:

The general economic climate?

Multicar teams forcing single car teams out?

The changes and questions still to be answered regarding the chassis/safety rules?

Is the Sport pricing itself out of existance?

Or a combination of some or all of the above........

What happened to the deal Shirley was putting together for '08......does anybody know?

I was told "All smoke...no fire." Dont know, whether you like Shirley or not its always nice to see another car out there. Especially with this weeks developments. I hope she has 2! But I doubt anything happening from what I've been told.

What is the main cause for the decline in the number of cars:

The general economic climate?

Multicar teams forcing single car teams out?

The changes and questions still to be answered regarding the chassis/safety rules?

Is the Sport pricing itself out of existance?

Or a combination of some or all of the above........

Um, ever heard of TORCO? J/K with you Alan. Thats the biggest reason right now. Thats alot of cars if they all dont show up. But its a little of all of them to be honest but right now the biggest would be Torco's departure.

I was told "All smoke...no fire." Dont know, whether you like Shirley or not its always nice to see another car out there. Especially with this weeks developments. I hope she has 2! But I doubt anything happening from what I've been told.

careful with what you state. i have heard (from a very reliable and close source) otherwise. just remember, rome wasn't built in a day. i also got the pleasure of meeting Shirley at the PRI show while she was at the Rage Racing booth and it was an honor and pleasure to talk to her. not to mention, i look forward to seeing Shelia and Mike Kopchick getting the chance to mix it up in the "big show".

careful with what you state. i have heard (from a very reliable and close source) otherwise. just remember, rome wasn't built in a day. i also got the pleasure of meeting Shirley at the PRI show while she was at the Rage Racing booth and it was an honor and pleasure to talk to her. not to mention, i look forward to seeing Shelia and Mike Kopchick getting the chance to mix it up in the "big show".

I am just stating what I heard from a crew member of another team. Like I said, I hope they do come out with a team.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back