1978 Sportsnats - opens with Chase Knight (1 Viewer)

What happened with the front wheels? Looked like they were "inward", like they got bent. When I was watching the video, I didn't see your name on the screen at first, then saw the engines w/ blower & turbos, and thought, hey, that's Chase! :)

The left front wheel was slightly airborne, so as the front of the car was being forced to the left, the right wheel was being loaded sideways from the bottom. When the left front hit the wall, the rack & pinion steering box became cocked and the front axle bent, causing the alignment issue. I remember it like it was only 42 years ago....... Chase

I introduced myself to Chase Knight at an NHRA race about 12 years ago. I told him I do the clutch on T.J. Zizzo's top fuel dragster and our crew chief is Dave Settles. Chase's response was..."I'm sorry". 😂😂😂

I introduced myself to Chase Knight at an NHRA race about 12 years ago. I told him I do the clutch on T.J. Zizzo's top fuel dragster and our crew chief is Dave Settles. Chase's response was..."I'm sorry". 😂😂😂

In a bit of seriousness, I would really like to see Dave in the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame. His engineering background, analytical approach to everything, development of fuel systems, flow benches, ignition, rocker arms, etc. has contributed greatly to the sport. Great driver, too. Just don't allow him access to your curtain rods. Thanks, Chase

In a bit of seriousness, I would really like to see Dave in the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame. His engineering background, analytical approach to everything, development of fuel systems, flow benches, ignition, rocker arms, etc. has contributed greatly to the sport. Great driver, too. Just don't allow him access to your curtain rods. Thanks, Chase
100% agree! I'll have to ask him about curtain rods...lol.

I was at Indy in '76 when Dave Settles won Pro Comp with his A/FD, I think he may have beat Armstrong's blown alky dragster. That was years before the A/Fuel thing really became a popular combo. Same year Gary Burgin beat Snake.

I was at Indy in '76 when Dave Settles won Pro Comp with his A/FD, I think he may have beat Armstrong's blown alky dragster. That was years before the A/Fuel thing really became a popular combo. Same year Gary Burgin beat Snake.
Yes, I believe Dave said they were No. 1 qualifier on Wednesday or Thursday and then parked the car until raceday. He beat Dale Armstrong in the final after Armstrong red-lighted. Interesting that you mentioned Burgin, I read somewhere he made 8 or 9 qualifying runs that weekend!

One year at Pomona, 1970's I think, the Pro Comp final came down to Settles in a back motor A/FD with 426 Hemi, VS Don Enriquez in the Adams & Enriquez front motor A/FD, with 392 Chrysler. A & E had stunned everyone with 6.70's in an old car, but Settles won. I think Settles set the record at 6.65??? That was a great race.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back