1000' racing article (1 Viewer)

if the nhra said tomorrow, no more funny cars, only top fuel dragsters,
inevitably some fc racer would say 'i think this is the best move for nhra right now' :eek:
- any older track with short shutdown is 'historic'?
- but the new tracks are great, or the 'bellagio of strips'?
- shouldn't the us nats.(max TV time) be held at a 'bellagio'?
- the event is historic, not the strip of asphalt.
- indianapolis motor speedway is historic; a magnificent racing complex
- dragstrips are asphalt, guardrails, bleachers and a tower, not much to lose
if the facility is past it's prime...........and bleachers move
- nhra.com the 2011 nat. event schedule no longer mentions the "Xth" annual

Last edited:
"- shouldn't the us nats.(max TV time) be held at a 'bellagio'?
NO!
- the event is historic, not the strip of asphalt."
Absolutely incorrect sir!

"- shouldn't the us nats.(max TV time) be held at a 'bellagio'?
NO!
- the event is historic, not the strip of asphalt."
Absolutely incorrect sir!

sorry, have to respectfully disagree with you although i know i'm in the minority on this one.

they could move the track and have basically the same fallout as from
the "C" and 1000' racing.........the nhra would showcase it's biggest race
at it's best facility.....why does that not make sense?

the superbowl is never played in the same location twice in any given 2 years;
and it is always played in modern stadiums accomdating 60k+ fans
and plenty of luxury boxes. (yes, the superdome still fit's the bill)
LA has stadiums but no NFL team.....why? stadiums suck.

sorry, have to respectfully disagree with you although i know i'm in the minority on this one.

they could move the track and have basically the same fallout as from
the "C" and 1000' racing.........the nhra would showcase it's biggest race
at it's best facility.....why does that not make sense?

the superbowl is never played in the same location twice in any given 2 years;
and it is always played in modern stadiums accomdating 60k+ fans
and plenty of luxury boxes. (yes, the superdome still fit's the bill)
LA has stadiums but no NFL team.....why? stadiums suck.

Mike, That is what the World Finals used to Be, it floated from track to track every year. No Track should have more than 1 race a year.

d'kid

I still prefer 1320 but on the list of things I would change 1000ft is well down the list. It still takes several passes for me not to think the cars are shutting off early. Years of 1320 just doesn't go away.

What makes it worse is now that I go to less NHRA events and more other events. I get to to see 1320 and realize what I am missing.

I wouldn't mind seeing them go 1320 on the tracks that have enough shutdown. You would add a second chance for records and points. Add another dimension of driver and crew chief ability. Baseball has different dimensions everywhere they go. Nascar, who we sadly copy enough, has different track configs so why not.

I wouldn't mind seeing them go 1320 on the tracks that have enough shutdown. You would add a second chance for records and points. Add another dimension of driver and crew chief ability. Baseball has different dimensions everywhere they go. Nascar, who we sadly copy enough, has different track configs so why not.

I agree completely.

the only real problem i see with 1000' is that when the speeds creep back
up like they already are; the least expensive fix is to shorten length again.

racers have complained that slowing the cars would be too costly, and they
are most likely right, but to take the least costly avenue by shortening track
length IMO puts NHRA pro nitro drag racing completely in jeopardy.

1000' the folks are living with it - with rare exception, the finish line is still
past 'the last set of bleachers' (perception is reality)

IMO shorten it anymore and the fans will leave

i don't understand the 1/8" mile racing in the ADRL (both in US and Qatar).
i can understand it from the racer's perspective
i can't understand it from the spectators perspective - there's nothing there;
a 5.00 second 1/4 mile run is quick enough.

the only real problem i see with 1000' is that when the speeds creep back
up like they already are; the least expensive fix is to shorten length again.

racers have complained that slowing the cars would be too costly, and they
are most likely right, but to take the least costly avenue by shortening track
length IMO puts NHRA pro nitro drag racing completely in jeopardy.

1000' the folks are living with it - with rare exception, the finish line is still
past 'the last set of bleachers' (perception is reality)

IMO shorten it anymore and the fans will leave

i don't understand the 1/8" mile racing in the ADRL (both in US and Qatar).
i can understand it from the racer's perspective
i can't understand it from the spectators perspective - there's nothing there;
a 5.00 second 1/4 mile run is quick enough.

The thought of 1/8 mile scares me. I've seen it twice (one was nitro). Hated it. I don't want to say I'd walk away from the sport but don't see how I'd be interested enough to stay.

- shouldn't the us nats.(max TV time) be held at a 'bellagio'?l

you make a very interesting proposal Mike. Your reference to the Super Bowl is a very good point also. It moves every year, and it is still the Super Bowl no matter where it takes place.

If they move the US Nat's to the Bellagio, it's fine with me. It if they want to move it someplace different every year, I'm good with that too.

After all it's not like it would be the first time that was moved. If I recall correctly, Indianapolis is at least the third home of the US Nat's.

Ill throw my Kent Brockman two cents worth in here.

Now sure I am only 28, but I've been going to the track since my birth. When they first went to the 1000ft mark, I was against it. The following year I took in my first 1000ft race at Houston Raceway Park. It got me at first, I'd turn to my friend and go "Damn he clicked it early" After a few more runs I started to get used to it, that by the end of the weekend I was loving it. The racing was that much better!! As far as understanding the ET's that is easy, the numbers make sense to me. I'm lucky in a sense that I still get 1/4 mile racing in Australia and I have fuel cars here quite capable of running in the .50s and .40s. But to be honest after a fuel car round we had here a few weeks ago, I just wish we'd make the switch to a 1000ft. I just find it that more enjoyable. I would rather they stay at a 1000ft running the cars as they are now than slowing them down.

Now 1/8 mile that is another story. If you love great racing, look no further than the ADRL. It is flat out awesome. I mean Matt Smith over the weekend with Frank Manzo tuning him to a 3.558 at over 212 at the 1/8 mile is mind blowing!!

I think some of you need to quit sulking and actually open your eyes and realize that what we do have is still awesome. Depends what racing means to you I guess. I still get excited by low ET's and great close racing. There is a lot of it out there wether it be at a 1000ft or the 1/8 mile.

This is a post coming from someone who's lost a lot of his passion for the sport. Yet I can still find good there.

Regards,

Mike.

If you love great racing, look no further than the ADRL. It is flat out awesome. I mean Matt Smith over the weekend with Frank Manzo tuning him to a 3.558 at over 212 at the 1/8 mile is mind blowing!!

Right there is one reason ADRL is limited to 1/8 mile. Pro Extreme cars will soon be capable of 270MPH in the quarter mile, and the cars just aren't stable enough at that speed. Carnage would drastically increase and 1/8 mile tracks that currenty host ADRL events would be out of the loop completely.

Sure, the race is over in a hurry, but there's plenty of excitement watching a ProX car fire up, burn out, stage and launch. Try it; you'll like it.

Try to like 1000' NHRA nitro racing, too - 'cause it ain't changin'.

Right there is one reason ADRL is limited to 1/8 mile. Pro Extreme cars will soon be capable of 270MPH in the quarter mile, and the cars just aren't stable enough at that speed. Carnage would drastically increase and 1/8 mile tracks that currenty host ADRL events would be out of the loop completely.

Sure, the race is over in a hurry, but there's plenty of excitement watching a ProX car fire up, burn out, stage and launch. Try it; you'll like it.

Try to like 1000' NHRA nitro racing, too - 'cause it ain't changin'.

Pro Extreme Cars would be Death Traps in the 1/4 mile, they are just TOO Light! Those guys would be Fools to take a 2,200 lb car at 250 MPH in the 1/4!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back