• 1320' doesn't matter how much they are slowed

Votes: 24 14.9%

• Total voters

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
In the debate about 1000' vs 1320' Jeff mentioned starting a poll.

I like that NHRA is seeking input so lets give them some meaningful input. The poll doesn't allow exact results but at least it is something. You can vote for multiple options so whatever is acceptable click on.

I guess it will show where the tipping point is for many.

1320' with NO new limits....:eek: you're dreaming, it can't be done.

That's what I was thinking also, if you take that one and the 1000ft racing with no changes it is clear that the majority doesn't want to see the Fuel Cars to be restricted. I am completely in agreement with that and since 1320 with no new restrictions isn't reality, I think leaving it alone is the best option.

there shouldnt be any limits,its how fast you are,if you aree scared to drive that fast,then dont drive

It should be up to the crew chief and the driver how fast they can go and still stop before the sand trap. Different set up for each track would mix it up some.

This is hilarious... For those of you that need to catch a clue, Pro Nitro is ALREADY restricted.

Rev limiters, spec motor sizes, spec valve sizes, gearing restrictions, injector opening specs, FREAKIN TIRES, wing and spoiler sizes.... You think they ave these rules in place for no reason?

Drag racing is already restricted. There is NO SUCH THING as an "Unlimited Professional Drag Racing vehicle". And if next year, the bean-counters on high decide that they want even MORE restrictions, they won't be asking US about it.

And MOST of the people still around today will be there tomorrow.

Want unlimited? Ask the top 5 teams in each pro class if they do. Then ask the rest of the top 20....

there shouldnt be any limits,its how fast you are,if you aree scared to drive that fast,then dont drive

It's not a matter of the drivers being "scared to drive that fast" . To days tires will not do it. Goodyear stated years ago their slicks are good to 350 mph. If we go back to 1320' with no new restrictions, we would be at or near 360mph.

It should be up to the crew chief and the driver how fast they can go and still stop before the sand trap. Different set up for each track would mix it up some.

That'd be nice if each driver were self-insured for all liability, otherwi$e in any incident, the sanctioning body will be picking up the tab for payoffs to avoid litigation.

Do you think NHRA paid for the woman who was killed in Phoenix after Antron Brown's left rear tire came loose, striking the woman on her mobility scooter, who later died at the hospital? Yep.

That's why the crew chief and the driver don't decide how fast.

Not to mention, every one of those options except the first one will cost the teams a whole lot more money to run theory cars.

Not to mention, every one of those options except the first one will cost the teams a whole lot more money to run theory cars.

This I don't agree with. Limiting blower pulley size or fuel pump would be a minimal cost. However the whining from the crew chiefs might be unbearable.:D

http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6566&Itemid=24

As mentioned earlier they are now basically restricted running at 1000'. For that reason do the next best thing - slow em down and go back to 1320. Do whatever Dale Armstrong said in that interview linked above.

Nitro is nitro - sounds the same at any speed, from the stands, 300 is just as fast as 320. They run for an extra second and a half if they were restricted...

To me its a no brainer. But it's not up to me, it's up to everyone, and at least a poll of the audience is a good start.

This I don't agree with. Limiting blower pulley size or fuel pump would be a minimal cost. However the whining from the crew chiefs might be unbearable.:D

Limiting blower size will give the advantage to the bigger teams because they could afford to buy 10 blowers, dyno them and keep the best for themselves. It will come down to who has the best blower. So what do you do, run a spec blower that NHRA gives you? How about all the different blower manufacturers like AJPE, Chuck Ford, DMPE, Force, PSI, SSI and the rest of them. How do you make them all the same?

As far as the fuel pump goes, I ran 5.07 at 303 mph in 1996 with a 48 gallon fuel pump (most teams are between 95-110 gpm pumps), the most basic of clutch management, no ignition management, Dart cylinder heads (read small) and a blower that was probably about 60% as good as we have today. I am sure if Paul Smith had any of that stuff back then, we could of conservatively picked up well over a tenth of a second and 10 mph. Now we are at 313mph!

Next idea? Not trying to be a smart a$$ but even Dale's theories wouldn't work for very long with today's crew chiefs. Within a few races NHRA would be trying to figure out how to slow them down again. Look at it this way...you give a good running A Fuel Dragster clutch management and any percentage they want to run and they will be running in the 4's at over 300mph and that's with NO BLOWER!

I want 1320 back. That's drag racing. It's dangerous. If the NHRA was truly concerned with safety they'd tell all the fans and teams to stay home as driving to the track is the most dangerous part.

Put it back to like it was before the 1000' change then implement small restrictions here and there (just like they always have). What's fun about that is it forces the teams and engineers to invent ways to get around it including GoodYear.

For this fan, part of the excitement is the ingenuity that goes into the cars to make them faster and SAFER, not just the loud noise they make on a 4 second pass.

No kidding huh? Looks like if everybody who hates 1000' racing decided not to go to the races anymore (assuming they went to every race), the stands would have 50 less people in them at best. Sure looks like more than that when you watch TV!!! (sarcasm)

I didn't know that Nitromater was NHRA's gauge for fan input! Read Jon Asher's column about it on Comp plus.....

I didn't know that Nitromater was NHRA's gauge for fan input! Read Jon Asher's column about it on Comp plus.....

I read it and it is pretty funny..for example

Ironically, the opposition from the team owners doesn’t appear to be fact-based. They’re quick to point to the unknown costs of returning to quarter mile racing without having any idea what those costs might be. At this point, prior to any testing, no one knows what additional parts and pieces might be needed.

Did they (the teams and crew chiefs) forget how to run 1/4 mile in the last few years?? Did somebody burn all their accounting information?? They know exactly what it would cost.

It’s also with more than a bit of irony that we note no racer has addressed the quarter mile issue from the safety standpoint, which was the impetus for shortening the racing surface in the first place.

Really?? This is so dumb I am not even going to respond...

Attendance at races subsequent to the 1,000 foot introduction declined a reported 11 percent, and those folks haven’t come back either (although it’s probably safe to assume that the same folks no longer buying tickets are the ones no longer tuning in).

I don't count the people coming in the gate but for the last few years there have been many tracks that have been reporting record crowds!

I love 1/4 mile racing as do most of the other drivers as well...but that being said,you would be hard pressed to find a driver that would want to change from what we have now, to a slower 1/4 mile car. (But if that's what NHRA comes up with, that's what most will do).

It's easy to complain about what is wrong, but it's a lot harder to come up with a way to fix it. Famous old saying..."IF YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM."

No new limits does not equal no rules.

It was meant as the current 1000' rules on everything, just letting them go 1320'.

I'm curious why there are over 900 views and only just over 100 votes? Granted some are people coming back to check but it can't be that many.

Regardless of what they do it will cost the teams money. Granted, they need to be mindful of that when rules are changed, but that can't be your first excuse for not even looking at something.

No new limits does not equal no rules.

It was meant as the current 1000' rules on everything, just letting them go 1320'.

You know that will never happen (TF would be running high 4.3-mid 4.4 at 330mph+ w/current rev limiter and FC low to high 4.6's at 330mph in great conditions) so I don't know why you want to keep track of it. You basically have 2 choices:

1) What we have now

2) 1/4 mile racing with 4.90-5.00 FC's at 290-300mph and 4.70-4.80 TF's at 300 mph

This is hilarious... For those of you that need to catch a clue, Pro Nitro is ALREADY restricted.

Do you really think people think that (I hope no one is)? The way I read it was that further restrictions to further slow down the cars, no one in the right mind thinks they can go to truly unrestricted and return to 1320 or race to 1000ft unrestricted.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back