1000' and some teams (2 Viewers)

slicky

Nitro Member
It seems to me that a few of the teams out there seem to be running stronger now that they are racing to a 1000' as opposed to the full quarter mile . At least they are appearing that way so far . Anyone else notice that ? Some teams have also made it obvious they need that extra 300 or so feet . Interesting .....

This is no knock on anyone, but Team Lucas has always run a 1000 foot set-up:eek:

The last couple of weeks seem like one of those spy movies where the hero clips the right wire at the last second so the bomb doesn't go off.

But when you only have 16 pipe racks, and 17 pop tops show up to race, makes the 12 plus 4 look kinda unneeded. Just wish someone would figure out that Fake 'Excitement' is still FAKE. Run whatcha Brung, and hope You Brung Enuff. It's the top 16 under equal conditions. Welfare Points Race, Welfare Qualifying, What's Next, Dial in and breakouts in the Pro's, and buy backs?

sorry guys, bad morning:eek:

d'kid

U.S Army .... Well,actually they we're rockin the 1320' too.

I was talking mainly about Brandon in the top fuel class . But there are some differences if you look

Then there is the Pedregons , they are looking pretty darn good . What about that Tony Bartone win .

I think that the pedal fest days are gone .

Corey,

If round 3 of qualifying is any indication, expect a lot of peddle jobs today.
but then yesterday was a test and tune in pipe racks... just had to keep it between the lines to make the show...

d'kid

I just think that when they have to pedal it that the extra 320' can make a difference . You wont see on and off the throttle 4 and 5 times anymore .

A 3.80 that the TF guys are running tranlates to a 4.48. Which tells me they are squeezing the tune-up already!

A 3.80 that the TF guys are running tranlates to a 4.48. Which tells me they are squeezing the tune-up already!

High 4.4's and low to medium 4.5's... not squeezing harder... just not melting them in the last 320... same with the pop tops... high 4.7's to mid 4.9's... same tune ups... Roberts pass at Seattle was a mid 4.7... but no booms...

d'kid

Yeah some teams are better at it then others...
You can also see the 1000' helps a ton of teams out as well because its just about 1000' where the guy or girl in the other lane is about to pass them...I'm really not for or against the 1000' foot racing as long as everyone is safe.
Oh and BTW- I'm really hoping for Morgan or JR to get a win here soon!

Look at MPH 316, it didn't take long. These guys are sharp and i bet even with Dale A. HP they would be up there in short time. Face it Drag Racing is all about going fast and faster. Get the tracks that need updating for safety done and get back to 1/4 mile Racing.:D

Look at MPH 316, it didn't take long. These guys are sharp and i bet even with Dale A. HP they would be up there in short time. Face it Drag Racing is all about going fast and faster. Get the tracks that need updating for safety done and get back to 1/4 mile Racing.:D

How do you know they weren't going that fast at 1000 foot all along? before they made that the finish line. That MPH data did not even exist on the timing system.

They are probably just able to tune better , its probably a relief for them knowing they don't have to compensate for the parts breakage after 1000ft .

Someone needs to right a book about this stuff , I would love to know every single thing there is to know about running a nitro engine not just what parts they use but why they use those parts and why they do what they to the motor .

Data recorder is nice too.... Remember, Team K cars were all running 280 at the 660 mark or better...

d'kid

Yep, but that isn't quite the same as the timing lights. Out of curiosity, do the data recorders they run have front wheel speed sensors? Would be more accurate than the rear (tire growth, slippage etc).

The teams get MPH at each timer and yeah they have been running 300mph for some time now.

No they don't. Only at 660 and at the finish line. They can only extrapolate the other interval MPH using their data recorders. They are already going 273-280at 660 feet and the next interval to 1000 feet is 20 feet longer than the 1000 to 1320 interval. In the UK the interval is set @ 990 feet (3/16 mile) which makes more sense as it is halfway between 1/8 mile and a 1/4 mile.

Kinda related, I saw many fuel cars not shut off till well past the 1000' mark at Sonoma.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back