You Tubers in Doorslammers Vs Top Alcohol Dragsters (1 Viewer)

Looked like a very good crowd yesterday. If NHRA got 5% of the gate they did better than most regional events.

Is it just me or was this a very unusual event - I dont't recall anything like it in the past. I'm happy NHRA is trying new things. The alcohol cars definitly need more of the spotlight than they get.
They're not unusual if you've been following Cleetus for any length of time. He has been hosting his own events around the country even before he owned his own race track. The part where he raced against an A Fuel car IS NEW but Cleetus pretty much rented the entire IRP facility this weekend (which is owned by the NHRA) so my guess is they allowed it to happen because he is a "good paying customer". Also, did you see the stands? They were not 100% full, but they were close! Cleetus brought in FAR more spectators to this event than I have ever seen at any INDY divisional events that I have attended in the past. Usually there is less than 50 fans in the stands. lol. (and half of those people are probably friends and/or family of racers who are entered in the event) The NHRA probably lets you do things that don't normally happen if you fill their grandstands and rent both tracks on the property during the same weekend.

I watched the Indy 800 Live stream today. When the race was over, Tony and Leah Stewart came out onto the track to congratulate the winner (Kevin Smith) and make a few comments about the race live on the track PA system. (and the live stream) Tony sounded genuinely impressed with Cleetus's event. He told Cleetus "You put this entire event on yourself, dude you're a kick ass promoter!" (maybe not an EXACT quote, but very close)

And on a side note: Brian Lohnes was in the booth (with another guy) calling the circle race during the live stream and I must say he did an excellent job! Especially considering he's a drag racing announcer calling an 80 lap circle track race. Nice job, Brian!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back