WOW....Bass fishing vs NHRA (1 Viewer)

We can do this all day. But if you want a comparison, here's one. The guy who won the Masters golf tournament a couple of weeks back took home $1.4m. You could win every NHRA event all year, and the championship and maybe win that much. Tied for 8th place got you $232,000.

And there's a reason. There are 25M golfers in the US (yes, that's down a little). But that's over 600 times more than licensed NHRA drivers in the world. Over 40M people watched the Masters on TV -- over 100 times more than a big NHRA TV audience. That also explains why NHRA pays to air their shows while the Masters gets paid 8-figures for TV rights.

It's all just math. Not that hard to understand.

Part of my frustration in this is that the golfing, fishing, etc numbers are driven by participation -- not viewers. The advertisers aren't there to sell watchers, they are there to sell doers, people who fish or play golf. The latest rod or club, or the latest investment, since they know the demographics of the golfers.

This is what makes the article Bobby has on CompPlus about sportsman racing (http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...racers-to-nhra-theres-definitely-a-disconnect) so important. Wally knew it, and I think we often forget it. But a lot of what drives this sport is the 40,000 non-pro drivers out there building cars, buying products, and racing. They are a ton of the engine here, I wish some of the powers that be remembered it more vividly sometimes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back