WJ spanks NHRA (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
Pick up the June issue of HOT ROD Mag and read"Take 5 with WJ". With his usual tongue in cheek fast wit takes them to task. The Firebird fiasco about track prep and the 2 PS crashes, the dodge and nitrous situation,NHRA and Fuel injection and why NHRA puts a space under each line in the rule book. Priceless!

Gonna have to stop at the magazine rack and check it out. I rarely pick up Hot Rod magazine anymore.

It is a good read. The guy is pragmatic and able to relay some of his knowledge in an interview like that in a way that even a moron like me can understand.

The guy doing the interview was out of his league, but WJ saved it. I don't even care for him, but it was a good read.

Hard to believe that the hollow head titanium valves are $800 a pop.

By the way, Hot Rod Magazine has been a good read for the last several years.

Also check out the photo of the funny cars at the Mfg Meet at OCIR. I am so glad I lived in that era of drag racing and got to be there.

Last edited:
Hard to believe that the hollow head titanium valves are $800 a pop.

Yikes, I didn't know they were using hollow head valves, that's pretty insane from a cost standpoint plus I bet those valves don't last as long. But it makes sense as the valvetrain weight is a critical issue with those motors.

I wonder if the pro stock motorcycle engine builders are using those yet, they tend to be a year or 2 behind the 4 wheel pro teams.

Yikes, I didn't know they were using hollow head valves, that's pretty insane from a cost standpoint plus I bet those valves don't last as long. But it makes sense as the valvetrain weight is a critical issue with those motors.

I wonder if the pro stock motorcycle engine builders are using those yet, they tend to be a year or 2 behind the 4 wheel pro teams.

The Buells and Harleys might. George Bryce could answer that.

The latest issue of Race Engine Technology just showed up yesterday. It has a very good multipage article about valves. They talk quite a bit about the hollow head valves, and note that NASCAR has outlawed them.

They don't say who makes them, but I would have to guess that Conrad at Victory would be at the top of the list as far as any valve technology goes.

Or Del West...?

They don't say who makes them, but I would have to guess that Conrad at Victory would be at the top of the list as far as any valve technology goes.[/QUOTE]

The latest issue of Race Engine Technology just showed up yesterday. It has a very good multipage article about valves. They talk quite a bit about the hollow head valves, and note that NASCAR has outlawed them.

They don't say who makes them, but I would have to guess that Conrad at Victory would be at the top of the list as far as any valve technology goes.

We were using them in 2007, I'm sure most are using them now.

Or Del West...?

[/QUOTE]

Yes Del West makes them, can't remember the cost but I want to say they were almost double the price.

The part where he talks about the people that run NHRA as being the biggest problem with sponsorship on race cars I found the most intresting.

Pick up the June issue of HOT ROD Mag and read"Take 5 with WJ". With his usual tongue in cheek fast wit takes them to task. The Firebird fiasco about track prep and the 2 PS crashes, the dodge and nitrous situation,NHRA and Fuel injection and why NHRA puts a space under each line in the rule book. Priceless!

Jim...what is the Dodge and nitrous situations you referred to? I don't subscribe to Hot Rod.

Thx!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back