WJ at Barrett-Jackson (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
On Speed TV now. Twelve cars away from "Oldsmobile Firenza Race Car". I was told that WJ is there. Should be interesting - many rare muscle cars are bringing half of last year's prices.

WJ and Amato are on now. It sold for 90,000 and Joe Amato bought it.

im shocked that W.Js car only brought 90k. grumpys toy sold for 550,000 last year. the firenza has the actual w.j powerplant in it that was raced in 87. my money is on W.J buying it from amato and getting his motor back then re-selling it as a roller:D

Dyno Dons 78 Mustang only sold for $82k from what i remember mid week.
But the Monkee mobile sold for $330k! :eek:

im shocked that W.Js car only brought 90k. grumpys toy sold for 550,000 last year. the firenza has the actual w.j powerplant in it that was raced in 87. my money is on W.J buying it from amato and getting his motor back then re-selling it as a roller:D

Wrong,the motor is vintage 87 and of no good for todays use. Look @ it this way,how many P/S cars has WJ had over the years compared to Jenkins? If that was WJ's 83 Hurst car,it might have been a different story. WJ told me he could come up with the motor/trans/clutch etc for the 83/84 cars if somebody was so inclined to redo it. WJ supplied the motor and was in for a % of what it brought,why would he want it back? Another reason the Firenza didn't bring what Jenkins Vega did,show me ANYTHING that brought what it did a year ago. Carroll Shelby's personal 69 Cobra conv. only brought $675K and it was supposed to be @ least a Million. The Hemi cars are not doing anything either. The car hobby is taking a major hit just like the economy.

Why didn't they lift the body for a couple minutes.

Exactly what I thought during the auction. Heck, they should have lit it up on 98% and let one of the guys drive it up on stage.

By the way, The pedigreed C1 Corvettes (NCRS Top Flights) did very well, but the E body Hemi and 440 Six Pack MOPARS were 50% off last years prices.

Missing from the bidders floor this year were 3 big money guys. The middle aged heavy set bald guy (usually has a 20 yr old brunette on his lap) that got into it with Craig Jackson last year over his $3.9 bid on the GM Futureliner, the skinny guy who usually sat next to him and the twerp that jumped in the GM concept Oldsmobile during bidding and bought it for a client a couple years ago for $3M. That left Ron Pratt to bid against himself this year. Takes two to run them up.

Sign me up for the ZR1.

RG

Exactly what I thought during the auction. Heck, they should have lit it up on 98% and let one of the guys drive it up on stage.

By the way, The pedigreed C1 Corvettes (NCRS Top Flights) did very well, but the E body Hemi and 440 Six Pack MOPARS were 50% off last years prices.

Missing from the bidders floor this year were 3 big money guys. The middle aged heavy set bald guy (usually has a 20 yr old brunette on his lap) that got into it with Craig Jackson last year over his $3.9 bid on the GM Futureliner, the skinny guy who usually sat next to him and the twerp that jumped in the GM concept Oldsmobile during bidding and bought it for a client a couple years ago for $3M. That left Ron Pratt to bid against himself this year. Takes two to run them up.

Sign me up for the ZR1.

RG
The ZR1 is just wicked and is Ron Pratt the same guy from Pratt & Miller C5R/C6R Corvette road racing cars?

Some of my favorites last night were any of the Shelby Mustangs, the ZR2 Vette, the red Boss 429 Mustang and the "Rondine" Pininfarina Vette.

The Grump's Vega was important part of drag racing history. The Firenza is an easily forgotten race car. Dyno Don's Mustang didn't fair as well.

012.jpg

I'm glad to see the "collector musclecar" insanity take a nosedive.. First, a million bucks for a production line car bought by a guy that plans to park it in a temprature controled glass room is personally disgusting to me, especially when these cars can now never be owned by someone like you or me..

Just as homes went to ridiculous "values" and now the market has proven that it couldn't support that burden, I hope we are seeing the return of the "sensible" pricing for these cars. As a fan of this sport, we have the most to be affected by this psychotic increase in pricing- no other motorsport uses this wide a variety of classic cars as its foundation. For the prices of EVERYTHING in the musclecar era to get so incorrectly over-inflated can only damage the sport that actually uses these cars on a regular basis.

To see a beautiful car sell for 10 times its sticker is difficult to swallow; to see it sell for 50-100 times that price is obscene. That Mike's or WJ's rides went for such a pittance also just confirms that this whole event has become the new modern version of the Roman orgy for the disgustingly undereducated wealthy.

Off my soapbox- back to the game...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back