Wing Stress (1 Viewer)

Bullet

Nitro Member
I was looking at this photo of Urs Erbacher on NHRA.com and noticed the wing appears to be flexing due to the downforce.

I was looking at this photo of Urs Erbacher on NHRA.com and noticed the wing appears to be flexing due to the downforce.

Paul,

I was also going to post this, there have probably been many top end shots over the years that I've looked at, but this is the first where I have noticed the slant on the right (left if looking at pic) side of the wing.

Mike

You mean WINGS, plural, don'tcha?

Lay a ruler on your monitor screen and line up the outermost corners of the FRONT one-Yeah?

There is some sort of an agreed-to spec on TF (rear only, I THINK) wings- don't believe its part of the SFI 49.1 spec but something between NHRA and the two or three wing providers. (I know lawyers were involved). Anyway a degree of flex and I THINK a return time to level is part of it

There could be other MYSTERY agreements between the pros and NHRA's higher ups that fans aren't privy to, but that may be yers truly's inherent para-noya.

Someday go to an airport and watch the jets land. If you have never seen it before it will scare the **** out of you. Flex is good.

I have seen this before, this shot just shows it a lot more pronounced.

As for the Airliners... I remember flying to the US from Australia back in '94 as a 15 year old and was looking out the window at the wing as we taxied out. I then remember looking out the window once we were off the ground and the wing was GONE!!! :D

Could this be an illusion that happens when heat waves are given off?

Much like a desert highway off in the distance looking wet?

Could this be an illusion that happens when heat waves are given off?

Much like a desert highway off in the distance looking wet?

WHAT... There's NO WATER!!! No wonder I ended up on Pacific Coast in California before I hit all that water!!

From Dallas it looked like it was just by Ft Worth!!

:) :D

It's not an illusion, it's supporting about 8,000#s of force coming down on it. What would you do with that force applied to you?

damn. I didn't realize your an Aerodynamic engineer. Or did you just stay at a
motel 6. (or however the commercial goes)
:D

damn. I didn't realize your an Aerodynamic engineer. Or did you just stay at a
motel 6. (or however the commercial goes)
:D

An engineer yes, just not an aero one.

Watch a slow motion funny car run, you would think the carbon fiber body was a sheet in the wind.

I always liked the way our buddy Steve Evans put it. He was describing the downforce pressure on one of the broadcasts and he made the comment, "picture about a 1956 Buick bolted to those wing stands". Great line.

Dave

All I know is that when those metal struts fail at about 1300' going over 290 mph - it gets reeeeaaaal ugly. I saw Connie Kalitta's happen in Houston. You shoulda' seen how many pieces that car was in!

An engineer yes, just not an aero one.

Watch a slow motion funny car run, you would think the carbon fiber body was a sheet in the wind.

I seem to remember that when they first started using the high quality slo-mo cameras, some of the crew chiefs were a bit taken aback by how much the bodies were flexing at the top end.

Whew! Glad nobody caught , or even paid attention, to my post last nite re: wing specs.
For a guy who's first dragster went down a drag strip in 1963 (8.68 ET, by the way), I shoulda done my homework.
The TF wings ARE controlled by the 49.1 spec- the wing TREE is part of the N spec. SORRY for the miss-lead.

On the subject of the FC bodies waving in the wind, yrs truly has been told that even though someone as prestigeous as ROUSH builds most- they don't SEEM to consider where the aero loads are and what needs to be done to strengthen specific heavily -loaded places

Comment from the very respected ROO on this?

Registered member said:
On the subject of the FC bodies waving in the wind, yrs truly has been told that even though someone as prestigeous as ROUSH builds most- they don't SEEM to consider where the aero loads are and what needs to be done to strengthen specific heavily -loaded places

I'm sure Roush's fab operation would be happy to build a carbon fiber body reinforced in the right places. Unfortunately, no one knows what those places are. Roush could certainly assist with real time or wind tunnel testing. After their help, you would have a body that cost more than everything else you have invested in your team. Unobtanium!

I'm sure Roush's fab operation would be happy to build a carbon fiber body reinforced in the right places. Unfortunately, no one knows what those places are. Roush could certainly assist with real time or wind tunnel testing. After their help, you would have a body that cost more than everything else you have invested in your team. Unobtanium!

Don't want to start a debate that could deteriorate in -to BOREDOM, but one thing NHRA seems to be doing WELL is keeping the aerodynamics of the FC bodies on a fairly level playing field. I understand that wind tunnel tests ARE done on them.

It's a pretty simple matter with nothing more than old technology manometer tubes (ever leveled a mobile home?) stategically placed to determine the pressures on the body will provide some pressure relationships that MIGHT give body-mounters a clue or two. There's gotta be way more sophistacated stuff cheaply available 2-day

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back