Wilkerson knows he has to be perfect (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]POMONA, Saturday: Qualifying is complete at the Automobile Club of Southern California Finals and all that remains is race day results to determine the 2008 NHRA POWERade Funny Car champion. Funny Car favorite, Tim Wilkerson has been the point leader for most of the season. But it has come down to the wire and tomorrow he will be in the midst of the toughest battle of his career and he knows he has to be perfect. Wilkerson needs to go rounds in his Levi, Ray & Shoup Chevy Impala so he can bring the coveted championship home to Springfield, Ill.

On today’s first pass, Wilkerson made his best run of qualifying, an impressive 4.151 at 300.33. But on his last attempt, he smoked the tires and coasted across the finish line at 7.360 at 85.00 mph. He goes into race day sitting in the No. 13 qualifying position.

“On our first pass, it did just about what I was looking to do,” said Wilkerson. “We tried something a little different on our second run there and it just backfired. It was not enough motor and too much clutch.

“Maybe I’m getting all my dumb stuff out of the way on Friday and Saturday. I hope so because we need to be perfect tomorrow I think in order to win this deal. And if we’re perfect, we deserve it and if we’re not, then the other guy does. We’ll see how it goes.”

Wilk knows he has to take tomorrow one round at a time and his first-round match-up will be tough. It’s against a champion himself, the legendary, John Force.

“I’m pretty sure we can make it do what we want it to do tomorrow,” expressed Wilkerson. “Now, whether it’s enough to beat John Force or not, I don’t know. Because man, they’re going to jack that thing up because they need me out of there for Robert (Hight) to win. So, it’s going to be exciting. It’s going to be good for the fans and that’s what we’re here for. And hopefully, we can get it done.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back