Wild Horse Testing (1 Viewer)

I really wish this was fully open to the public, this would be a golden opportunity to give new fans or even the most casual fan a chance to see what a big show top fuel car is all about. I know I've talked about this test with several co-workers who would be interested in going but a little hesitant on dropping the $50 for a ticket for something they are not sure they would be into (even though I've hammered home the fact they will be awed by what they see)

I dont think this many teams have shown up for the test since the mid 2000s.

"I really wish this was fully open to the public, this would be a golden opportunity to give new fans or even the most casual fan a chance to see what a big show top fuel car is all about. I know I've talked about this test with several co-workers who would be interested in going but a little hesitant on dropping the $50 for a ticket for something they are not sure they would be into (even though I've hammered home the fact they will be awed by what they see)"

Yes, I agree. Charge $10.00 a pop, sell drinks, make some money. While test sessions for the fuel cars end up being largely 60' squirts - which are not much to get excited about - some do run to the finish line. Plus the relaxed atmosphere of these deals could make it a fun day out at the drags for cheap.

the argument is if you go to the test, nhra thinks they will not attract you back (more money) for the national not very long after that.
maybe if a ticket price for the test was incredibly reasonable, would it deter someone from paying more to see the actual race?
maybe a cheap test ticket would attract a curious fan (friend of a drag racing fan), who would otherwise never pay the national event price, and maybe now would after seeing test?
glass half empty or full?

New fans at a test session is a double edged sword.
Some will see the spectacle and want to come back for a "Real Race"
Some will see mostly half track runs or launches and get the idea that, that's what a race looks like and it sucks.
Those of us who have been around a while understand what testing is all about.
But I have heard people leave a test complaining that there were only a couple of 320 MPH runs and feeling "Cheated" that they didn't get to see more.

I went to the NASCAR test in Phoenix this week, lots of cars making laps, nobody passing, nobody running two or three wide, very little on track "Action" and I thought that if I had never seen a NASCAR race and this was my first exposure, I wouldn't buy a ticket to see this. But knowing it was just a test, I understood what they were doing.

I look at it as a bonus for fans that want to come, not as a penalizing those who don't follow the sport enough to buy a race ticket.

If I was the track operator who didn't have a
National Event, I would look at it as my only chance to sell Nitro tickets and a chance to steal ticket sales from anther track, and that's a different story.

I know that not everyone agrees.

Alan

New fans at a test session is a double edged sword.
Some will see the spectacle and want to come back for a "Real Race"
Some will see mostly half track runs or launches and get the idea that, that's what a race looks like and it sucks.
Those of us who have been around a while understand what testing is all about.
But I have heard people leave a test complaining that there were only a couple of 320 MPH runs and feeling "Cheated" that they didn't get to see more.

I went to the NASCAR test in Phoenix this week, lots of cars making laps, nobody passing, nobody running two or three wide, very little on track "Action" and I thought that if I had never seen a NASCAR race and this was my first exposure, I wouldn't buy a ticket to see this. But knowing it was just a test, I understood what they were doing.

I look at it as a bonus for fans that want to come, not as a penalizing those who don't follow the sport enough to buy a race ticket.

If I was the track operator who didn't have a
National Event, I would look at it as my only chance to sell Nitro tickets and a chance to steal ticket sales from anther track, and that's a different story.

I know that not everyone agrees.

Alan
Bingo. I don't know what the fan policy was or how many fans there were at the Phoenix test this week, but I was at the Charlotte road course test back in October. Open to fans, and you didn't even need a ticket at all, nobody at the gates, just park and walk on in. There were maybe 20 fans there in the middle of the day max. And keep in mind, this is Charlotte, more NASCAR fans per capita than anywhere else on the planet, and there's still nobody there. The diehards are really the only one's interested in coming to a test, and they still can assuming they have a ticket to the national event. As for the casual fan, there just isn't enough interest, and the tracks are just better off getting them to come to the national event instead, where they're making more money and those first time fans are seeing the best version of drag racing. Just my two cents

Testing tickets $28 IF you bought a ticket to the Nat'l race at Wild Horse.
I agree w/ die hard fans. I would go out to the track even if it was raining, hoping that it wasn't raining there, or would clear up. heh

I would think some people would like to go for it being more laid back. You could have more opportunities to meet drivers and crew. Less people around so you could see more of the after runs action.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back