Why John Mulligan's 6.43 was so stout (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
At the 1969 U.S. Nationals, the late and very great John "the zookeeper" Mulligan hustled the bad a$$ AA/FD to a awesome 6.43 pass. You say what is the big deal about that? The run lasted as the quickest until Gerry Glenn drove the Schultz & Glenn digger to a 6.41 at Lions....in June of 1971! It took that long to eclipse Mulligans stout pass.

TopFuel@Lions

At the 1969 U.S. Nationals, the late and very great John "the zookeeper" Mulligan hustled the bad a$$ AA/FD to a awesome 6.43 pass. You say what is the big deal about that? The run lasted as the quickest until Gerry Glenn drove the Schultz & Glenn digger to a 6.41 at Lions....in June of 1971! It took that long to eclipse Mulligans stout pass.
That was a helluva pass for the time, and amazing the 6.43 held up for so long. Equally amazing was the fact that less than 3 months after Glenn’s 6.41, Big ran 6.21 at Indy!

TopFuel@Lions

TopFuel@Lions
was hyzdrazine -in use? I was there and I never will forget the zookeeper--- only one equal in all my favorites Kool Olsen Connie - Marvin Sw and so on and so on. Lot of tears also good memories lucky to live this great life been there and lived it. Mike K

I heard a story that said if Mulligan had not crashed, the car could have run 6.39 or so. That car had a cast iron 392 Chrysler.....

was hyzdrazine -in use? I was there and I never will forget the zookeeper--- only one equal in all my favorites Kool Olsen Connie - Marvin Sw and so on and so on. Lot of tears also good memories lucky to live this great life been there and lived it. Mike K
Tim Beebe never ran hydrazine.

He did Cliff but it not better Mulligan's run.

Best NHRA runs of 1970
1. Snake-6.43-IRP
2. Snake-6.45-IRP
3 .Jim Nicoll-6.48-IRP
4 .Brian Budd-6.49-IRP
5. Danny Ongais-6.49-IRP
6. "Big"-6.50-Gainseville
7. Danny Ongais-6.51-Lions
8. Snake-6.52-Fremont
9. Tom Raley-6.53-Dallas
10. Danny Ongais-6.54-Lions
11."Big"-6.55-Gainseville
12.Tony Nancy-6.55-Fremont
13."Big"-6.55-IRP

As can be seen the 70 event at IRP has the most of the big runs of 70.

TopFuel@Lions

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back