Why Funny Funny Cars are called Funny Cars (1 Viewer)

Among us old timers, the term 'funny car' as it originates from the odd-appearing altered wheelbase FX cars of the 60s is well known. Once the flip-top bodies came to be, the term 'flopper' became commonplace. Later on, NHRA decided to add a bit of professionalism to the class name and rebadged it 'Fuel Coupe' but the term never stuck.

The first funny car I ever witnessed making a pass was Big Mike Burkhart driving the Doran Chevrolet Camaro - at Green Valley Raceway in Ft. Worth, Texas. May that wonderful old track rest in peace. His car ran similar ETs (but with about 20mph more trap speed) to today's Factory Stock Camaros...we've come a long way....but it would probably have picked up 3 or 4 tenths and broke 200mph had Burkhart's 400-pound heft been replaced with someone along the lines of Ron Capps.

Funny cars were also called "floppers" and "shake & bakes" (cuz of the fires they had). Always thought Fuel Coupe was a great name, but....

“Plastic fantastics” was another term used.
Several years ago I think it was Hot Rod magazine that wanted to get away from the term “funny car” and use “fuel coupe” instead.

“Plastic fantastics” was another term used.
Several years ago I think it was Hot Rod magazine that wanted to get away from the term “funny car” and use “fuel coupe” instead.
Was it Hot Rod or Car Craft? Or maybe both? Same publisher.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back