Why do all the NHRA tracks have bumps? (1 Viewer)

Just curious, how tracks in Europe don't have bumps???:rolleyes:

All of them!

Santa Pod has a bump at about 800ft in the left lane. Can cause quite a lot of problems. The bikes seem to suffer more as they get to 800ft and get slammed back on the bars.

I think every track in the world has bumps, i just think John couldn't think of anything else to type...

Will we see you in Sweden in two weeks John? Home of the uphill Drag Strip with a short run off? Details here: http://www.veidecfestival.com/

i would expect all of Brutons tracks to get smoother soon...

last winter they did a deal at Texas (oval track) in turn one and two.... they drilled holes under the track.. ran a hose deal under it that had small holes in it.... then pumped in a slury of some sort.. not sure if it was concrete or some type epoxy deal... but it seaped thru the hose and brought the low spots up to take out the bumps some.. not completely but it helped a ton ....

Billy

Captain Chaos and Vandergriff got to the finals - track can't have been too unequal.

As for using the number of wins to determine whether the lanes are unequal - as long as the drivers with lane choice keep picking the same lane, there will be more wins in that lane, even if the lanes are absolutely equal, since they have demonstrated a performance advantage in qualifying or the prior round in order to get lane choice. Drivers with a perceived performance disadvantage tend to take a shot at the tree or "tip the can" in order to even things up and both strategies tend to lead to a bad outcome.

Bristol's new surface appeared to give the racers a fair shot, regardless of lane choice. Sure, it was hot and slick, but that's part of the challenge the crew chiefs are paid to overcome.

As for using the number of wins to determine whether the lanes are unequal - as long as the drivers with lane choice keep picking the same lane, there will be more wins in that lane, even if the lanes are absolutely equal, since they have demonstrated a performance advantage in qualifying or the prior round in order to get lane choice. Drivers with a perceived performance disadvantage tend to take a shot at the tree or "tip the can" in order to even things up and both strategies tend to lead to a bad outcome.

Larry...I respectfully disagree. If the lanes are truly equal the drivers won't all choose the same lane. They all choose one lane because they feel it has an advantage over the other lane. That's not based on prior performance, but on their lane inspections prior to pulling in to the water. And yes...drivers in the slow lane usually take a shot at the tree because they have a slower car and because they're in the slower lane. Unequal lanes have been a big problem in Pro Stock this year. For whatever reason NHRA and the local tracks can't supply an equal set of lanes. That's too bad because it makes for a very predictable show, and some ticked off competitors that really didn't have a fair shot at winning.

If you guys really think the lanes are equal, stop giving them lane choice...I dare you.

The real question is why is the world round...

But, is it more a question of more comparing lane at 200-330 ft, then 400- 900 feet... then 1000-through the lights along with the first 60 to a hundred feet.... where is your car set up to do what... that's the question...

or why are no two slices of bread from the same loaf the same?

It ain't a perfect world... I can think of two utter things that are never Identical.... But I like them both...:eek:

At 300 plus mph, you might feel a bump that would not be apparent at 150 or even 250. Your moving at 450 ft per sec. So bumps that are several hundered ft. apart will be only felt at that high speed. A real flat track does not stay real flat for very long.

If you guys really think the lanes are equal, stop giving them lane choice...I dare you.

I've heard someone say before (can't recall who) that a good tuner could win from any lane on any day.

Kind of goes back to the principle of race the track not the guy in the other lane.

That being said - I can think of a number of ways to decide who gets what lane without it being unfair. (Not at all saying the current system is). Something like a draw from a hat (Right or Left). But to decide who draws, you have to do something. That's dependent on another factor.

I'm not saying this is the best thing to do - but hey - it would sure add some excitement! That's what the NHRA is all about right? :rolleyes: <cough>[Countdown]<cough>

DLB

I know it is difficult to get the transition from concrete to asphalt smooth(and keep it) , and the effects of weather on asphalt(live in Illinois) is it Dallas that is all concrete? Does it have bumps, can't remember?
Also, the Autobahn in Germany, used different technology from that used in the USA, does the Autobahn have bumps?

Lee
Nitroclovers

Dallas is an all-concrete track but the groove is considered to be very narrow. I don't know if they did that track in a continuous pour or if it's segmented since I've never actually had my car on it. I'd guess it's segmented since I can't fathom doing an entire 1/4 mile in a continuous pour. Thunder Valley here in OK is also an all-concrete track.

North Texas dragway (1/8th mi.) I believe did resurface with a continuous pour track, I happened to see all the trucks lined up on the side of the highway when it was happening.

Dallas is an all-concrete track but the groove is considered to be very narrow. I don't know if they did that track in a continuous pour or if it's segmented since I've never actually had my car on it. I'd guess it's segmented since I can't fathom doing an entire 1/4 mile in a continuous pour. Thunder Valley here in OK is also an all-concrete track.

Despite the use of reinforcing steel integrated into the concrete pour, expansion joints are a must. The joints have a specific function to perform during expansion/contraction and, when it does it's job to maintain the integrity of the concrete the by-product can be inconsistency in the surface. This is why they pour freeways 12 inches deep. They have to grind them smooth every once in a while to compensate for the ever-changing surface.

BIR was new a few years ago - i thought i remember someone saying
that the first 700 ft. of concrete was one piece - pinned/anchored
at the transition so the entire slab could move with the earth below?
never knew if this was true or not?

Yes, Dallas Was one pour... under tension with no expansion joints... what I don't know or have heard, is if there has been any repairs since Billy built it

A bump or dip in a real world road might not even be felt. But at 300 mph in can cause the car to unload, even for an instant. losing traction and the race

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back