Who is on deck? Best not quite Crew Chiefs (1 Viewer)

JL

Nitro Member
It is very clear that there is a shortage... I know DSR is building quite the braintrust as Force has done.

Thoughts? Is Jason McCulloch ready or in that role?

I think he would be ready to take the next step. He is AJ's right hand man, correct? Between his Dad and AJ, he has a wealth of knowledge and practical experience. Just my .02

Late.......Mitch (patiently waiting for the activities to begin 2.5hrs north of my location)

you know what is sad, it's all a big soap opera and like a chick click,
Ronnie Swearingen is one of the best tuners out there but he don't fit in with the click, that's why the Bama Boys get along so well with Ronnie we go
against the grain, thats what makes it so fun and we still win not kissing
butt

G Kelly

Man, there's so many smart guys - and girls out there right now all over the pits it's hard to pinpoint just one. These days it almost doesn't even matter if you're working "under someones wing" or on someone's team already. If you're smart, and can get along with people, you really have a chance anywhere.

Crew Chief is a very over rated title in my opinion....Most guys that have been involved w/ a fuel car for @ least the last 5-8 years could get a car w/in two-tenths of a record w/out any previous data. Most of these cars have basically shelf/store bought parts....
When I first got involved w/ fuel racing my partner person was Marc Denner, who had never worked on any type of drag car, and look @ him today...Chris and him share duties and make most of the calls....

I have worked on many blown fuel/alcohol cars that could of ran better but the crew chief did not ask for any input from the team.......image and egos are huge in the fuel circle....

#1 Kevin Poytner.......should have title of crew chief...easily

This list could get deep.....

Obviously this is just my opinion.

The "shortage" of crew chiefs is the result of a shift in the last few years to what more closely resembles co-crew chiefs or a car chief and crew chief combo. Everyone has a "right hand man". Most of these men have the ability to be crew chief but not the RIGHT oppurtunity. Many have learned the hard way that a short funded team can kill a reputation. Even though dollars are less, goals remain high. Also, timing becomes an issue. An oppurtunity in the middle of a season means all the good crewmen are working and not available. This leads to second and third choices that usually have less to do with ability and more to do with chemistry. Bad chemistry can doom a team more quickly than less talent.

In my opinion, there are a number of "crew chiefs" waiting in the wings.

Crew Chief is a very over rated title in my opinion....Most guys that have been involved w/ a fuel car for @ least the last 5-8 years could get a car w/in two-tenths of a record w/out any previous data. Most of these cars have basically shelf/store bought parts....
When I first got involved w/ fuel racing my partner person was Marc Denner, who had never worked on any type of drag car, and look @ him today...Chris and him share duties and make most of the calls....

I have worked on many blown fuel/alcohol cars that could of ran better but the crew chief did not ask for any input from the team.......image and egos are huge in the fuel circle....

Surely you jest.

Crew Chief's are plenty! but sciencetist's are very LIMITED, and if you want to win you need an Expert!:cool: JD

Todd Okuhara has a younger brother named Scott who has been with him in the game almost from day one. I hear he is doing quite well under Ace on the Brut car.

Tom Anderson....
Donnie Couch....
Jimbo
Schultz B.
Geoff Scarp

There are alot of nitro tuners out there...ya just have to look...

Sad part is I think he believes this.

How many Championships would John Force have won without Coil? Scelzi/Tony Shoe without AJ? This is a Tuners sport, if it were about driving ability Ray Alley would still have a job!

don:

no drinking for ronnie for at least 6 months he made a great turn
in his life and has been in church, his problem he didn't hide in the closet like some of the rest like i said, we are not hypocrites,Ole Joe speaks the truth
i do get tired of drivers are so wonderful, it's the tuner in nitro except alcohol guys and girls have to do some leaving at 6 grand, shifting and driving not just
step on the gas!

Bama Boys

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back