Where's the Crowd? (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Huge crowds at Maple Grove (before the rain) and Vegas, I for one wish like heck I could be in Pomona. I watched my taped qualifying show and I was surprised that even Saturday looked very thin in the stands.

Probably staying home where it's warm. I talked to my dad this morning and he said it's not been real pleasant weather for sitting in the stands the past 3 days.

There was a decent sized crowd, neither large or small. You have to be understanding of us California folks - it was in the low 60's and windy. We consider that freezing! :D:D

I got to the fairplex around 9am or so and there were no lines of cars on the street in front of the gates. Usually there are lonnnng lines there.

At the ticket booth, there was no waiting. No lines of folks at all. Uusally there are long lines at every window. I breezed right on in.

There were vast sections of empty bleachers. I only sat in section 22 or so at the top end, but it was definitely unusual for the finals to be so sparse.

BTW, I paid $58 for a general admission ticket. Due to unfortunate recent events, I think times are going to get tough here in America. I certainly hope not, but if they do, the writing is on the wall and the proof is in the stands: NHRA lower your ticket prices.

Also, fairplex raised one day parking to $15, up from $10.

Last edited:
Strange to hear it was sparse, I sat in a long line to get in backed almost to the freeway. Got there around 9:00am and the parking lot was annoying slow too. I sat in section 2 and it was packed, and from my point of view general admission was not too shabby either. The parking guys seemed confused where to send people since the preferred parking was done away with. They kept telling me to move forward then another attendant told me I had to turn around:confused:..........no way.
I made a quick left and just parked on the easy side to exit from.
Some great racing made it all worthwhile. Maybe because I am originally from NY but the weather was beautiful and I sat all day in a t shirt, not cold at all.

I thought Saturdays crowd was sparse but it was downright cold and the forecast was calling for rain. We sat opposite pitside Sunday and looking at the Main grandstand I'd say it was 70% full when the fuel cars ran. Best crowd for a Sun there in years. Certainly better than last Nov. It was a helluva race, course the Finals usually are! Loved seeing Courtney take out Capps, Cruzer winning and best part of the wknd was hanging and talking with Tom Hoover in Corys pit Sun. Great guy with some great stories to tell.

Also, fairplex raised one day parking to $15, up from $10.

I have been crying about it for a few years now. I would love to see NHRA's ticket prices lowered, but it is not necessarily what is keeping folks away from the track. People are SICK of being nickel and dimed. $15 to park and then walk a half mile??? $7 Hot Dogs??? $30 T Shirts??? $9 beers??? $4.50 per gallon for gas to get there??? I think most people just say eff it and watch when they can on the TiVo. And if you have kids ... that is a very pricey day ... forget the whole weekend!

This nickel and diming has extended to all aspects of our lives ... from cable or satellite TVs to cell phones to high speed internet packages to airlines to sporting events to buying anything online to going to the movies to insurance companies. There is going to be a backlash against this corporate greed/sanctioned theft on some level ... and given the big drop in NFL attendance (that no one is talking about ... curious) and the huge hit NASCAR has taken this year in attendance and ratings we are seeing the first few ripples in the pond. I certainly hope the NHRA can avoid the coming tsunami.

Or, I could be wrong LOL.

There is a grandstand at the top end that has not been used in several years. What you do is give that set of stands it's own entrance and exit where the pits are not accessible. Then sell that section of 20.00 each day a head and call it family seating. That way people who can't afford to go cad, NHRA makes more money and you don't have an empty grandstand on TV. It's a simple solution I'd say.

Last edited:
After living in Southern California for a few years, you'd be a wussy just like the rest of us.;):D:eek:

To be quite honest, I'm a heat wussie. Anything past 85 degrees and I'm toast. It's why I live up here. The cold has never bothered me a bit. Not one whit, but the heat??? :eek:

There is a grandstand at the top end that has not been used in several years. What you do is give that set of stands it's own entrance and exit where the pits are not accessible. Then sell that section of 20.00 each day a head and call it family seating. That way people who can't afford to go cad, NHRA makes more money and you don't have an empty grandstand on TV. It's a simple solution I'd say.

I understood this grandstand was kept closed by Federal Aviation Authority ruling because it's located so close to the flight path into Brackett Field.

But I could be wrong of course.

Yes lower ticket prices. Yes 10-15 dollars to park is bad news on top of high admissions.
NHRA needs a cheaper formula for the nitro cars. 2-3 million a year to run for joke purses in a time of few real sponsors. It all won't last forever this way.

The aspect of parking that pi$$ed me off was the fact that it was $12 on Thursday and Friday, then $15 on Saturday and Sunday

I have pictures from 2006-07 with those stands full!

Yes, I was there both those years too and seem to recall the stand in use. I just recall hearing or reading somewhere since then about this FAA thing. I've noticed the stand covered in a huge tarpaulin, at least on some occasions since then.

Be interesting to know the truth.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back