Clay's tire shredding at LVMS (1 Viewer)

rpasley

Nitro Member
I'm really surprised that the second 330+ mph TF slick explosion in four races hasn't generated more news. I know track debris was blamed for the Reading incident but haven't heard anything about the cause in Las Vegas. Kalitta got lots of (deserved) praise and concern for his blowout at Maple Grove but Millican's episode yesterday at LVMS barely garnered a comment for either his equally skillful response or the fact it's alarming to have very similar incidents so close together. I can't even recall the last time a Goodyear exploded on a TF car before Doug's.

I'm really surprised that the second 330+ mph TF slick explosion in four races hasn't generated more news. I know track debris was blamed for the Reading incident but haven't heard anything about the cause in Las Vegas. Kalitta got lots of (deserved) praise and concern for his blowout at Maple Grove but Millican's episode yesterday at LVMS barely garnered a comment for either his equally skillful response or the fact it's alarming to have very similar incidents so close together. I can't even recall the last time a Goodyear exploded on a TF car before Doug's.
Who knows if anything was on the track as windy as it was

It sure looked like the tire went the same time the engine did, maybe shrapnel from the explosion. Clay wasn't pointing any fingers, maybe he thinks the same.

The run before it looked like Hart had a couple body panels get damaged which might have been the reason for the fods mat before Clay’s run. Can’t really see much at the time the tire went down, but on .tv replay, earlier in the run, it looks like a piece of debris comes out from under Clay’s car.

Could very well have been a piece or paper or something unrelated to why the fods mat was out there to begin with. Regardless Clay did a great job holding on to it.

I'm just glad the complete wing stayed on. Didn't even take off a spill plate. It sucks they damaged the car, that was 2 in 2 races. Now they have to really thrash for Pomona.

The run before it looked like Hart had a couple body panels get damaged which might have been the reason for the fods mat before Clay’s run. Can’t really see much at the time the tire went down, but on .tv replay, earlier in the run, it looks like a piece of debris comes out from under Clay’s car.

Could very well have been a piece or paper or something unrelated to why the fods mat was out there to begin with. Regardless Clay did a great job holding on to it.
I believe on Harts car the wrap was coming loose

Pedregon kept insisting he saw something escape the engine itself. I never could see it; it all happened too fast. They did give kudos to Clay for his ability to save the car and himself; Busick brought it up too.

Clay is also a very lucky man. Here's what happens when the wing comes apart:

Hope it didn’t tear up Clay’s car. This was the backup as the primary got tweaked at Dallas.

Hope it didn’t tear up Clay’s car. This was the backup as the primary got tweaked at Dallas.
It did. The car is bent. Yes, it was their backup car. It had fresh pipe on the front and back..... and now it needs to be fixed again.

You can hear more in Clay's newest video on YouTube.

Great video. Watching the video, there was something on the track during his first round run. You can see it flying out from either under or by his car at the 32.23 mark. It could have been simple trash or something left on the track. Here is a screenshot with it circled.

Attachments

• IMG_2764.jpeg
    IMG_2764.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 177
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back