What is the Future? (1 Viewer)

We’re you Going to rent cars that run on gas when they stop producing them, I guess there will be more renta wrecks popping up, no thank you

We’re you Going to rent cars that run on gas when they stop producing them, I guess there will be more renta wrecks popping up, no thank you
There are many things that will come out of this and one is that is maybe drag strips that are located in areas where noise is a problem will be allowed to stay and not forced to close down.

Regardless I believe electric cars are here to stay like it or not! I am 74 years old, and I will certainly miss watching the drag racing from the early 60s but time marches on and either you adjust to it or you get left behind the choice is yours.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill

You do not need to "have your house rewired" to charge the car. ALL current electric cars will charge at home on 110V that is in your house now, it just takes significantly longer to charge from zero.

I can tell you this, the Tesla Model S P100D was HANDS DOWN the quickest car I have ever driven. Put it in "Ludicrous Mode" and hit 60MPH in 2 seconds and 100MPH in less time than almost any car does 60. It will flat rip your face off and squeeze the air out of your lungs. And it was a 2017 model. The new Tesla Roadster will smoke that 2017 Model S. I don't really care about any "green agenda", but I would love to own a Tesla or a Porsche Taycan and drive around town and hurt feelings all day long.

You guys can wring your hands and play Chicken Little regarding the future of cars, but we have access to amazing technology right now, and it is only going to get better. I am EXCITED for what the future holds.
I stand corrected Mr. Cook. One can charge an EV through a standard 110V outlet. I guess it was the Level 2 charging that got me confused (I'm playing the old man card here).

Home Charging Solutions: Level 1 & Level 2
There are two types of home charging: level 1 charging and level 2 charging.
• Level 1 charging happens when you charge an electric vehicle (EV) using the charger included with the car. These chargers can be plugged with one end into any standard 120V outlet, with the other end being plugged directly into the car. It can charge 200 kilometers (124 miles) in 20 hours.
• Level 2 chargers are sold separately from the car, although they’re often purchased at the same time. These chargers require a slightly more complicated setup, as they are plugged into a 240V outlet which allows charging 3 to 7 times faster depending on the electric car and the charger. All of these chargers have an SAE J1772 connector and are available for online purchase in Canada and the USA. They usually have to be installed by an electrician.

I have driven a doctor friends Tesla and I must admit, I thought I needed an HANS device it was so quick. As for drag racing, if it's not the future why was/is Garlits so interested in what he did to achieve 200 MPH in an electric dragster? I doubt I'll live long enough to see the total disappearance of the sound of drag racing, so I'm gonna enjoy it while I can.

Just food for thought, would have to believe it would be super easy to program your index/dial in to go dead on with a zero with a EV

No love for hydrogen on here? That's the long term future, not electric. Cheaper to produce, faster refills, equal or better range than full electric.

And yeah, yeah, I always hear "Hindenburg" when this topic comes up. That's a red herring.

I remember seeing natural gas cars at a strip once.

When you live in a state with rolling blackouts due to electrical wires causing forest fires, and you have to have your car charged up for your family to escape the forest fires.....

When you live in a state that has no power due to freezing weather stopping all the wind generators, and you need to have your electric car charged up to move to warmer climates.....

When you live in a state that had no electricity for over a week straight because of Hurricane Sandy, and you find out all that gasoline you saved is useless for your electric car.....

When you live in a state with rolling blackouts due to electrical wires causing forest fires, and you have to have your car charged up for your family to escape the forest fires.....

When you live in a state that has no power due to freezing weather stopping all the wind generators, and you need to have your electric car charged up to move to warmer climates.....

When you live in a state that had no electricity for over a week straight because of Hurricane Sandy, and you find out all that gasoline you saved is useless for your electric car.....
Wow, Bob, that's a very astute observation. One I had not thought of, anyway, but then I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, lol

There are many things that will come out of this and one is that is maybe drag strips that are located in areas where noise is a problem will be allowed to stay and not forced to close down.

Regardless I believe electric cars are here to stay like it or not! I am 74 years old, and I will certainly miss watching the drag racing from the early 60s but time marches on and either you adjust to it or you get left behind the choice is yoursars ar.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill
Jim I did not mean to say electric cars are bad, very impressed with performance hp and range, just don’t like the carbon foot print they have before you even drive them off the lot because of the way most battteries are shipped back and forth across the oceans as well as what do you do with the batteries after there worn out, can’t land fill them, very toxic, Tesla has solar panels thet can charge real time 220 with good light, we need to solve these problems before I can embrace owning one

I have always thought about hydrogen cars. Biggest fear was hydrogen exploding. The current technology may prove to be the best in the end. Would love to drive one of these & see how it runs in the real world. But where do you refill on hydrogen? That has to be solved if anything ever happens w/ these cars.

There's your first problem. LOL
My daughter and her husband just build a new home and the cost for 3 charging stations in their garages was around $30,000 dollars.
They were expecting the costs to be around $15,000 dollars, but there was some miscommunication between the builder and the electrical company and instead of just doing one of the garages and did three of the garages with charging stations.

Jim Hill

Tesla rented Bakersfield last Wednesday and one of their cars of the future went 9.23 at 153. Dont know anything about it other than it hauled ass..

Cliff, GM played around with hydrogen cars in the 90.s and they only generate enough run the car so its not like a rolling bomb

Like to see them bring hydrogen cars to Arizona, especially Phoenix. See if they can take the heat.

In SoCal most cities have gone to natural gas for their busses. They have worked great for years and the maintenance is very low on the engine side and they polute much less than diesel. GM offers NG for some of their vehicles. A conventional gasoline car can be converted relative inexpensively. Down side is refueling stations.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back