What happened to......... (1 Viewer)

Jet

Nitro Member
Watching all the ESPN NHRA races from the 90's has stuck a few questions like what is:

AL Hoffman
Chuck Etchells
Jim Epler
Richard Hartman
Bruce Sarver
Robert Reehl
Kenji Okajaki

Are doing now?

Anybody know?

Bruce Sarver took his life 2 years ago. Very sad deal.

As far as the rest of your list I am unsure. I know someone will chime in and let you know.

Thanks,
Shannon

Watching all the ESPN NHRA races from the 90's has stuck a few questions like what is:

AL Hoffman
Chuck Etchells
Jim Epler
Richard Hartman
Bruce Sarver
Robert Reehl
Kenji Okajaki

Are doing now?

Anybody know?

AL Hoffman.... Retired from Funny cars.... He's into street rods now I think
Chuck Etchells.... Also Retired from the FC category... sold all of race his stuff (I think) ... Dont know what he's doing now
Jim Epler.... Not sure what he's doing but his wife was part of the DRAW organization
Richard Hartman..... I think he's into the nostalgia FC's now
Bruce Sarver.... Shannon already answered this one. (see above post)
Robert Reehl.... Not sure but I've seen him post on a few other boards.... he's still around.
Kenji Okajaki..... He's doing his own thing back home but he was just here in the US at a race last year hanging out with Big Jim Dunn's team.

Sorry for not being more detailed... This is all I know :)

Epler is way into the import dragracing..
Richard Hartman helps tune Litton..
Reehl could qualify @ most races in Top Fuel anytime as he is majorly involved in blown alcohol/fuel parts..

Hoffman sold his house, bought a motor home and is "going to travel the USA"...currently has said motor home at a RV park in Florida.

Chuck Etchells former Camaro Nitro funny car body just won at the Gatornationals last month riding atop Mickey Ferro's Ryco Hydraulics/City Carting TAFC entry...

I think Epler import deal ended a couple of years ago. Lisa Kubo was her driver and when she left it seem to go away.

I believe a saw a bit about one of these guys returning to the family business that was the only one in the Western Hemisphere that produced brass gravure printing cylinders. They are used to replicate antique wallpaper for historical building/home restorations. Pretty sure it was Chuck, but as Joker said, I'm old! - Jim

Richard Hartman is the crewchief for Bruce Litton. Kenji Okasaki was in Vegas last fall, I believe he's doing some TV motorsports work for Japanese Television.

Chuck Etchells former Camaro Nitro funny car body just won at the Gatornationals last month riding atop Mickey Ferro's Ryco Hydraulics/City Carting TAFC entry...

Yeah another one of his bodys (entire car?) is on Dale Creasy Sr car also. Replace the white with yellow, and you have an instant Sunoco car!

I always like that Sunoco car too.

While we are on the subject of 'Where Are They Now' I was watching the old 'Shoebox Dream' video the other day and was wondering what ever happened to some of these driver & cars:
Dave Riolo & 'Temptation'
the Soft Seal '57 Chev
Wayne Torkeson's T-Bird
'Christine' Ford
Bob Bunkers '55 Chev.
That video sure had a lot of very tough cars in it!
Also, did the '57 Chev Funny Car of Tom McCewen only ever make the one pass at Pomona?

Tim
Dave Riolo is still building engines... Haven't seen him run in quite a while... But just not sure... I just know he builds a lot of motors out there though...

Bob Bunker is still running the wheels off his car... I see him at Sac. all the time... I'm not sure how Steven Bunker who posts on here alot is related to him yet... But the Folsom Flash is alive and well... Ran very well at the last race at Sac.

Wayne Torkelson... Here you go... * Torkelson Motorsports

Something else you may be interested in...
GasserMadness! Tri-Fives - part 1

Not sure about your McEwen question... I thought he ran it more than Pomona... Just a guess though...

Last edited:
While the race this weekend is in Las Vegas......
What became of Las Vegas resident Gary Clapshaw ???
He started off in Gresham,Oregon,in 1989 he bought Kenny Bernstein's funny cars and started Fuelih Pleasure Racing. Later he switched to Top Fuel,loaning his car to Don Garlits for the U.S.Nationals.......where is he now ???

While the race this weekend is in Las Vegas......
What became of Las Vegas resident Gary Clapshaw ???
He started off in Gresham,Oregon,in 1989 he bought Kenny Bernstein's funny cars and started Fuelih Pleasure Racing. Later he switched to Top Fuel,loaning his car to Don Garlits for the U.S.Nationals.......where is he now ???

John,

He sold his fuel car to a racer in Australia, that's all I know

While we are on the subject of 'Where Are They Now' I was watching the old 'Shoebox Dream' video the other day and was wondering what ever happened to some of these driver & cars:

the Soft Seal '57 Chev

Tim, I believe your talking about Rob Vandergriff. He used to be one of my fav's growing up. I havent heard anything about him for years.

About A Month Ago I Heard Through A Mutual Friend That Clapshaw Is Back In His Home Town Of Forest Grove, Oregon.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back