What happened to the Bud Shootout? (1 Viewer)

lmhb oyf

Nitro Member
Is there something this year to replace it or does Top Fuel no longer have a "race within a race" bonus?

I must have missed something along the lines somewhere.

In 2007 the title rights to the Top Fuel Classic, or whatever you want to call it, went to the Technicoat people out of Las Vegas (for the uninformed, that's simply "The Cowboys."). At the conclusion of the race they decided not to renew. (There's a lot more to it than that, but whatever I might write at this point would be judged as being anti-NHRA, so I'll stop right there.)

NHRA's Marketing Department was unable to attract another event sponsor, so there's been no low qualifier money all year, and there'll be no "special race" during the AC Delco Nationals in Las Vegas.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

In 2007 the title rights to the Top Fuel Classic, or whatever you want to call it, went to the Technicoat people out of Las Vegas (for the uninformed, that's simply "The Cowboys."). At the conclusion of the race they decided not to renew. (There's a lot more to it than that, but whatever I might write at this point would be judged as being anti-NHRA, so I'll stop right there.)

NHRA's Marketing Department was unable to attract another event sponsor, so there's been no low qualifier money all year, and there'll be no "special race" during the AC Delco Nationals in Las Vegas.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

Thank you Mr. Asher answering that question and Drew for asking that question. I always wondered what happen to it.

In time this entire saga will come to the light of day and I suspect we will be somewhat disappointed with the sanctioning body when the entire story is finally told. I fear that due to lack of competition (for now) there is a lot being swept under the rug and just accepted as "the way it is." I can say as one who really loves NHRA drag racing, it's getting quite disappointing the more I hear. Now, where's that Larry Morgan T-shirt?

I wonder what the Total price tag to sponsor this event....???? Hmmm $100,000 to win.... each event Bonus....Top 8 getting a piece.... plus marketing... I'd say adds up to at least $300,000 per year? Wonder how close that number is? And, if no takers at that SMALL investment.... What does that say about the Strength of Marketing our sport? And what did NHRA do to P#SS in the Cowboy's Bowl of Cherrios?

...There's a lot more to it than that, but whatever I might write at this point would be judged as being anti-NHRA, so I'll stop right there. ...

But Jon, didn't we learn as children that the Truth Shall Set Us Free?

Funny, about the only time I've heard the statement these days is on episodes of COPS (no comments necessary, I agree that I need a real life) when the police officer says it to whoever he's just spreadeagled against his car.

The perps all seem to have a learning disability in that they think if they spill the beans THEY will be set free - and not that the law enforcement officer is simply giving them a chance to clear their guilty conscience. The scenario illustrates the principle that sometimes a zipped lip keeps life from getting unpleasant, and furthermore that criminals are often pretty brainless along with their apparent lack of morals.

There really is a moral to the above couple of paragraphs and it has to do with another couple of old sayings:

"Discretion is the better part of valor";

and

"Return to fight another day".

People get on the enemies list all the time, some for very good reason and others for pretty ridiculous reasons.

I'll throw one more old saying into the mix:

"It's a bunch better not to be on the list."

Please note that I am not referring to Richard M Nixon's enemy list, a State Department manifesto, or things needed to be bought on the next grocery trip.

The list may or may not exist and people may or may not be on it - and may or may not suffer varying degrees of isolation for their membership therein.

OK, I think I danced around that enough for one post, and hopefully the people who are not official website newsmanagers don't perk their ears up to issue a scathing message stating that I have no idea of what is really happening on the inside.

Last edited:
Now, where's that Larry Morgan T-shirt?

So I went on an Alaskan cruise last week, and I get off the ship yesterday in Seattle and head to SEATAC airport to wait for the 240pm flight to Vegas (couldn't work out the logistics to get to Pacific Raceway) ... who gets on the plane but Larry Morgan! Picked up a connector in Vegas to Columbus. Anyway ... I asked him if he had any of those shirts left and he said all you have to do is call the shop and they will sell you one ... reasonable price I would assume.

I wonder what the Total price tag to sponsor this event....???? Hmmm $100,000 to win.... each event Bonus....Top 8 getting a piece.... plus marketing... I'd say adds up to at least $300,000 per year? Wonder how close that number is? And, if no takers at that SMALL investment.... What does that say about the Strength of Marketing our sport? And what did NHRA do to P#SS in the Cowboy's Bowl of Cherrios?

Tim, you are very close...In 2007, I had some conversation with the NHRA on behalf of a client for the Top Fuel Shootout property and they were asking for $450,000, but probably would have taken in the mid $300,000 range because the way I understood it was that Technicoat stepped in at the last minute with a one-year deal...

I don't know the circumstances around itand if there is bad blood between Technicoat and the NHRA, but Asher if ya got the goods, I'd be pretty curious...Maybe a PM if not cool here?

Anyway, the NHRA again is doing nothing again to market the sport, so I have sorta been watching from a distance as they continue to deteriorate the coolest sport on the planet...

Pretty soon we'll be watching "Nitro" cars run 4.80's again though....just too bad it will be on the 1/8th mile, at the rate they are going...

I think I'll start watching the Naked Swedish Bikini Team Oil Wrestling Competition now...lol

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

First of all Jon, I'm not trying to instigate anything, back you into a corner or whatever, but if the "lot more to it than that" is the truth, who cares if it's anti-NHRA? That never stopped you before, which is the reason my respect for you is as high as it is.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back