What do you think of the new staging lights? (1 Viewer)

It's hard to say what to do. The driver's may love it, but the fans are not diggin it. Color blind is an issue as well, either way the system needs to be tweaked and I don't think it will require alot of work.

Maybe a white outer ring to pre-stage and a full inside blue to stage. Staging needs to be more obvious than just the different shade of blue now

Staging needs to be more obvious than just the different shade of blue now

It's not a really a different shade of blue. Look at the picture in this story:

Count Robert Hight and Greg Anderson as fans of the new staging lights the NHRA is using - ESPN

It's a ring of blue, with a line across of white. The top half of the ring comes on for pre-stage, and the whole ring with the cross bar (as shown in this picture) for stage. Not sure who/why that scheme was chosen, but there it is.

The dividers are on the tree to prevent people in the full tree classes (the classes where the tree is staggered, one lane starts before the other) from getting two shots at the tree. If you can see both lane's yellows, the faster car is at a clear advantage. They can release their button on the other guy's light, and then on their light, and the smarter boxes can choose between the two reaction times, leaving on the faster of them. The faster car already has a strategic advantage at the end of the track (they are the chaser, not the chased), the dividers prevent them from getting this additional advantage. This is also why you'd have to be careful about putting additional lights in other places as they could just key off of those.

Also, the size and specifically height of the tree is something not to be tinkered with lightly. Many vehicles (notably Pro Stock Cars and Funny Cars) have very limited viewing capabilities, especially around intakes, and the tree needs to be clearly visible. That's one of the reasons why the new staging lights are so preferred, as they put two functions in the physical space where one light used to be.

Thats right, I forgot about all the electronics and have made sportsman racing almost impossible to watch. I try to explain sportsman racing to new people I take to the events and it is very difficult for them to comprehend. Its no wonder we have a shrinking fan base..................

Thats right, I forgot about all the electronics and have made sportsman racing almost impossible to watch. I try to explain sportsman racing to new people I take to the events and it is very difficult for them to comprehend. Its no wonder we have a shrinking fan base..................

Sorry that sportsman racing isn't for you. It's for the racers.

Sorry that sportsman racing isn't for you. It's for the racers.

CLW...

I think you just made the point everyone has been Tap Dancing around.

The tree is for the racers, plan and simple... when I'm in the stands, I do not watch the tree, I'm looking at the cars, at the rear tires if I'm at 150 feet out, at where the car is in reference to the lane if I'm standing out past half track.

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back