What a shame... (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Nitro Member
I'll grant you, he wasn't necessarily a threat to whip up on anybody, but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Jeff Diehl working hard every weekend to chase his dream.

Unfortunately, I knew as soon as his flopper met with the retaining wall his season was likely over, especially after reading the article about him in National Dragster and confirming what we already knew - he was on an extremely limited budget. Damn shame, but I'm glad he's alright and I hope he finds a way to get back out there soon.

As a side note, there's another example of just how much down force those headers provide, huh? Wow!

I agree that it is a shame what happened to Jeff. I also enjoyed watching him put in one heck of an effort in with a budget that is probably less than a major teams food service bill. I hope they are able to get things back together, but it does not look good. Thanks for the effort JEFF.

Remember when Ray Higley's header came off?I think his launch was mostly from running it over so far down the track,but spectacular as well.

Last edited:
Yes, I totally agree. You DO hate to see that. I've known a few nitro racers now, who were in the same situation; literally not buying groceries and having the family daily driver car repo'd because of lack of payments - - giving it all up so they could drive 500 miles in a dually somewhere and attempt to qualify; and have it go down the shidder in a blink of an eye. I think some fans out there lose sight of that; which is easy to do these days when you walk into a FTDRS event and see rows and rows of tractor trailers and seemingly endless company names & colors everywhere.
Best of luck to those guys

I'm sorry this had to happen to Jeff, he's a good man. Hope he can get out there soon....

That said, how do you forget to tighten the bolts to a header? :rolleyes: The crew guy that did that should get a stern talking to. Or be canned.

and not to sound selfish because E-Town's this weekend, but after last year's turnout, I would Not Want anybody to have to miss a race, especially e-town. Now we have 14 FC which will probably be the field, only improvement (other than Pro Mod) is Pro Stock Motorcycle with 20 bikes up from 16, TF is stagnant right now, I hope Bobby Lagana & Rit Pustari enter to bump that up too, Pro Stock isn't a major problem although I'm shocked to see the Cunningham cars no longer on the list (Erica and Jim aren't running apparently which i don't understand esp when Cunningham is from Maryland) but everybody else The Alky cars, FC has 13 dropping from last year having a solid field, and days ago there were 15 Alky FC on the list, now Dan Roman and Frank Schuster have dropped off, time is running out before the event begins thursday and I fear This year may have a worse turnout than last year.

Edit as of 2:09 EDT we have 15 FC with Schriefer & Dale Sr running, hopefully Dale Jr runs as well.

Edit: as of 2:32, Dale Creasy Jr's Running, Hopefully Bode will run, I'm watching the entry list like a hawk because isn't there like a deadline today to enter the event?

Last edited:
I find it very hard to believe that the exhaust blast has enough pressure to lift that car up on it's side,I would sooner believe it ran over the exhaust header with the rear slick.
Not saying it's impossible, Just saying I doubt it.:confused:

I find it very hard to believe that the exhaust blast has enough pressure to lift that car up on it's side,I would sooner believe it ran over the exhaust header with the rear slick.

Sorry Paul...

He did not run over the header before it lifted off the ground.

Same thing happened to Hight a couple years ago testing. Lifted the car right off the ground. Ray Higley- same thing in Dallas when he rear ended Force in the shut down area.

AH Yea it can. A pro AA/Fuel motor produces about 1000 lbs. of force per side its not to hard to put out 250 lbs of force per cylinder out the pipes

Last edited:

Did you watch the telecast? It's difficult to argue with visual proof.

After the header first came off and lifted the car it appeared the counter-effect of the headers on the right side still producing down force caused the car to almost turn over in mid-air.

Regardless, I'm glad Jeff walked away.

It is a damn shame. And once again hard to watch a little guy trying to make the big show and losing the battle. At least he is ok and can have the opportunity to come back.

That was one hell of a wall slap and that neck brace would be bronzed and hung on the wall.

Hopefully he can come back and with some support too!

So was it in fact the header left loose?

Watch the complete race replay tonight on ESPN2 at 1 AM CST/midnight EST
You'll see the header hanging from the car by a brace and the exhaust going down and lifting the car........

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back