Well I guess Matt Smith was right. (1 Viewer)

Kalitta did OK with half that combo.
Yes - So did Prudhome & Pete Robinson, but it wouldn't qualify for Pro Stock in Todays World. Also you didn't have to rebuild the Motor every pass back then. Pretty sure Cliff was thinking about Small boosted engines that could make 4 to 8 HP or more per cubic inch on Nitro when that HP is made at a Zillion RPM when peak torque is around 5250 RPM + or - 200/250 RPM. You can't beat a Tack Hammer up & down real fast and get the same results as one Giant blow with a 20 pound sledge.

A bit more clarification about what was going on with the PSB rule change regarding fuel. It doesn't seem like it was specifically targeted at the Vance & HInes team, but on the performance of the Suzuki's as a whole. I guess we will find out in a week!
https://competitionplus.com/drag-ra...usses-nhra-implementing-sunoco-sr18-only-fuel
Many - many years ago when there was "Top Gas" and not really much checking of Gasoline you would notice some of the cars really smoked at idle. It was because they had a lot of Toluene added to the gas which is oily so it smokes. It even got to where the class was called the "Blackie Carbon" cars. You could buy Toluene at Paint stores for about $2.50 a gallon if you brought your own can (I'll Bet🙄). About 6 ounces in a gallon of Gas would let you change the timing from 27/28 degrees to 34/36 degrees in a blown Chrysler engine without detenation. Back then it was a Tuning secret - not really cheating. The reasoning was that if they didn't say you couldn't do it everything was fair game. Once NHRA started checking and specifying fuel, adding Toluene was not allowed. Tim Kulungian's explanation really makes sense. The new spec gas is more friendly to high reving engines. As a side note you can't even buy Toluene easily in California after Prop 65 because it is Toxic & Carcinogenic AND it is used to make illicit drugs.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back