Way to go Peggy! (1 Viewer)

After the sad emotions earlier in the day, this type of emotional joy was just what I needed.

Seeing her emotion over holding her first Wally brought me tears of joy rather than the tears of sadness earlier in the telecast.

She helped salvage the day for me. A first victory is always a moving moment, but this was extra special with everything that happened during the day. it was a very cathartic win I think.

Good luck to Peggy as she races now for her first championship. Whodda thunk?

I am stoked for Peggy and team. I met her at the Racers for Christ service in Memphis. She was a very nice lady.

I'm not a big fan of the bikes but that was one clutch performance. The way Peggy held that trophy was . . . too much for words.

CONGRATS PEGGY !!! Way to show them how it is done .I do not know of to many more people more deserving than you !!!!!

Wahoo! Congrats Peggy and the whole team! And to her crew guys who hung out in the campground with me and some of my friends......glad you enjoyed celebrating! ;)

It's always good to see First Time winners in the Winner's circle! I think Peggy has a Bright future in this sport, how many Black females are there in Motorsports?:rolleyes:

She's black? She's female? I just thought she was a dang good bike rider. Didn't think anything else had anything to do with it. Talented for sure.

Talk about pressure. George filled her with confidence and gave her something constructive to think about that kept her emotions in check until the time was right...after the finish line.

We met Craig Treble 13 years ago when we went to Japan to do some races with our TA/FC. He rode his bike and the Japanese loved it. We've been friends ever since, although I don't see him that much. But if I know him he is as proud of her accomplishments as anyone else, albeit at his expense.

FYI, we have a friend who is Asian. One time she asked my wife and I "How many Asian friends do you have? I couldn't think of any. For the next few days I thought about it and came up with quite a lengthy list. The next time I saw her I said "I thought about your question about how many Asian friends I have. I had no answer because I couldn't think of any. But the reality is, I do have a lot of friends...and many happen to be Asian. But I don't classify any of them in that catagory. So much so that I couldn't even recall if my friends were or weren't what you asked at the time" She told us she has asked other people the same question and she seems to get the same response. I said "Good. You don't need to label your friends as anything else but friends. I hope my friends don't classify me as the big heavy set older white dude with thining hair that is turning grey."

I guess I'm a little different. I look at Melanie, John, Peggy, Ron, Hillary, Nancy, Tony, Kate, Antron, Dave and Robert as great role models and talented racers. Nothing else. This is the year 2007, not 1967.

RG

She's black? She's female? I just thought she was a dang good bike rider. Didn't think anything else had anything to do with it. Talented for sure.

Talk about pressure. George filled her with confidence and gave her something constructive to think about that kept her emotions in check until the time was right...after the finish line.

We met Craig Treble 13 years ago when we went to Japan to do some races with our TA/FC. He rode his bike and the Japanese loved it. We've been friends ever since, although I don't see him that much. But if I know him he is as proud of her accomplishments as anyone else, albeit at his expense.

FYI, we have a friend who is Asian. One time she asked my wife and I "How many Asian friends do you have? I couldn't think of any. For the next few days I thought about it and came up with quite a lengthy list. The next time I saw her I said "I thought about your question about how many Asian friends I have. I had no answer because I couldn't think of any. But the reality is, I do have a lot of friends...and many happen to be Asian. But I don't classify any of them in that catagory. So much so that I couldn't even recall if my friends were or weren't what you asked at the time" She told us she has asked other people the same question and she seems to get the same response. I said "Good. You don't need to label your friends as anything else but friends. I hope my friends don't classify me as the big heavy set older white dude with thining hair that is turning grey."

I guess I'm a little different. I look at Melanie, John, Peggy, Ron, Hillary, Nancy, Tony, Kate, Antron, Dave and Robert as great role models and talented racers. Nothing else. This is the year 2007, not 1967.

RG

RG, if it's not racers who buy their way into the Driver's seat then it's riders/drivers who have an appeal to a preticular sponsor. In 1967 most full-time Pro drivers were self funded, in 2007 I can only think of a couple. And like it or not gender and yes Race are Huge factor's to sponsors. If Sponsor A's looking for a White male age 21-35 they'll get 500 resumes' or more. If Sponsor B's looking for a minority or a female Driver/rider to attract a sponsor that otherwise might not ever look at Drag racing. You saying team owner's aren't taking that into consideration? Had Peggy had little or No experience in the sport coming into this year I doubt she would've been given this opportunity to compete.

RG, if it's not racers who buy their way into the Driver's seat then it's riders/drivers who have an appeal to a preticular sponsor. In 1967 most full-time Pro drivers were self funded, in 2007 I can only think of a couple. And like it or not gender and yes Race are Huge factor's to sponsors. If Sponsor A's looking for a White male age 21-35 they'll get 500 resumes' or more. If Sponsor B's looking for a minority or a female Driver/rider to attract a sponsor that otherwise might not ever look at Drag racing. You saying team owner's aren't taking that into consideration? Had Peggy had little or No experience in the sport coming into this year I doubt she would've been given this opportunity to compete.

I'm saying I don't take that into consideration...daily. I am not speaking for the team owners. They can do that for themselves.

In 1967 a guy or gal with a decent job could fund a "pro" team. Match racing F/C's in the early 1970's made many people a living, or at least paid the expenses.

Are you saying Angelle, Melanie, Hillary, Tony, Cruz, or Peggy got the money or ride because they are female or minority? I like to think it is due to their skills.

I like to watch Melanie as an example of someone who can steer a TF as well as the best of them. I like watching the top end shots of her driving. She is very good at keeping the thing in the grove no matter how much her car moves left to right. She's awesome, and being male or female has nothing to do with it. She has talent and ability.

Last edited:
She got a great write up in the National Dragster. I'm really happy for her that she won the race, she always seems so friendly and genuine. I saw her talking to some people in the lanes in Denver while SG was waiting to run and she really seemed to enjoy talking to the fans.

RG

Great Post! Well put........drag racing has so much "diversity" it really is almost a non-issue.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back