Veteran Racer Mike Salinas Sounds an Alarm about the Future of the NHRA (1 Viewer)

So many aspects of this discussion. For starters, NHRA's "big show" is what most on this site discuss. And the biggest problem with the big show right now is the economics of it, but it's always been that way. Years of technological advances have produced performance levels that we once couldn't dream of, but the costs to achieve these performances have gotten out of reach for most people. Easy to say NHRA needs to pay more, but here's a huge component: Every national event has say, 400-800 cars, and every entrant could use a bump in payout. All the other major series' have 20-40 competitors. So I'm not sure what the answer is, other than finding more marketing partners. I was at Phoenix this weekend, and the place was packed, and lots of young fans in the mix. Now, not every race on the tour will be a packed house, and not every race will have full or overflowing fields, but overall I think the big show is in decent shape, for now. The key is NHRA can never rest on it's laurels, like any business it needs to constantly be aware of trends and plan for 3, 5, and 10 years out. As far as nepotism, look at any other form of racing, and I think you'll find plenty examples of 2nd and 3rd generation racers out there.

. . . . . . As far as nepotism, look at any other form of racing, and I think you'll find plenty examples of 2nd and 3rd generation racers out there.
i beg to differ, regarding that comment. In Nascar, Over the years, the starting lineup has maybe a small percent of drivers who automatically inherit the seat, where in NHRA that number is probably more than half the starting lineup. Nepotism comes into play, only when the athlete/Driver is not the deciding factor on a teams success and therefore the owner has options as far as who is chosen to drive. In the stick and ball sports nepotism is all but non existent, as ones success is solely dependent on merit/skill. I haven't done any research to verify NHRA vs. other sports and if I'm wrong than i apologize, but if you've got the audience size of NASCAR and megamillion sponsors to satisfy, than a car owner will think twice about putting his kid behind the wheel in lieu of available superior talent

This is quite a thread. There are two streams to consider. 1) how to keep racers involved 2) how to keep fans involved. Let’s face it, the pro racers are almost all fairly well healed business owners who often get their families involved. If they’re not that rich, they have relationships with sponsors. There is probably no return on investment for the sponsors. The pro show will survive for a while because it’s spectacular, kind of like the circus. People are entertained well.
For participants, sportsman or street car type racing is still popular but can‘t attract people in the stands.
Random thoughts:
I will never watch Hondas and Mazda street cars race.
Electric makes a decent grocery getter, torque is good. But I won‘t be in the stands watching them race.
I‘m entering geezer territory…. Give me more as/gs, 60s stockers, altereds etc.
it’s ok the disagree with Mike S but he has made a very positive impact on the sport. Keep going Mike.

i beg to differ, regarding that comment. In Nascar, Over the years, the starting lineup has maybe a small percent of drivers who automatically inherit the seat, where in NHRA that number is probably more than half the starting lineup. Nepotism comes into play, only when the athlete/Driver is not the deciding factor on a teams success and therefore the owner has options as far as who is chosen to drive. In the stick and ball sports nepotism is all but non existent, as ones success is solely dependent on merit/skill. I haven't done any research to verify NHRA vs. other sports and if I'm wrong than i apologize, but if you've got the audience size of NASCAR and megamillion sponsors to satisfy, than a car owner will think twice about putting his kid behind the wheel in lieu of available superior talent
More than half the starting line up? I looked @ the top 20 in points- 6 in T/F, F/C- If you count Cruz and Tasca 2, plus Steven Densham 3, P/S a half dozen. Hardly half the field wish it was more, see no problem with it, it is cool that Drag Racing gets passed to next generations

More than half the starting line up? I looked @ the top 20 in points- 6 in T/F, F/C- If you count Cruz and Tasca 2, plus Steven Densham 3, P/S a half dozen. Hardly half the field wish it was more, see no problem with it, it is cool that Drag Racing gets passed to next generations

That thinking is part of the problem. Basically unless you’re part of the generation, you have no way in.

If that’s the case it’s no longer a competitive sport, but a hand me down business or hobby like owning a yacht or have end artwork. No skill required, just name and two hands to accept.

That’s really great for driving in new interest. Imagine telling prospective football players they can never go pro unless they had an immediate family member play in the league?

i was merely countering the statement that nepotism goes on in all forms of motorsports and pointed out, in drag racing, it’s the rule as opposed to the exception. I checked the starting lineup in TF, for example and by my count the majority of the full timers got their rides because of there relationship/connections to the car owner. Langdon and Millican strike me as the only 2 that, on the surface, do not have a ‘connection’ to the owner. You are correct, there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving a ride to your ‘kin’ or driving the car yourself, I was just disagreeing with comparing other motorsports with drag racing regarding the level of nepotism

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back