Veteran Racer Mike Salinas Sounds an Alarm about the Future of the NHRA (1 Viewer)

Current NHRA suits are to set in there ways to change. Need a recent example ... 2022 TFH Gainesville

Coming from a guy who comes and goes as he pleases.

He's racing on his own dime. That's the downside when you're funding yourself.

He's been saying this for a couple of years now, as far back as when he jumped in a Jr. dragster himself. Now he's taking action to try and do his part to promote the next generation.

Mike says nhra doesn't do enough to bring young people into the sport. Then uses jr. dragster as an example of bringing youth into the sport. Guess who started and heavily promotes jr. dragster??nhra. Mike is great but this is not a valid argument

I think Mr. Salinas is talking out of his ass on this one. Perhaps he should do some research before opening his mouth. Sure, we need more youth, but to say it is all old men is false.

Several quotes from the article:

"Just look around. There's a big disconnect. Look at the age group. There's no young kids here; there's very few. To sustain a culture, any culture, what does it take? That will tell you how many more years and this will be gone."

“But these powers that be (in the NHRA) don't see it that way. They're not replenishing young people into this sport. You got to reinvent it all the time. I would have those import guys here, racing with the little noisy cars, because those are the Top Fuel drivers of tomorrow."

I ran the numbers on the ages of the drivers in each pro field from this past weekend's race. The average age of each field is as follows:

Top Fuel- 45.25 years old- Youngest- Austin Prock 26- Oldest- Mike Salinas 60

Funny Car- 51.50 years old- Youngest- Bobby Bode 20- Oldest- John Force- 71

Pro Stock- 38.90 years old- Youngest- Mason McGaha 20- Oldest- Rodger Brogdon 61

What we have is a reflection of any profession in America. You have a mix of people of all ages. If you average the age of employees in your place of work, I'll bet the numbers are pretty close to the NHRA averages.

Looking at Pro Stock, 25% of the field is under 30, 56% of the field is under 40, and 81% of the field is under 50. I doubt 81% of anyone's workplace is under 50 years old, with the possible exception of a stripper!

Additionally, Mike laments the age of several major owners and focuses on DSR's reduction of teams this year. I think the split is a good thing. As we have seen, drivers have been able to create their own teams and have been able to secure or bring sponsorship with them and the on track product through 2 races has been some of the best I have seen. I believe eventually some of those teams will grow into 2 or 3 car teams and they will replace the current "old guys" as the top owners in the NHRA. Sure, John Force is getting old but he will most likely be involved long after he stops driving. If not, I think his team is in good hands for the next generation.

In closing, yes the NHRA needs to do a better job of recruiting younger drivers and fans. But to say they have failed at doing so or that the sport is in a dire situation is a farce. Mike is suffering from "rich guy I can do better syndrome." If that is the case, put your money where your mouth is. I think we are all in agreement that another sanctioning body would be a good thing. It just so happens that there is one sitting there ready to go. All it needs is an injection of cash and someone with the skills to implement it. This is your chance, Mike, buy the IHRA and get it going!

He's racing on his own dime. That's the downside when you're funding yourself.

He's been saying this for a couple of years now, as far back as when he jumped in a Jr. dragster himself. Now he's taking action to try and do his part to promote the next generation.
Spencer, yes, the grudge/no prep/ "Street Outlaw" type racers continue to grow...but very few if any are coming into the Lucas Oil series or big $ bracket races. He does reference that group of racers and even says NHRA should be bringing them in...very difficult if its a drag radial or no-prep car, as you saw this weekend it can be done, just takes a few passes to get the set-up correct

I think Mr. Salinas is talking out of his ass on this one. Perhaps he should do some research before opening his mouth. Sure, we need more youth, but to say it is all old men is false.

Several quotes from the article:

"Just look around. There's a big disconnect. Look at the age group. There's no young kids here; there's very few. To sustain a culture, any culture, what does it take? That will tell you how many more years and this will be gone."

“But these powers that be (in the NHRA) don't see it that way. They're not replenishing young people into this sport. You got to reinvent it all the time. I would have those import guys here, racing with the little noisy cars, because those are the Top Fuel drivers of tomorrow."

I ran the numbers on the ages of the drivers in each pro field from this past weekend's race. The average age of each field is as follows:

Top Fuel- 45.25 years old- Youngest- Austin Prock 26- Oldest- Mike Salinas 60

Funny Car- 51.50 years old- Youngest- Bobby Bode 20- Oldest- John Force- 71

Pro Stock- 38.90 years old- Youngest- Mason McGaha 20- Oldest- Rodger Brogdon 61

What we have is a reflection of any profession in America. You have a mix of people of all ages. If you average the age of employees in your place of work, I'll bet the numbers are pretty close to the NHRA averages.

Looking at Pro Stock, 25% of the field is under 30, 56% of the field is under 40, and 81% of the field is under 50. I doubt 81% of anyone's workplace is under 50 years old, with the possible exception of a stripper!

Additionally, Mike laments the age of several major owners and focuses on DSR's reduction of teams this year. I think the split is a good thing. As we have seen, drivers have been able to create their own teams and have been able to secure or bring sponsorship with them and the on track product through 2 races has been some of the best I have seen. I believe eventually some of those teams will grow into 2 or 3 car teams and they will replace the current "old guys" as the top owners in the NHRA. Sure, John Force is getting old but he will most likely be involved long after he stops driving. If not, I think his team is in good hands for the next generation.

In closing, yes the NHRA needs to do a better job of recruiting younger drivers and fans. But to say they have failed at doing so or that the sport is in a dire situation is a farce. Mike is suffering from "rich guy I can do better syndrome." If that is the case, put your money where your mouth is. I think we are all in agreement that another sanctioning body would be a good thing. It just so happens that there is one sitting there ready to go. All it needs is an injection of cash and someone with the skills to implement it. This is your chance, Mike, buy the IHRA and get it going!
That's all fine and dandy to have a bunch of young people out there, but consider this. How many of the young drivers in the sport right now have a familiar last name? Almost all of them. There's nothing wrong with that, but only having young people connected to the sport by blood isn't really growing anything, they're just replacing their parents. What you need to focus on is bringing in kids who have no family ties to drag racing; they nor their parents have ever been exposed to it. You need to go to them, align yourself with what they like, and sell the sport to them (and the video game could be a big part of all that). That's the only way you actually grow and expand.

the sport is healthy because a lot of sportsman drivers have no desire to ascend to the pro ranks.
they are already successful. they choose to compete in slower classes where there is great competition, plentiful events, plentiful prize money, and great camaraderie......
and they don't go broke doing it. mike chose to enter TF knowing the business model. i think you could say that stock car and open wheel racing in our country develop
younger drivers as there are bigger series for them to compete in that attract more money. to each their own. IMO drag racing at the professional level always faces challenges,
but IMO it is not in trouble. being on top of social media is definitely important, and has been for quite a few years now.

Mike Salinas is a hard man and patriot. He made his fortune by literally finding value in stuff most of believe has no value. He made his money and sent his wife and kids to college while wearing work boots and a hard hat.

He reminds all of us keyboard crewchiefs and expense account NHRA inner circle people that the key to success is hard work, empathy for others and willingness to take on nearly impossible tasks. He reminds us that if you can't get off the starting line, seek a solution and fix the problem. He reminds us that if the car won't go down the track, seek a solution and fix the problem. He embarrasses us because he is a walking talking example of the American Dream. Like Garlits and Kalitta, he worked harder than most of us and made the American Dream work for him. He took lemons and made lemonade.

NASCAR is eating NHRA's lunch. Their product is younger and more innovative. They are vastly more nimble and can turn their organization on a dime. They have the courage to toss out their old technology cars and move boldly forward with a more sponsorable, relatable car. They are showing increasing empathy for their fans and really generate value for their sponsors. Nimble, outward looking management.

What can NHRA do? How about taking one of their lesser valued races and have a 32 car top fuel vs. funny car shootout. How about a Chicago style national event? How about a no prep national event? How about a culture that generates wonder and surprise at races.(jet cars and wheelstanders don't do it) How about stopping your announcers from telling us something is cool, when it sadly isn't? How about car shows and a free midway spot for SEMA members? How about Peter, Glen and other "executives" standing at the gate welcoming fans, then sitting in the grand stands and asking "customers" how their experience was? Anyone sporting an NHRA shirt MUST positively interact with paying customers and fans at the races. How about stopping the "we tried that once and it didn't work" mentality and starting a "let's go" mentality?

Last edited:
I think the perfect place to put on a no prep race during a national event would be Las Vegas and Charlotte. You have 2 lanes for the prep cars and 2 lanes for the no prep cars. Between the Nhra fans and the no prep fans that would be one packed racing facility. The biggest problem would be where to park everyone. But Nhra would have to make it lucrative enough to draw the no prep teams in. If you get the no prep teams to attend, then I think their young fan base will follow.

I agree with the message Mike is trying to convey. While he speaks about at the national event level, the growth must come at the grassroots and local level. NHRA should take the bottom up approach instead of the top down approach.

Drag racing at it's core has always been a participation sport. Example; who can remember the half hour highlight show every weekend on channels like TNN? If I remember, they would always feature a smaller local track. Gestures like that would give the local racers a sense of pride to get recognitions.

This is the part of his article that immediately threw me off, because NHRA really tried to make this happen 20 years ago when the Import craze took off. They made classes for these cars and welcomed them to National Events. It didn't work. There just weren't many good parts available, the cars broke almost every pass, plus Front Wheel Drive is such an inefficient way of putting power down.

“They're doing it in a different way. It's good. You got to respect them. They're still doing the same thing. When I was a kid, I had hopped-up cars. Well, theirs is a Honda instead of a Chevy. It’s still a car.

“But these powers that be (in the NHRA) don't see it that way."

I think the perfect place to put on a no prep race during a national event would be Las Vegas and Charlotte. You have 2 lanes for the prep cars and 2 lanes for the no prep cars. Between the Nhra fans and the no prep fans that would be one packed racing facility. The biggest problem would be where to park everyone. But Nhra would have to make it lucrative enough to draw the no prep teams in. If you get the no prep teams to attend, then I think their young fan base will follow.
They ran the No Prep Classes in Baytown a few years ago during the Spring Nationals. It was a success, but definitely didn't bring in any more droves of fans.

A few weeks back I was watching a No Prep Kings episode. One of the racers said people go to NHRA events to see the racing, and they go the NPK events to see the drivers.
I just don’t know what NHRA can take away from that statement, but it appears to be true.

did
A few weeks back I was watching a No Prep Kings episode. One of the racers said people go to NHRA events to see the racing, and they go the NPK events to see the drivers.
I just don’t know what NHRA can take away from that statement, but it appears to be true.
have to disagree. the npk driver who said that is wrong. the nhra promotes it's professional drivers and has for quite some time.
both drag racing forms attract fans who are knowledgeable of the respective drivers

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back