Vandergriff’s Gripe With Espn2 (1 Viewer)

Good for him he has a great point. Hopefully UPS is understanding and renews when it's time for them to belly up to the table. Sponsors must have a hard enough time trying to justify 1:00am time slots it must be even tougher when you can't even get face time then.

This has been a problem with ESPN for a long time. They don't get it. Yeah it is nice to see the "big Dogs" but they constantly show the same stuff over and over again when that time could be better spent interviewing and doing articles on some of the lessor known teams and sponsors. They deserve the same amount of attention.

I honestly thought it was just me that ESPN tends to concentrate on the negative aspect of their stories. Now that you have lost your sponsor, how do you feel? DUH..... Instead of you have qualified for the countdown after winning your last three rounds to make it???

BTW: Why hasn't Peggy [PSB] been interviewed??? She seems to be a really nice lady and first real year on the bike in PSB and in the countdown. What a positive angle.....

Hey John K, if you are reading this maybe you can answer this.....

jim

Wow - nice interview Bob!
He seems like a really nice guy, and I don't think anyone that watches weekly could miss his point of view.

DLB

I love this comment. Way to go Bob for speaking up

“The problem is – “I was told that I would only tick off the producer,” Vandergriff said. “I responded, ‘What, is he going to show me less now? The only chance I have to be shown less now is if I am on a single and they decide not to show the round. As long as there is a car in the other round, I am going to get the same coverage. How can you get any worse than that?”

Way to go Bob!

If NHRA has to buy the air time then who gets to choose the talent and content of the show? I would think that NHRA would have to have some input to the content of the shows and the decisions of what to air. Or am I completely off the mark here?

How is this ESPN's fault? This is NHRA's program, they control content. NHRA"s been pretending it's Nascar for how many years now?:confused:

Hmmm... As a point I think it would be really neat to see him win a race and then turn down an interview, but I don't know what UPS would say to declining their shining moment...

I agree with Bob on the Force issue 100%... I think shes a great idol for the sport, but too much TV is shown on her for what kind of results shes getting... She didn't make the countdown nor has she won a race, yet I think shes shown more than anyone (maybe even John)... And like he said, I've seen her boyfriend more this year than Enders...

Now I want to look out for Bob's interviews... This would be a great time for him to nab that wally...

CJ Curtsinger

to answer your question about peggy, i've interviewed her a couple of times for our shows, but not this past weekend. as far as bob's comments i can't really speak to those because i'm not in the truck making the decisions of who to interview. the only thing i can say is that we're trying to get in as much as we can, but the time is limited and believe me each show reif and i have lots of info that doesn't make it on the air. which is the norm. when i was doing nascar only about 15% of my pre race prep notes ever made air. it's about the same for an nhra event. as a pit reporter you always go into an event with more info than you'll ever have time to get on.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. They pick who they want to talk to. In this part of the country (New Mexico) we had Johnny Gray for a while as our states Funny car guy. They rarely interviewed him. He would win rounds and did very well for a while, but no interviews. It was very obvious that they did not want to talk to him, because Johnny will tell you what is on his mind. I agree totally with Vandergriff.

Complaint seems legit.

It will be interesting to see if the squeaky wheel gets greased or......

----------
I get ticked ANY TIME an alledged reporter asks, "How do you feel"? It is the laziest most amateur (non-professional) cliche ever invented.

Does anybody remember Maria Schriver asking John McCain that question during the 2004 primaries. He 'coulda punched her but6 did more damage by revealing herto somply be a non-professional celeb-journalist.

Bravo Bob!!! It's about time a driver/team lets ESPN know about their poor coverage. How hard is it to interview these guys/gals...especially the ones who made the countdown??
I don't know about you but I am soooo sick and tired of the question.."How do you feel?" over and over again.

Yo, ESPN....can you do something about this?? Teams certainly don't need another major sponsor go by the wayside because they can't get any coverage.

to answer your question about peggy, i've interviewed her a couple of times for our shows, but not this past weekend. as far as bob's comments i can't really speak to those because i'm not in the truck making the decisions of who to interview. the only thing i can say is that we're trying to get in as much as we can, but the time is limited and believe me each show reif and i have lots of info that doesn't make it on the air. which is the norm. when i was doing nascar only about 15% of my pre race prep notes ever made air. it's about the same for an nhra event. as a pit reporter you always go into an event with more info than you'll ever have time to get on.

I know you're right John. I would do SO MUCH STUFF(back in my day for IHRA/SPEED)...that most of it never made it in the shows. Tech pieces....in-between round stuff...etc. It's the show producers that decide what makes it...and what doesn't. They have a "story" and a vision that THEY want to see. Sometimes good...and sometimes....well not so good from a racers standpoint. Before even going into a race they have a lot laid out that they want to cover...and it goes from there.

Just my experience...and I'm sure it's not so different over there.

PS....you and Dave do a great job......:)

As I have posted before- this sport needs to be about more than one person or family, ESPN WAKE UP! There is alot more to the NHRA than John Force and Company. Way to speak up Bob.

Gotta chime in and agree with everything Bob said in the article. He's a prime example of who they should be interviewing IMO. How many other drivers have been racing at the pro level for years without an event win, has a HUGE primary sponsor, and is in contention for the championship?

John K. - I don't think the problem is with the quality of the segments being done by you and Reifer. ;)

The problem lies somewhere between the tapes that are being laid in the hands of the producer, and the tapes that are being aired on national TV.

DLB

The top draws are always going to get more coverage than the others. May be sad but it's life. Dale Jr, Tiger Woods, John Force and the likes will get more viewers watching the shows which in turn gets more commercial money. Pay per view could solve that but then we would complain about having to pay.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back