US Nats No Stock or S/S (1 Viewer)

They just keep pushing the "Little" Guy out. I know these are extraordinary times but sometimes you just have to do extraordinary things especially at the Nationals.. That being said I have no dog in the fight so maybe the Stock and SS peps are good with it.

Shorter event and the running of the Jegs all stars is most likely the reason why.

While I see the Wally accumulation appeal, and seeing where you stand in your class, aside from the Hemi Challenge is racing against 3 to 6 other cars really that appealing for a national event? They are still racing the overall class, just not class by class eliminations within Super Stock and Stock. Those folks all had a chance to win TWO Wally's during the race ... now they have the chance to win one. Is that really pushing them out given the scenario they are dealing with?

Last edited:
While I see the Wally accumulation appeal, and seeing where you stand in your class, aside from the Hemi Challenge is racing against 3 to 6 other cars really that appealing for a national event? The still racing the overall class, just not class by class eliminations within Super Stock and Stock. Those folks all had a chance to win TWO Wally's during the race ... now they have the chance to win one. Is that really pushing them out given the scenario they are dealing with?
Agreed. There are so many classes now that I don’t think any one class has a ton of participants at a given national event. I remember being at the ‘71 Indy Nationals, and my dad running for class in A/A, there had to be 12-16 of them. If I remember correctly, you had to win class to get into eliminations, I may be wrong since I was pretty young lol. Like you mentioned Jeff, the Hemi Shootout is a different animal, and I hope it’s contested this year.

Agreed. There are so many classes now that I don’t think any one class has a ton of participants at a given national event. I remember being at the ‘71 Indy Nationals, and my dad running for class in A/A, there had to be 12-16 of them. If I remember correctly, you had to win class to get into eliminations, I may be wrong since I was pretty young lol. Like you mentioned Jeff, the Hemi Shootout is a different animal, and I hope it’s contested this year.
Well maybe I miss-read (miss- understood) but as I see it most everyone wants to compete at the US nationals and not everyone has the quickest car (and doesn't have a chance of being #1) that's where eliminations give you a shot...as I said I don't have a dog in the fight...

Cliff ... the title of your thread is inaccurate and misleading. I think both you and Bill misunderstand. There will be no individual CLASS Eliminations for Stock/SS this year at Indy. However both categories will qualify and compete as part of normal race Eliminations.

Just felt it was important to clarify.

Cliff ... the title of your thread is inaccurate and misleading. I think both you and Bill misunderstand. There will be no individual CLASS Eliminations for Stock/SS this year at Indy. However both categories will qualify and compete as part of normal race Eliminations.

Just felt it was important to clarify.[/Q Nothing missleading about it at all. Class eliminations are very important to Stock and Super Stock. When I started racing in the early 60's, that's all we raced for. You built a car for a class and won a trophy. I won over 125 in my first three years of racing. Back then there were a lot of tracks and sometimes we could race three times a week! There were eliminator brackets then too, they took a bunch of cars that ran within 3 tenths or so and you ran for $. I won a few of those but class was the most important for me. Proved I built a better car plus I could shift a four speed as good as the best. Not bragging, too old for that crap! LOL

When I first started going to the drags in 1961, winning class elims was a big deal, at the local level or a bigger race. I think Stock & S/S are about the only ones doing that these days. I remember going to San Fernando Drags & the announcer calling the classes to the lanes. A/Gas lane 1, etc. Also remember a 1961 Chevy 409 running 110 and thinking it sounded like a gasser.

You all mis read
Class will not be run but the quickest car in a ckass will get a wally ( bunch of crap imo) and they all try and qualify for 128 spots.
winning class no longer is auto entry. But given how far under they usually need to go all class winners usually qualify.

You all mis read
Class will not be run but the quickest car in a ckass will get a wally ( bunch of crap imo) and they all try and qualify for 128 spots.
winning class no longer is auto entry. But given how far under they usually need to go all class winners usually qualify.
I could be mistaken, but I don't think class winners have received auto-entry into the main ladder for years.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back