UK vs US prices (1 Viewer)

Hutch

Nitro Member
These are all supermarket prices, l've converted them from £ to $ at the current exchange rate of $1.96 to the £.

24 Cans of Coca-Cola - $14.21 (same price for Diet Coca-Cola & Caffeine Free Coca-Cola)

Single Can of Coca-Cola - $1.15 to $1.62

2 pints of Fresh Milk - $1.29

1lb of Cheddar Cheese - $5.99

2 Bounty Kitchen Towels - $2.99

4 Rolls Luxury Soft ToiIet Tissue - $3.29

1lb Chicken Lasagne Ready Meal - $3.92

1lb Chicken Tagliatelle Ready Meal - $3.92

What are your prices like compared to these?

2 ltr cola (coke or Pepsi) 1.88

Don't buy Name Paper Towels, Get 4pks for 1.55

Gallon of cow is 3.54

@$$ wipe 4.50 a 12pk

Nuke-em meals about 2.50 to 3.50 each....
But, prefer Ramen, home made Fried Rice, ect... and also do my own TEX_MEX cooking... but...

when all is said and done... 75.00 to 100.00 a week to feed 3 and guest

how much are those items in the UK before all of the taxes that are tacked onto everything you buy over there?

Mike, it's impossible to work that out as those are the prices + tax that l pay at the checkout.

lt's not like the US where items are priced and the tax is added at the checkout, your tax varies from state to state.

generally state sales tax adds anywhere from 5% to 9% onto the cost of the item, Any ball park idea of the percentage that is added onto your items?

These are all supermarket prices, l've converted them from £ to $ at the current exchange rate of $1.96 to the £.

24 Cans of Coca-Cola - $14.21 (same price for Diet Coca-Cola & Caffeine Free Coca-Cola)

Single Can of Coca-Cola - $1.15 to $1.62

2 pints of Fresh Milk - $1.29

1lb of Cheddar Cheese - $5.99

2 Bounty Kitchen Towels - $2.99

4 Rolls Luxury Soft ToiIet Tissue - $3.29

1lb Chicken Lasagne Ready Meal - $3.92

1lb Chicken Tagliatelle Ready Meal - $3.92

What are your prices like compared to these?

I'll take a stab at the ones I know.

Sam's Choice Cola. ( Walmart brand. Tastes almost like Coke, but a whole lot cheaper!) I think she pays around 5 bucks for 24 cans, so about .20 a can. If I buy a can of Coke in a convenience store, it's usually around .80-.90

A pint of milk in a convenience store will run .75-1.30. I think I remember seeing it in Walmart for .50.

I buy the cheapo paper towels at .50 a roll.

She handles the rest of it. I wouldn't call our toiilet paper "luxury", but it's better than the John Wayne stuff in public restrooms. Tough, rugged, and don't take sh*t off nobody! :D

Just got back from a Golden Corral (buffet restaurant chain). Huge salad bar, fruit, soup, every meat you could imagine including BBQ ribs, steak, salmon, veggies, etc. $23 for both of us. A friend of mine from Mass was with me at one in South Carolina recently and he asked me "How do they do this?" I guess it's cheaper real estate, etc.

Now, the funny thing is he and Shirley (my girlfriend from Jersey) will tell you that on average, groceries in a Walmart are actually higher down here than they would be in smaller stores in the northeast. Go figger.

Now, the funny thing is he and Shirley (my girlfriend from Jersey) will tell you that on average, groceries in a Walmart are actually higher down here than they would be in smaller stores in the northeast. Go figger.

What about your girlfriend from Tennessee? What does she pay? :D

I think I pay about 13 bucks for 24 rolls of Charmin quilted bath tissue, and 15 for 12 rolls of Bounty at Costco.

how much are those items in the UK before all of the taxes that are tacked onto everything you buy over there?

I think they call it value added tax, or VAT. Over there the sales tax is already in whatever you're buying, so you can't tell how much is tax and how much is product.

Trying to figure your actual living costs from state to state is just as complicated over here, John. My state has had higher sales tax than most for many years (almost 10%, though many are catching up now), but our property taxes are obscenely low. Seems like it hits the tourists harder and takes it easy on the locals.

Shirley's uncle from Jersey (where their property taxes are obscenely high!) bought a place in South Carolina a couple or so years ago. When the real estate lady was showing it to him, he asked about the property taxes. She told him around $200 a year. Amazed, he yellls back at her "$200 A YEAR!!!" She says "Sir. If you think that's too high, you can go to the courthouse and appeal it and they'll probably lower it for you!" :D

For paper items we shop at Sam's club (no pun intended), it's a lot cheaper than the supermarket.

I heard that it's common for Europeans to shop for electronics and photo stuff from USA vendors because it's much cheaper here.

For paper items we shop at Sam's club (no pun intended), it's a lot cheaper than the supermarket.

I heard that it's common for Europeans to shop for electronics and photo stuff from USA vendors because it's much cheaper here.

USA electronics and photo stuff might be cheaper, but the US warranty would be useless in the UK. Also US camcorders record in NTSC, UK camcorders record in PAL, totally different TV systems.

I believe your household current is 250 volts, isn't it? Standard outlets over here will be 110, with a special 220 one installed where your dryer is located.

I read or heard somewhere years ago that the reason we drive on the right and our oval races are run counter-clockwise (as opposed to the Brit's "anti-clockwise", LOL), was to oppose the British.

Learning about our cultural differences with an online friend in South London is one of the most interesting things I've ever done on the internet, likewise for her. I guess we still have a "wild west" stereotype in the minds of many over there. I mailed over a "care package" once that had, besides a National Dragster, etc, a box of Famous Amos cookies. What I heard on the phone later was "The biscuits were....." and I can't even remember what word she used for "good" was now.....

LOL, and when I sent her the Wikipedia link for biscuits and gravy to show her what a biscuit is to us, all I heard was "EEEWWWWW!!!!!"

Last edited:
LOL, she's IN Tennessee. When are they going to come up with dual climate control houses? :D

I don't know but sign me up for it!

A pound of extra lean ground beef is 3.15 down here at the local butcher. I think it's 2.95 at nearest Walmart. Cheese is 5.29 for a 1 1/2 pound wedge.

Sara Lee Honey wheat bread is 2.39. You get a free loaf of white bread for every 6 dollars you buy at the local bread store.

Where the local butchers, bakeries, produce stores may be a little more money, I like the "Hey Jenn, how are you? The usual order?"

Or the perk of being able to have the produce employees pick my fruit and veggies for me.

Our household current is 240 volts.

Our domestic phase to neutral supply voltage is 220-250 volts depending on how far away from the substation you are. Current available depends on the maximum full load current drawn by each individual appliance, with 13 Amperes being the standard working maximum recommended to be drawn from a single outlet on a full ring main system incorporating a P.M.E. system.

VAT is payable at 17.5% on so called luxury foods. This impacted most spectacularly on British society back in the late 1970's, with the great 'Is a Jaffa Cake really a biscuit?' debate. The manufacturers McVities (who, up to that point were predominently involved in the manufacture of biscuits, an essential and therefore untaxed comestible) claimed that their new product, a chocolate coated light victoria sponge disk incorporating a 'Smashing Jaffa Orangy bit' (in reality a small round blob of faintly citrus tainted goo with the consistancy of the contents of a smokers handkerchief) was really a biscuit, and should therfore fall outside of the United Kingdoms already punitive taxation system. However, Her Majesties Government were on the case, and in a Landmark ruling after a court case lasting eight months and costing the British taxpayer several million pounds stirling, the then master of the rolls Lord Denning ruled that as McVities had made the fundamental error of incorporationg the word 'cake' into the items name, their claim that Jaffa Cakes were, in fact, biscuits, was entirely spurious, and the food item was reclassified as a luxury item. There was, of course, massive public uproar at this decision, especially when it was announced that the increase of tax was to be backdated to 1972. The Customs and Excise people sent out immediate demands for retrospective payment, and anyone unable to produce receipts and tax returns detailing expenditure on Jaffa Cakes for the preceeding six years was thrown into jail. This decision led directly to the so-called 'winter of discontent', which bought about the fall of the Labour administration of Harold Wilson and Jim Callaghan. This left a power vacuum in British political life, into which stepped the elder child of a Grantham shopkeeper, whose fortune had been based on the meticulous photocopying of Biscuit and Cake orders for the local customers. That child was one Margeret Thatcher.

It is entirely possible, of course, that the entire story above could be complete nonsense, dreamed up by a sad and lonely former student. But thats what 'they' want you to think, isn't it? eh? eh? Its a conspiracy, I tells you, a conspiracy!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back