Tuttle Motorsports and Mike Ashley Enjoys Successful Top Fuel Debut (1 Viewer)

Pomona CA - The end of the 2011 season turns out to be just the beginning for the Tuttle Motorsports' Liquid MPG Top Fuel Dragster. First, former US Nationals Funny Car Champion Mike Ashley made his Top Fuel debut this past weekend at the Automobile Club of Southern California NHRA Finals in Pomona, California. And second, the recent addition of new sponsor Liquid MPG gives the team the stability it needs to compete on the NHRA Full Throttle tour in 2012.

Ashley’s Top Fuel debut was a success as he was able to qualify for the tough Auto Club Finals field after earning his Top Fuel licence just two weeks ago.

A large field of over 26 cars took a crack at the 16 car field so being able to race on Sunday was an accomplishment for even the most seasoned veterans of the class. “It was a great debut when you consider we qualified and there were 26 teams fighting to get in the show” said Ashley.

Ashley who qualified 16th with a 3.95, faced number one qualifier and eventual Champion, Del Worsham in round one. Ashley gave Worsham a tough fight all the way down Pomona’s historic quarter mile. Worsham got the advantage off the starting line but Ashley was right there with him as both cars were side-by-side until Worsham was able to pull away near the top end of the track and beat Ashley by just a car length. Worsham stopped the clock with a 3.86 at 316 MPH to Ashley’s close 3.90 at 314 MPH. Even though the Liquid MPG team lost, there was nobody on the team hanging their heads. “We gave Del a close competitive race” Ashley said.

Now, with one race under his belt as a Top Fuel driver, Ashley is optimistic about the future of the Dexter Tuttle owned Liquid MPG Top Fuel team. “I have won Indy, made the fastest run in funny car (at the time) and have won World Championships in Pro Mod. I don’t go to a race if I have no chance of winning. This team can win. Knowing Dexter’s history as a car owner and the team he has assembled it’s just a matter of time before we start winning races. The crew is made up of a good group of guys and they all work really hard”.

Attachments

• ashley nhra auto club finals.jpg
    ashley nhra auto club finals.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 26
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back