Top Fuel to the dyno?? (1 Viewer)

I hope Cleetus makes a few videos from this weekend's shootout since it literally next door to his shop. He has got a massive following, I know my roommate is a huge fan of his and has bought some of his swag in the past. I would love to see him jump into a pro mod someday or even better year, a fuel Funny Car. Cleetus seems like a Funny Car kind of guy.

....... He has got a massive following ........
and exactly why this happened with clay's team/car. the folks in PRO are saying over and over again (see courtney's interviews), lets hold a race on our own, and try
some different stuff. i don't even think they know exactly what 'different stuff' mite be, until ideas turn into reality. clay gets it. he sees, and uses the power of social media.
spent the time and money for this little diversion. cleetus (3.4M subscribers) ...... jeff lutz (60k subscribers) ...... clay (65k subscribers)
that is a staggering, combined 3.5million+ youtube viewers ....... the startup at cleetus' shop, plus the cleetus recognition on clay's TF'r......the bradenton week is a success already.

they should have atleast wacked the throttle once. First time I ever saw one started inside a building.

I saw that but it wasn't on the dino anymore
i think the whole idea here was to do this very carefully and make sure nothing happened......i.e. car straps break, dyno seizes up, etc. ....... IMO this was carefully planned
by clay and cleetus as a safe, unique, youtube moment ahead of race later this week. if anything bad had happened, it would reflect poorly on everyone involved.

I've been a subsriber (and frequent watcher) of Cleetus' for some time now (also KSR - Keven Smith's channel). Kevin gets deeper into the technical aspects but neither are nerd-deep into the technical stuff. They really engage viewers by "taking them along on-the-ride". They get folkls excited about going 9's, then 8's, then 7's and 6's. Sure, a lot of sillinees (on Cleetus') but lots of fun! Good for PRO ...Good for NHRA

i think the whole idea here was to do this very carefully and make sure nothing happened......i.e. car straps break, dyno seizes up, etc. ....... IMO this was carefully planned
by clay and cleetus as a safe, unique, youtube moment ahead of race later this week. if anything bad had happened, it would reflect poorly on everyone involved.
I sure Jim O kept them in line. It was good publicity anyway. A full fuel full throttle wack would not have gone well. Clay mentioned doing it with a throttle stop but I guess he was over ruled.

There is NO way there was EVER going to be a Pull (Or even Partial Pull) on that Dyno. First - There is not a Water Brake (Or Electric) single or double drum Dynamometer that can handle much over 1000 lbs. ft. of torque even if the tires would hold (they won't) - and you have to load it somewhat gradually. A Hub Dyno would stop the slippage but how do you load it without having a complete disaster for the Dyno as well as the Engine. LTR has 2 dynos - a 1000 H.P. Superflow & 2000 H.P. Stuska. We tried one of my Nostalga Alcohol Motors on the Superflow - It boiled the water and blew out the seals. We had to rebuild the absorption unit ($$$) which means if you try to run a Motor that makes more power than the Dyno can take you are probably in trouble. On the Stuska you just change the Orifices (Jets) to the Power Unit and it took 1759 H.P. (1225 lbs. ft.@ 7500) no problem, but 1200 lbs. ft. of torque on a 2000 H.P. Dyno is not the same as 7000 lbs. ft. of torque on anything. There is a company who makes a strain guage that can be put on the drive line of a Fuel Car that will give you torque and calculating H.P. is the same as it is on a Dyno. (Torque X RPM / 5252)

Last edited:
I hope Cleetus makes a few videos from this weekend's shootout since it literally next door to his shop. He has got a massive following, I know my roommate is a huge fan of his and has bought some of his swag in the past. I would love to see him jump into a pro mod someday or even better year, a fuel Funny Car. Cleetus seems like a Funny Car kind of guy.
Clay runs 3.68 @330 vs Cleetus in Ruby (near the end of video), Cleetus video should be something with a TF car going by in the other lane

There is NO way there was EVER going to be a Pull (Or even Partial Pull) on that Dyno. First - There is not a Water Brake (Or Electric) single or double drum Dynamometer that can handle much over 1000 lbs. ft. of torque even if the tires would hold (they won't) - and you have to load it somewhat gradually. A Hub Dyno would stop the slippage but how do you load it without having a complete disaster for the Dyno as well as the Engine. LTR has 2 dynos - a 1000 H.P. Superflow & 2000 H.P. Stuska. We tried one of my Nostalga Alcohol Motors on the Superflow - It boiled the water and blew out the seals. We had to rebuild the absorption unit ($$$) which means if you try to run a Motor that makes more power than the Dyno can take you are probably in trouble. On the Stuska you just change the Orifices (Jets) to the Power Unit and it took 1759 H.P. (1225 lbs. ft.@ 7500) no problem, but 1200 lbs. of torque on a 2000 H.P. Dyno is not the same as 7000 lbs. ft. of torque on anything. There is a company who makes a strain guage that can be put on the drive line of a Fuel Car that will give you torque and calculating H.P. is the same as it is on a Dyno. (Torque X RPM / 5252)
Thanks for posting this Roger.

Long time lurker here. Some of you may know my work at my previous company. We actually designed and built an active telemetry top fuel wheel with the help of Kalitta and MTS back in 2005. This post made me dig out my old files. Yep, still have all the data from those runs. The torque numbers even almost 20 years ago was astounding. Thought you guys would like to see this stuff. Wasn't ever shown publicly.
P1000387.JPG

Attachments

• P1000283.jpg
    P1000283.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • P1000408.JPG
    P1000408.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • P1000203.jpg
    P1000203.jpg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 54
Long time lurker here. Some of you may know my work at my previous company. We actually designed and built an active telemetry top fuel wheel with the help of Kalitta and MTS back in 2005. This post made me dig out my old files. Yep, still have all the data from those runs. The torque numbers even almost 20 years ago was astounding. Thought you guys would like to see this stuff. Wasn't ever shown publicly. View attachment 14193
I remember it being metioned in the past. I don't recall the exact numbers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back