Top drivers honored at Fourth Annual PMRA Champions Banquet (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Boland, Brown, Boniferro, and Roth take home PMRA Pro Modified tributes

NIAGARA FALLS, ONTARIO (November 15, 2008) - Highlighting the Fourth Annual Pro Modified Racing Association Champions Banquet, hosted by the Master of Ceremonies Chris Biro in Niagara Falls, Ontario, were the acceptance speeches from the top four drivers of the 2008 PMRA Tour.

Receiving top honors was Bruce Boland of Hamilton, Ontario. Driving his B&B Racing 1963 Corvette. Boland won the 2008 PMRA Point Award Series Championship sponsored by Wix Filtration Products, Valvoline, Uni-Select, and Moen Incorporated. The championship is Boland's second consecutive title.

"I'm not big on speeches," said Boland after receiving his awards, "but I want to thank Mitch at Pro Racing Fuels, Mark (Dochstader) from Backwoods Excavating, along with Carl (Spiering) and his team at ERD (Engine Research & Development) for the great engine and help."

Boland, who also received the RPM Magazine Editor's Choice Award for 2008, said he enjoys the friendliness in the group of PMRA racers and how all teams work together.

"I love racing with you guys," he continued. "I have raced with a lot of you over the years, and really appreciate all the help you have given me."

Boland was barely leading the points race going into the last event over Terry Brown of Caledonia, Ontario. The driver of the 1971 Dodge Challenger placed second in points.

"I want to thank my Dad, Jason Greenland, Melanie, and the rest of the crew," said the 2008 Sanair event winner. "I also want to thank Bruce Boland for all his help."

The PMRA's first two-time winner and 2006 co-champion, Joe Boniferro of Niagara Falls, Ontario, placed third with the Smokin' Joe's 1999 Dodge Avenger entry, and said he had planned not to race this year.

"I was going to sit out this year and regroup," said Boniferro. "But my crew talked me into it, and I want to thank all of them. They got everything ready between rounds and got me down the racetrack. Thanks to them for a pretty good year."

And placing fourth in points was PMRA series rookie Jeff Roth of Kitchener, Ontario, in the J&J Roth Racing 1957 Chevy.

"My thanks go out to all the racers," Roth mentioned. "It was a tough year for us in the first season, but a great year. I appreciate all the work that has gone into this series, and we'll be back next year."

PMRA teams received copies of the 2008 PMRA Year in Review book Collector's Edition, a project of Heads Up Racer, RPM Senior Editor, and PMRA photographer Ian Rae. Rae, along with support from the PMRA and Ajax Engines, produced the hard-cover book featuring the 2008 racing season.

Series Director of Operations Bruce Mehlenbacher thanked all the teams and track representatives. He also thanked the sponsors of the series, emphasizing their importance in the series.

Mehlenbacher also mentioned to the group at the Best Western Cairn Croft Hotel in Niagara Falls, Ontario a partial schedule for 2009. He said the Victoria Day season opener date at Cayuga Dragway in May is confirmed, along with the traditional Labor Day weekend at the Grand Bend Motorplex. A new date is the July 11-12 event at St. Thomas Dragway, and he added that negotiations are ongoing with several US race tracks based in Michigan, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania as well as Quebec with the plan of presenting a seven event PMRA Drag Racing Series for 2009.

Attachments

• 047-pmra_edited-1.jpg
    047-pmra_edited-1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,115
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back