Tony Stewart, tell us how you really feel about GoodYear's (2 Viewers)

Nitro Member
Wow, did anybody else catch his post-race interview? He unloaded on GoodYear with both barrels. He said it was the worst tire he's ever raced on and if this is how they're going to make tires they should just pull out like they have in several other series and quit making junk. :eek: I just wish he would have told us how he really felt instead of holding back. :p

Gotta love ole` Smoke, he tells it like it is...kinda like Bazemore did. Hope Goodyear was listening.

I was totally blown away when he went off. I was like, Holy Crap!!! But he does speak his mind.

I openly dislike Tony Stewart's ongoing "rant of the day" when they stick a microphone in his face. This one about Goodyear was loud and clear. Other drivers agreed, while they were far less critical in their tone but it appears there was a real problem out there today. Given the global agreement about the sub standard tire, I suspect he won't be fined into poverty but I'll just say his anger management classes never worked. I suspect there are times when Arthur Blank must occassionally question his choice.

I understand how so many really appreciate his direct approach but I'll respectfully disagree. As a father, I would have been embarrassed for the entire Stewart family -- yet again.

I like Smoke, I'll pull for him to win, but apparently when he says that is the worst tire that they have ever raced on, he has forgotten a couple of years ago at Charlotte/Lowes Speedway, when they almost stopped the race because they were afraid for the drivers safety. Yeah, so the cars didn't handle very well, but they didn't have any blown tires sending cars slamming into the walls.

Murdock.

I love how Smoke tells exactly what is on his mind and doesn't sugar coat anything. The best part of his comments was when he said that he would pull all of the Goodyear tires off of his personal cars and replace them with Firestone tires. :D Goodyear has to do something, the race today had to be one of the most boring races I have watched in recent years.

I like Smoke, I'll pull for him to win, but apparently when he says that is the worst tire that they have ever raced on, he has forgotten a couple of years ago at Charlotte/Lowes Speedway, when they almost stopped the race because they were afraid for the drivers safety. Yeah, so the cars didn't handle very well, but they didn't have any blown tires sending cars slamming into the walls.

Murdock.

SMOKE AND JR BOTH HAD HARSH WORDS ABOUT TIRES YET FINISH 2ND AND 3RD:D

I openly dislike Tony Stewart's ongoing "rant of the day" when they stick a microphone in his face. This one about Goodyear was loud and clear. Other drivers agreed, while they were far less critical in their tone but it appears there was a real problem out there today. Given the global agreement about the sub standard tire, I suspect he won't be fined into poverty but I'll just say his anger management classes never worked. I suspect there are times when Arthur Blank must occassionally question his choice.

I understand how so many really appreciate his direct approach but I'll respectfully disagree. As a father, I would have been embarrassed for the entire Stewart family -- yet again.
I'm sure he was still shaking after 3 hrs Doc! I believe most would have given the same sentiments..Smoke just has a way of coming across..like maybe the truth..as he wore it.

You could see it during the race..the as$ end washing out..especially turn 2.

Now...it isn't all the tire..they will figure the setup out..and the tire will be less in the equation. But for now..it's tough trying to turn and you're in Knoxville..hehe. (without wings..LOL)

Smoke - engage brain before putting mouth in gear! He did give reporters something to talk about because the race was a disaster.
Huge number of cars wrecked at LVMS because of blown tires. Goodyear comes back with a "brick" for Atlanta - scary to drive, but it won't blow!
NASCAR has created a nightmare for Goodyear - cars are down on the right front bump stop so there is no suspension travel. In addition to providing traction, the right front tire now IS the suspension.

Good luck to Smoke on getting Hoosier or Firestone back into this mess!

Smoke - engage brain before putting mouth in gear!
iagree.gif

I suspect there are times when Arthur Blank must occassionally question his choice.

No matter what Smoke does Doc, he will NEVER be as bad a choice for Arthur Blank as giving Mike Vick 100 million dollars or hiring Bobby Petrino. I am sure Blank's head rests easy at night in regards to Tony Stewart after everything Blank went thru the last year.

In regards to Smoke's comments, I think he is just stirring it up and is hoping to spur either NASCAR or Goodyear to some sort of action. The REAL problem has already been stated in this thread and it is the right front suspension setup. What can Goodyear do about it if the teams setup sidewall deflection and low tire pressures in place of suspension travel? IMO, NASCAR needs to issue the teams right front springs, shocks, camber plates ... whatever is necessary to get the right front up off the bump stop so they don't chew up the right front tire. NASCAR is already issuing teams rear shocks and springs at some tracks, so this is not entirely out of their realm of possibilities.

I'd normally say to TSTEW, "Be quiet, everybody's on the same tire." But then again, you still have to buy the tire to put it on the car. So who knows?

BTW, during my TV boycott of NASCAR, it's weird not seeing the pictures on the tube, only hearing on the radio or reading the internet.

about 10 years ago at the indy500, tony was leading and sure to win. But his engine blew. he was storming thru the garage area and the commentators tracked him down, asking him questions while he was walking.
he said he was tired of the s__t engines he was being given. Live tv, indy500.

see to me, tony's a guy who's well aware he's putting his life on the line every time he's straps in , and to get out of the car and be expected to sound like a guy doing an informercial, well, it's just ridiculous. I wish he'd come back to Indycars. He's a jerk sometimes but he's real.

Registered member said:
Ding ding, ding !! Another Mater who knows his $$$t ! It would be really good to see an NHRA fuel team owner have the balls that Smoke has and call out Goodyear to build a safe tire that will last more than one (or maybe two) runs.

Here's another idea.

The 18 car driven by Kyle Busch in 2008 has been a "NOT SO GOOD" car since the departure of Bobby Labonte. Now the 18 is HOT. Maybe Tony's feeling a little more heat with the realization that the 20 car may not be the best in the stable right now. (THE JOE GIBBS stable)

Yet another idea.

Hey TSTEW, you make over $3 million a year to drive a racecar. Shut up, strap in and drive. Those folks paying $125.00 for seats, and filling up on $3.30 gas to travel and watch you race ain't got it so good.

Sorry for the rant.

And finally:
Jim Rome just did a piece/rant on TSTEW with comments from Joe Gibbs. What B-roll did they use for the Gibbs comments? Gibbs in McDonalds colors at an NHRA event. Talk about going in the archive for B-roll.

Last edited:
Hey TSTEW, you make over $3 million a year to drive a racecar. Shut up, strap in and drive. Those folks paying $125.00 for seats, and filling up on $3.30 gas to travel and watch you race ain't got it so good./QUOTE]

Amen, brother! I'm a big fan of Stewart and guys with similar demeanors, but when it comes to this kind of whining, I don't have any tolerance for it. I know first-hand how tough it is to make it to the top level, because I still haven't managed to git-er-done. So when I hear these guys pissing and moaning it makes me want to puke. Yeah, I know they're "competitors". So am I, so Whaaah!

But on the flip side, regardless of the whining, something needs done. There needs to be competition in all areas, including tires, because the by-product of that competition will be the best quality product possible.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back