Thoughts on INDY (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
After attending Indy for the second year in a row since 1991, I was sort of disappointed. Having attended and photographing Indy many years in the 70's and early 80's, not going back until a couple of years in the early 90's and really enjoying the experience, this year was disappointing to me. Not the racing and drama, there was plenty of it, but the lack of big time carnival atmosphere like last year. I know it was the 60th Indy last year and with the old cars, cacklefests, old time heroes and displays and activities, this year lacked all of that.

For the true fan the racing WAS spectacular this year. Upsets and great close racing were the rule.

But not having attended any reunions in the past I was blown away last year by all that happened. This year a few old race cars, my favorite of course was Snakes FC that swept indy, but no old hot rod heroes or displays. That was what disappointed me the most. This is supposed to be the grandaddy of them all but to me it was no better than any number of national events I have attended the last few years.

Hat's off to all the manufacturers and sponsors that did displays, they were great. Big time thumbs up to Chevrolet for their efforts and all out sponsorship of the event. They are on the ball - received emails from them this morning after registering at their display. Also to Forrest Lucas and Lucas Oil - what we do without you?

Th fan count had to be extremely disappointing to the bean counters, spectator side maybe 1/3 to 1/2 filled.

I thought the old car display on the west side was great. Celebs? there was Shirley, Ace, and Dick LaHaie can't ask for any better. Also a great fireworks
display. Other than cooler temps, I wouldn't change it. (JMO)

The crowd on Saturday was much bigger than last time I attended (2013). That Saturday night qualifying session was pretty fun.

Last Indy for me was in '78; prior to that, it was an annual occasion since '72. I didn't know what to expect, but what I got was pretty cool. BUT terribly similar to other national events (Vegas, Pomona, E-Town).

I was impressed with the car count, and I think I most enjoyed the sportsman competition; it seems that they work the hardest for their accolades (I stayed to the end on Sunday- kudos to NHRA for smoothly getting that many cars down the track in an organized manner).

I did like the Pro teams that were trying hard to make the playoffs; Alexis and Dave really rose to the occasion. Courtney went out fighting and so did Angelle. It made for some good math drama.

The best part of the week was the staff; gate attendants, security folks and concessions people all kept it cool in the heat, and were genuinely nice. It made for an enjoyable event. I have to admit, I didn't mind the low attendance at all- wait times were short, I had great access to everything in the pits, it wasn't asses and elbows in the stands and I was a 20 minute leisurely commute from key on to key off between the hotel and track, with never a traffic jam.

Kudos to the Safety Safari for being as speedy as they could be, even when it seemed they were out after almost every pass on some days.

It wasn't like the old days, although I did have some moments of fond memories (walking along the west fence in what is now the sportsman pits and remembering the lineup of funny cars, duallies and Chaparrals that were pitted in the grass made me smile). It was a good week, and I plan to do it soon before it is different again

I had to cancel at the last minute, and I'm really bummed about missing it. Last year definitely had a lot of stuff going on for the 60th. But having been to many, many Indys since I was a kid in 1971, I can say I've never been disappointed. And, I can't wait until next year. Meantime, I plan to get a little fix in a few weeks at one of my favorite tracks, Maple Grove.

AS I said, the racing was spectacular! Yes the drama for the countdown was very good, suggestion - how about putting point totals on the big screen during eliminations?

I saw a few pic's of Lahaie and Ace being in the pit's, heard Shirley was interviewed on ESPN for TV. But to my knowledge no gatherings and group interviews like last year - Garlits, Snake and Goose, Glidden and others.

Yes I forgot the Safety Safari and security and ushers - good job!

Maybe I was just looking to experience more this year after what I saw last year.

Thanks!

After attending Indy for the second year in a row since 1991, I was sort of disappointed. Having attended and photographing Indy many years in the 70's and early 80's, not going back until a couple of years in the early 90's and really enjoying the experience, this year was disappointing to me. Not the racing and drama, there was plenty of it, but the lack of big time carnival atmosphere like last year. I know it was the 60th Indy last year and with the old cars, cacklefests, old time heroes and displays and activities, this year lacked all of that.

For the true fan the racing WAS spectacular this year. Upsets and great close racing were the rule.

But not having attended any reunions in the past I was blown away last year by all that happened. This year a few old race cars, my favorite of course was Snakes FC that swept indy, but no old hot rod heroes or displays. That was what disappointed me the most. This is supposed to be the grandaddy of them all but to me it was no better than any number of national events I have attended the last few years.

Hat's off to all the manufacturers and sponsors that did displays, they were great. Big time thumbs up to Chevrolet for their efforts and all out sponsorship of the event. They are on the ball - received emails from them this morning after registering at their display. Also to Forrest Lucas and Lucas Oil - what we do without you?

Th fan count had to be extremely disappointing to the bean counters, spectator side maybe 1/3 to 1/2 filled.

My only complaint was the Heat, I bet that hurts attendance plenty.

It was 106 degrees when I left Vegas to go to Indy ... and it was MUCH MORE miserable in Indy. How hot was it? The track ran out of Bud Light on the West Side!!!!

It was still a good time, a good event and I am glad I went.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back