Thompson Celebrates Major Victory in Seattle (1 Viewer)

Thompson Celebrates Major Victory in Seattle

Clint Thompson driver of the Cascade Auto Group/Dutch Bros. Monte Carlo confidently returned to Pacific Raceway, the track that has already yielded him two big wins in the last couple of seasons. This time Thompson was loaded for bear after an early round exit at Woodburn Dragstrip’s NHRA Divisional just two weeks before. “ I’m very confident that we are going to do real well” Thompson commented prior to the start of the 20th annual Schuck’s Auto Supply NHRA Nationals:
..With record on-and-off rain fall, qualifying was reduced in all categories to just one hit and Thomspon made the most out of it by qualifying fifth with a decent 5.71 at 251MPH. In the first round Thompson was paired up with number 12 qualifier Tim Nemeth of Chilliwack BC. At the green, both cars left together but Thompson was able to pull away with an impressive win with a 5.68 at 254 MPH to Nemeth’s 5.80 at 244 MPH.

In round two, Thompson took on Ken Kraus who beat upcoming driver Alexis DeJoria in the first round. Kraus, continued to be dangerous by getting out on Thompson first with an 0.057 reaction time to Thompson’s.096. But Thompson relied on good ol’ horsepower to make up for Kraus’ lead
and nailed him at the finish line with a 5.64 at 254 MPH to Kraus’ 5.72 at 249 MPH.

The rounds just kept getting tougher and this time after another rain delay it was a date with Oregon rival Brian Hough. “This was the key race as Brian has been running real well and he’s a good leaver. I knew I had
better be on my game” Thompson said. At the light Hough, got off to another good
start with a 0.100 reaction time as Thompson had to again play catch up with
a 0.118 reaction time. But luck began to unravel for Hough as he was forced to pedal. Meanwhile Thompson was able to rely on his consistency to beat Hough to the stripe with another clean pass. Thompson was once again able to run quicker than his previous run with a 5.62 at 253 MPH to Hough’s 5.88 to earn a trip to the final round.

In the Final, Thompson faced number two qualifier, Dennis Taylor in the “Way Cool” Plumbing Concepts Camaro. At the hit, Taylor managed to get the lead with his Ora Vasquez tuned entry to about half track but once again Thompson was able to turn on the horsepower and get around Taylor with a 5.65 at 253 MPH to collect his second Schuck’s Auto Supply NHRA Nationals title.
Taylor slowed down to a 5.72 at 251 MPH but was a valiant effort.

“This is a big win for us and a great win for Dutch Bros. Taylor’s a tough competitor especially with Ora tuning their car. But our car ran consistently well all day and that’s how we were get the win. There were no
freebees as we had to earn every round . The crew did a fantastic job today,
we got pushed on time between rounds because of the rain. Danette, Tyler,
Kelly and Vic really made it happen” Thompson said.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back