This is unreal... (1 Viewer)

Reminds me of the camera operators that see a body come off a funny car and stay with the body, as the car, you know, the important part, with the engine, and driver, and wheels and stuff goes bye off camera. Guess showing a body fly a kite is more spectacular? Or in this case, a riderless bike stays in frame as the guy riding on the wheelie bar of a fuel bike goes bye off camera.

If they put the fire out right away it looks like the bike may have had only minor damage. I bet that they set a 1/4 mile record for two people on a bike, though.

Reminds me of the camera operators that see a body come off a funny car and stay with the body, as the car, you know, the important part, with the engine, and driver, and wheels and stuff goes bye off camera. Guess showing a body fly a kite is more spectacular? Or in this case, a riderless bike stays in frame as the guy riding on the wheelie bar of a fuel bike goes bye off camera.
I think you are a bit unfair. Here's a post I made on the subject in another forum, the point being that it was totally unexpected, happened in the blink of an eye and even long time "professional drag racing spectators" had no clue as to what really happened until after the fact.
---------------------
I was part of calling the race and that round. Very "uncomfortable" to say the least to see two friends in a crash like that. Strange thing is seeing it again in "real time" so to speak. When you see it live it just goes on forever and if you'd have asked me right after the crash, I'd have bet that Fils bike rolled more than it did.

When it happened, it was real hard to catch and keep track of the details and to make sense of it all. What really disturbed me was that I did not see Fil separate from the vehicle and I thought he was somehow stuck to his own bike. No way in hell could anyone even imagine he was riding Steves wheelie bars into the shut down.

Easy to smile at it after the fact but it was horrendous at the time. Looking at the clips it took little time to get the word that both riders were standing up but that's not at all the time span I remembered. We obviously can't see the back end of the track like the cameras do and to me "standing up" means little until they're OK'd by the medics.

On a lighter note, Fil was back in the pits, smiling, in a relatively short time. Foot/ankle/leg got burned by Woollats slick but that was pretty much it and it was a real treat to talk to Fil and see him OK.

Steve stopped the clocks at 8.48/94 and came back for the next two rounds, won them both and the whole event. He said he felt the hit, went straight and got the bike to a stop, no idea about Fil being on the back. The bike did not feel all normal and when he checked back, there was Fil sitting on the bars, holding on to the bodywork.

Steve said he'd charge Fil for the ride, we figgered that'd be real cheap considering the short distance but Steve said it'd be a charge per horsepower.

If they put the fire out right away it looks like the bike may have had only minor damage. I bet that they set a 1/4 mile record for two people on a bike, though.
You're right, even with the fire the bike came out relatively OK. Speed was 95 mph through the traps, but 127 mph at the 660' mark with Fil in the back seat.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back