This is a bummer (3 Viewers)

Without starting another thread-I was there from about noon today. Parking area wet and somewhat sloppy. Walked the pits for a few hours, man it was hot and humid. Had my somewhat new, at least at the races, digital SLR.
Was looking forward to todays action as much as anyone. When racing was halted at about 4pm I was thinking short delay and felt racing should resume shortly. After about an hour I started to think how we in Northern Ohio and more so in northeast Ohio have gotten alot of rain the last week. Bells started going off. Not only the shutdown area, but, about the 660 track workers were constantly trying to wipe up weepers for hours on end. During the whole time the drying efforts were going Bob Frey keep everyone informed. The first few hours more optimisticly then the last few. Never once did I feel strung along. My thought as the evening wore on was the race turning into a one lane race track as all the efforts of drying the actual quarted mile was on the left lane. Once it appeared that the shutdown area had been taken care of, a group of crewmen and racers gathered at 1000 ft area as Manny the clutch and track wizzard was on his hands and knees pounding the track surface. He obviously found more water under the tire rubber and efforts were started to dry that area. Meanwhile Rick Stewart was pushing a blower back and forth on the starting area and at this point about 7:45-8pm I seriously doubted that they would be doing any racing tonite. Saturdays weather is more of the same as today with possible rain in the forecast. Sunday a cool front is in the forecast. Let's hope for a dry and safe racetrack
Did I feel cheated, no, disappointed -yes. Did NHRA and the Baders do their best to get the Friday Qaulifying inn-yes.

Excellent review of the days events. I drove 2 1/2 hours to see absolutely zero runs. Sat in the parking lot after the cancellation waiting for an hour and a half in traffic. 2 1/2 hour drive later I pull into my driveway at 2:00 am. I think they did a good job in keeping everyone informed. THEY MADE THE RIGHT CALL. I was very impressed when they anounced that they will be providing a complete refund for your Friday ticket (Or credit towards tickets for next year).

some of you guys don't get it. if you're not absolutely sure how long a delay will be, then don't predict. all he needed to say is that we have a big problem and we are on indefinite delay. thats all i wanted to hear. instead, it was "we still intend to get 2 sessions in" and "being told another 15-20 minutes." after the initial 50 minutes (contrary to the 8-10 minute prediction) we decided to go down to the work site and watch tom compton and graham light sweat it out. at that point, any human with an inkling of common sense knew that friday's action was toast. thus, we left with hopes that they'd do the right thing, which they did.

looking forward to seeing some nitro action today!

I really hope they can get both rounds in today, the last thing I want to see is the top 10 rule implemented like it was in Seattle last year, although for Top Fuel it wouldn't matter because I believe they only have 16 cars, and the bikes got a round in yesterday so they would have two sessions. However that rule could have a big impact on Funny Car and Pro Stock.

Re: Water at Norwalk

Full credit for a Saturday ticket or Sunday or next year screw that I would demand my money back!
A firework show for being made to wait 5 hours,I'm sure they did all they could, but from a customer point of view it don't mean chit!

Bob, I was at Topeka back in the 90's when they had to cancel friday for this very reason. They offered fans credit towards Saturday's ticket, or they would give you 50% Cash back for your Friday ticket. Most of us took the cash and bailed!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
some of you guys don't get it. if you're not absolutely sure how long a delay will be, then don't predict. all he needed to say is that we have a big problem and we are on indefinite delay. thats all i wanted to hear. instead, it was "we still intend to get 2 sessions in" and "being told another 15-20 minutes." after the initial 50 minutes (contrary to the 8-10 minute prediction) !

Yep my son started taking Friday off work to taking his 5yr. old son last year to Norwalk just like I did with him at 5 yrs. to Columbus. But try telling a little guy that 5 mins. = 60 mins. when your waiting to see the cars run. After 6 hours of just 10 more mins. people they left for home. I'm sure they were not the only ones dejected.

Looks to me like Pro Stock final qualifying didn't include the "12" fastest prior to the final day... so can we throw the stupid new qualifying rules out the window and go back to the old and fair way. There is nothing more assinine than reading the qualifying results on a Saturday and seeing "no prior run" for a racer who made two good runs on Friday.

just to followup on this thread, thankfully the weepers went away and they got a good show in.

anyone know what to do with friday's tickets to get credit for next year?

i wonder why nhra was pissing around so much with that big black cloud approaching at the end? they got VERY lucky as the cloud passed by, but dumped a ton of rain just east of the track. sometimes the review of last years countdown should be canned in favor of, say, getting the show in.

anyone know what to do with friday's tickets to get credit for next year?

Call the track at (419) 668-5555 ??

i wonder why nhra was pissing around so much with that big black cloud approaching at the end? they got VERY lucky as the cloud passed by, but dumped a ton of rain just east of the track. sometimes the review of last years countdown should be canned in favor of, say, getting the show in.

They had to give the teams a certain amount of turnaround time. As it was, TonyP indicated on TV that they had cut it down as it was...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back