This is a bummer (1 Viewer)

Re: Water at Norwalk

Kelly, please be sensitive for the right reason. Earlier posts in this thread said this same thing happened 2 weeks ago. Given the weather, where was Frank Manzo (God love him currently the only person in Ohio who knows how to operate heavy machinery) 3 days ago???? While last weekends events, broke my heart, and I would never want that to happen again, it's fairly obvious that NHRA and the Bader family would have much preferred to get 1 round in and keep the money. Now they are on the broadcast, patting themselves on the back for taking care of the customer, Oh Really? Since when? It took 6 hours of 90 degree humid heat on the fans for that decision to be made. The decision was absolutely correct. I suspect you would have made it much earler:confused::confused:

Spent the first 30+ years of my life in Northern Ohio, and our family is still there. The water table is often just a couple of feet below ground. The whole northwestern corner of the state was called The Great Black Swamp until it was drained in the early 1900s. With all the rain they've had in the last month, and all the rain predicted, "weeping" is probably the best we can expect. :(

Given the weather, where was Frank Manzo (God love him currently the only person in Ohio who knows how to operate heavy machinery) 3 days ago????

Manzo is a sportsman racer who has a full-time job to support himself and his family. So Wednesday, he was probably in New Jersey working.

Jim

Maybe my heart's tugging at me. I was at Baytown/Houston...the first race after Eric died. Granted, they still ran the race last weekend after Scott's tragic death.... All I know is I waited through a 3 hour POURING/STORMING rain delay on Sunday in Baytown in 2007. If they'd decided not to run, it would have been fine with me. I was in an emotional fog and cared less about losing money or a day's pay had they run on Monday.

Jim that was not the point at all. Of all the things to challenge me on in that post you picked Manzo has a FULL TIME JOB??

Well then I guess I'm wrong but that still don't change the fact that I would want my money back!

Are you telling me NHRA doesn't make any money from ticket sales Bob or that they don't make all the money?
Neither.

The front gate is a split everywhere except NHRA owned tracks with a caveat. The sanctioning body charges the tracks for the privilege of hosting the event. The track sets ticket prices according to perceived profit above what is needed to cover the sanction fee.

Last edited:
glad they canned it. it would be a crime if they didn't offer refunds. pro bike and a few pro stock pairs is hardly worth forty bucks. the fireworks aren't a necessity. so let's not act like they are making a huge nice gesture to customers. anything else would be flat fraud.

some may think people are whining, but taking vacation days from work and spending hard earned money on tickets tends to make me want to get what i deserve with my entertainment dollars.

Jim that was not the point at all. Of all the things to challenge me on in that post you picked Manzo has a FULL TIME JOB??

Ralph,

You said this:

"Given the weather, where was Frank Manzo (God love him currently the only person in Ohio who knows how to operate heavy machinery) 3 days ago????"

I read that to say that you were criticizing Frank for not being there on Wednesday, when that is not his responsibility. If that's not what you meant, then I misunderstood your remark.

Jim

Without starting another thread-I was there from about noon today. Parking area wet and somewhat sloppy. Walked the pits for a few hours, man it was hot and humid. Had my somewhat new, at least at the races, digital SLR.
Was looking forward to todays action as much as anyone. When racing was halted at about 4pm I was thinking short delay and felt racing should resume shortly. After about an hour I started to think how we in Northern Ohio and more so in northeast Ohio have gotten alot of rain the last week. Bells started going off. Not only the shutdown area, but, about the 660 track workers were constantly trying to wipe up weepers for hours on end. During the whole time the drying efforts were going Bob Frey keep everyone informed. The first few hours more optimisticly then the last few. Never once did I feel strung along. My thought as the evening wore on was the race turning into a one lane race track as all the efforts of drying the actual quarted mile was on the left lane. Once it appeared that the shutdown area had been taken care of, a group of crewmen and racers gathered at 1000 ft area as Manny the clutch and track wizzard was on his hands and knees pounding the track surface. He obviously found more water under the tire rubber and efforts were started to dry that area. Meanwhile Rick Stewart was pushing a blower back and forth on the starting area and at this point about 7:45-8pm I seriously doubted that they would be doing any racing tonite. Saturdays weather is more of the same as today with possible rain in the forecast. Sunday a cool front is in the forecast. Let's hope for a dry and safe racetrack
Did I feel cheated, no, disappointed -yes. Did NHRA and the Baders do their best to get the Friday Qaulifying inn-yes.

glad they canned it. it would be a crime if they didn't offer refunds. pro bike and a few pro stock pairs is hardly worth forty bucks. the fireworks aren't a necessity. so let's not act like they are making a huge nice gesture to customers. anything else would be flat fraud.

NHRA has a specific guideline on how ticket exchange (note, the policy is called 'exchange'...not 'refund') for a National Event effected by rain is handled.

NHRA.com: Ticket Exchange Policy

QUALIFYING (typically run on Friday and Saturday):
If Pro nitro qualifying is rained out, customer will be entitled to 100 percent credit*.

Following the completion of one round of Pro nitro qualifying, no compensation.

*IN THE EVENT OF A RAINOUT
Customer must retain ticket stub to enter on rescheduled date.

If a customer cannot attend the rescheduled event, the ticket holder must retain the ticket(s) for use toward ticket purchase for next year's event. Customer is responsible for any difference due to price increases, account fees, etc.

All sales are final. No refunds. NHRA is not responsible for lost or stolen tickets. Credentials will not be honored.

Last edited:
Boy, if I lived close and heard that the man with probably some of the quickest reflexes in the sport was going to put on a 3 hr. exhibition, I'd have run out there and bought a ticket just to watch !!:D

So how does this screw up the stupid new qualifying rules if there weren't 12 Pro Stock cars or any fuel cars? Do all the PS cars from today get in?

Do all the PS cars from today get in?

If NHRA lives up to their own, new 2008 guidelines the answer is YES.

the top 12 elapsed times in each pro category will be provisionally recorded prior to the last day of qualifying.

...the four quickest cars from outside the provisional 12 on the final day of qualifying will complete the 16-car lineup.

NHRA News: Professional qualifying format to change in 2008 POWERade Series (1/16/2008)

Lee Zane and Steve Spiess can look forward in decades to come to being the answer to the following drag racing trivia questions.

Which two racers qualified for the Pro Stock field at a 2008 NHRA National Event with scorching elapsed times of 8.594 and 13.600?

Last edited:

and for those who will undoubtedly stick up for the announcer, if you're not absolutely certain about a time frame, don't announce it. the predictions were wrong at least 4 times. better to give no information than wrong information.
I do live track drag racing commentary and will certainly stick up for the announcer.

Announcers do not walk the track and we do not make decisions about the time needed to have the track back to race conditions.

Sure, off-mike we can discuss a call that seems way out of line but when you hit the mike button you'd better announce what you're told by the track officials or look for another weekend job.

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

Without starting another thread-I was there from about noon today. Parking area wet and somewhat sloppy. Walked the pits for a few hours, man it was hot and humid. Had my somewhat new, at least at the races, digital SLR.
Was looking forward to todays action as much as anyone. When racing was halted at about 4pm I was thinking short delay and felt racing should resume shortly. After about an hour I started to think how we in Northern Ohio and more so in northeast Ohio have gotten alot of rain the last week. Bells started going off. Not only the shutdown area, but, about the 660 track workers were constantly trying to wipe up weepers for hours on end. During the whole time the drying efforts were going Bob Frey keep everyone informed. The first few hours more optimisticly then the last few. Never once did I feel strung along. My thought as the evening wore on was the race turning into a one lane race track as all the efforts of drying the actual quarted mile was on the left lane. Once it appeared that the shutdown area had been taken care of, a group of crewmen and racers gathered at 1000 ft area as Manny the clutch and track wizzard was on his hands and knees pounding the track surface. He obviously found more water under the tire rubber and efforts were started to dry that area. Meanwhile Rick Stewart was pushing a blower back and forth on the starting area and at this point about 7:45-8pm I seriously doubted that they would be doing any racing tonite. Saturdays weather is more of the same as today with possible rain in the forecast. Sunday a cool front is in the forecast. Let's hope for a dry and safe racetrack
Did I feel cheated, no, disappointed -yes. Did NHRA and the Baders do their best to get the Friday Qaulifying inn-yes.

Good summary of the situation.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back