The Professor Speaks (1 Viewer)

Joe, I believe Mrs. Johnson asked you a question...

I'm guessing Joe was not too far off on his number of $2 million. I read an article not too long ago on Car and Driver that was written back in 2001 (the last year he won a championship), which stated that WJ spent $1.5 million each year on their race program (page 3 toward the top if you are looking). Given that WJ has been adamant about not spending any of his own money, I'm guessing the majority of that $1.5 million came from GM.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-last-pros-in-pro-stock

Even if he got 2M/year, he has gone on record as saying that he has been able to make a good living over the years. That means it DIDN'T cost that much to run the car, so there's no way of telling the actual costs. A number that NOBODY on this board knows for sure.

Now, it takes 2-3M/year to keep up with the frontrunners, so in order to cover expenses and make a good living in the process, you'll need more than that. And who in their right corporate minds will spend that much money on a class that gets that little of exposure.

Sean D

W.J. Has a great point though... Pro Stock Cars have turned into NASCAR like cars.... They all look the same..... It's hard to be brand specific when they all look so similar. Going back to a body that actually looks like something you can buy would be great for the "Big Three" .. I think fans are more driver loyal than brand loyal, in this day in age....

W.J. Has a great point though... Pro Stock Cars have turned into NASCAR like cars.... They all look the same..... It's hard to be brand specific when they all look so similar. Going back to a body that actually looks like something you can buy would be great for the "Big Three" .. I think fans are more driver loyal than brand loyal, in this day in age....
I stated in another thread to bring back the stock in Pro Stock. they need a new old rule, stock roof, quarter panels and rear panel. No limit on model year as long as car meets new tech standards.

Personally, I've always been a WJ and Kurt fan. Few out there enjoyed the level of success that he did, and did all their own work like he did. These days, you buy chassis and rent engines. He, on the other hand, did it all himself.

And this is another great point that I think gets overlooked. People get so wrapped up in the costs associated with all the new technology, materials, etc., but just think about the costs associated with that! And that doesn't even take into account all the extra people that are now used at the track, as opposed to just 3 or 4 like they used to.....

Sean D

Even if he got 2M/year, he has gone on record as saying that he has been able to make a good living over the years. That means it DIDN'T cost that much to run the car, so there's no way of telling the actual costs. A number that NOBODY on this board knows for sure.

Now, it takes 2-3M/year to keep up with the frontrunners, so in order to cover expenses and make a good living in the process, you'll need more than that. And who in their right corporate minds will spend that much money on a class that gets that little of exposure.

Sean D

Sean,

I can't speak for the other teams out there but I can tell you that Elite didn't come close to spending 2-3M last year. I wish I had that money to spend! We wouldn't of skipped two races.

Nick

Sean,

I can't speak for the other teams out there but I can tell you that Elite didn't come close to spending 2-3M last year. I wish I had that money to spend! We wouldn't of skipped two races.

Nick

Well, between you and Arlene, I guess that takes care of that! Lol! You guys are the mother of all frontrunners right now, so if you can do it on less...........

What do you suppose is the deal then? I'm sure costs have increased since the days of Warren's domination, but it sounds like they haven't increased to the point of what is consistently reported. Depending on the amounts being shopped for to potential sponsors by the current crop of Pro Stock teams, I can see the cost/exposure ratio being a little out of balance when compared to a fuel team. Just a hunch though.

Sean D

Yes they have. Want to know how to verify that? Compare this season's entry lists against those from 5, 10, 15 years ago. Pretty much like most categories. And I'm fairly certain the difference isn't because less people want to race. I'm almost positive I read an interview with Richard Freeman where he said he didn't feel PS was broken, he felt that it could be done on 1.5-1.9 mil/yr. Is that a bargain? I think it's awesome if he can do that, but obviously there aren't a ton of people who can or want to spend that. And, if that's what he spends while skipping a few races, I'm sure there ARE teams spending north of 2.5mil. Those are big numbers for a class that doesn't have an easy time getting sponsors (not that any class does).

Just curious as to what is the average cost to attend a national meet today.
Tolls, motels, airfares, meals, basically everything not including the cost of race parts and engine cost.

I think you could do it on 1.5 million (probably less) *IF* you already own the hauler, chassis, motors and have the team members in place. Like any business, the upfront costs are prohibitive and it always less expensive to run a mature/existing business than it is to build from the ground up.

I think you could do it on 1.5 million (probably less) *IF* you already own the hauler, chassis, motors and have the team members in place. Like any business, the upfront costs are prohibitive and it always less expensive to run a mature/existing business than it is to build from the ground up.

That's the key phrase right there! If you already own it all... I agree 100% start up cost today are much higher than they were before and the initial cost is quite high. Now once you overcome that. The costs, if you try and race on a budget aren't $2-3M. I'm not saying you couldn't spend $2M pretty easily and many do and much more. We just don't have that in OUR budget. So we have to really have to pick and choose what we are going to do and try.

Nick

Nick,

What's your average amount of runs on a competitive motor providing no catastrophic failure before rebuild.

Thanks

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back