The NHRA Web site. (1 Viewer)

Greg

Nitro Member
Hi to all. I was wondering if anyone has had trouble getting on to the NHRA web site. I'm in Australia and have not been able to get on it since the Tuesday after the Winternationals. I have had a number of people say that they cannot get on it either. I tried a number of things all to no avail. I don't have any trouble getting on with my mobile through the 4G network but nothing with the 2 PC's and a laptop. I use Google chrome but tired Internet Explore 11 and Firefox and all the same, also other people on Mac's have the same trouble. this is all that its say when trying to get on to the web site, can anyone help please. Greg
Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.nhra.com

Sounds like a DNS (domain name service) problem with your internet service provider. It happens from time to time.

Me again. Can someone who knows someone who is involved in the NHRA.com web site tell them that the web site CANNOT be accessed in AUSTRALIA. I have been told by a number of people (over 20) here in The Great Land Down Under that they cannot access it. All we get is the web site is could not be found (As in my first post) on any platform including Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Firefox or any of the Mac safari and such. Someone must know someone.

It is highly unlikely that it is NHRA's problem. If you open a command prompt, can you ping NHRA.com? does it resolve an IP and timeout or does it say "destination host unreachable"? While I have a hard time believing it is a DNS issue in these more advanced Internet times where domains propagate in hours rather than days, it is possible to test if you are familiar with the TCP/IP settings in your computer (or wireless router). Manually set your DNS Server settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, these are Google's DNS Servers and are accessible from anywhere on the Net (except China). This way you will not be relying on your local ISP for domain resolution, you will be using Google. If NHRA.com pops up after these changes the issue lies with your local ISP.

This also assumes you are not trying to reach NHRA.com from work where your company hasn't filtered the site to prevent you from having fun at work.

If you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the troubleshooting outlined above, the first step should absolutely be to contact your local ISP, because NHRA's site is obviously up to the rest of the World.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
It is highly unlikely that it is NHRA's problem. If you open a command prompt, can you ping NHRA.com? does it resolve an IP and timeout or does it say "destination host unreachable"? While I have a hard time believing it is a DNS issue in these more advanced Internet times where domains propagate in hours rather than days, it is possible to test if you are familiar with the TCP/IP settings in your computer (or wireless router). Manually set your DNS Server settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, these are Google's DNS Servers and are accessible from anywhere on the Net (except China). This way you will not be relying on your local ISP for domain resolution, you will be using Google. If NHRA.com pops up after these changes the issue lies with your local ISP.

This also assumes you are not trying to reach NHRA.com from work where your company hasn't filtered the site to prevent you from having fun at work.

If you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the troubleshooting outlined above, the first step should absolutely be to contact your local ISP, because NHRA's site is obviously up to the rest of the World.

Hope this helps!
Hi Chris.
I'am using my Computer at home as I don't have one at work with my Job so I suppose that counts that out, I was talking on the phone today with my ISP provider for over an hour and he did everything that you have said above, including remote connection to my Modem and PC. Nothing has worked. He did mention about the China thing but I told him it was an American Site. many other people who live have also told me that they haven't been able to get on for weeks as Paul Rogers Jnr told me. So it can't be anything to do with my ISP as others are with different ISP providers. It seems strange that I have over two hundred web sites in my bookmarks and the only ONE yes One which happens to be my home page won't respond. I have no idea how to sort the problem out.
This is all I get when I try to get on the site, and that is what others get to.
Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.nhra.com
Also I never mentioned that it was a DNS problem others have, I have no idea what the problem is now. All was good until last Wednesday after the winters whilst trying to look at the points.
Thank you for the your help.
Cheers Greg.

Chris I have just done the ping with command prompt but after doing it three times and doing other sites like you tube and google all I get back about nhra from the ping is and I "Quote" Ping request could not find host www.nhra.com please check the name and try again. So I guess I give in. LOL

Greg, the only other thing I can think of is your ISP's provider. It is quite unusual for an ISP to own their own backbone and peering point with the Internet at large. Usually ISP's lease bandwidth from a provider and resell it to you, so there is usually at least 2 "hops" between you and the Internet at large. Most large providers have filtering on their edge routers for various reasons, and maybe they are incorrectly listing NHRA (or their IP space, or webhost) as a spam domain or something similar and drop the connection at the edge. There is a way you can see where your connection to NHRA.com "dies", it is by doing a trace route. On a Windows machine, open a command prompt and at the prompt type in tracert www.nhra.com. The first thing that should happen is DNS resolution, it should show an IP for NHRA.com. If this happens, your ISP is correctly resolving the domain. The next thing that will happen is that it will list each individual connection between you and NHRA.com, if it doesn't get all the way to NHRA.com, the last listed router on the list is where the issue lies.

Also, when you were on the phone with your ISP, could they reach NHRA.com from their office? Did they seem to think the issue was on your end? It seems odd to me they wouldn't offer any sort of further troubleshooting or resolution.

Last edited:
Chris I have just done the ping with command prompt but after doing it three times and doing other sites like you tube and google all I get back about nhra from the ping is and I "Quote" Ping request could not find host www.nhra.com please check the name and try again. So I guess I give in. LOL

If it could not find the host, it is NOT resolving DNS. It has to be on your ISP's end, or as in my previous post, their provider. Again, I would reconfigure your wireless router or PC to use Google DNS, bypassing your ISP for domain resolution.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Last edited:
Chris I've kinda given up at the moment but will try tomorrow Wednesday here 17hrs ahead of you. I do have a mate who knows a lot more about what you said so I will let him a go at it in case I stuff it up. Thank you Heaps as you have been a bit more of a help than the tech guy I spoke to (Telstra Bigpond is my ISP but all the tech's are off shore.)
Again many thanks Mate
Greg

Chris I've kinda given up at the moment but will try tomorrow Wednesday here 17hrs ahead of you. I do have a mate who knows a lot more about what you said so I will let him a go at it in case I stuff it up. Thank you Heaps as you have been a bit more of a help than the tech guy I spoke to (Telstra Bigpond is my ISP but all the tech's are off shore.)
Again many thanks Mate
Greg

Next time you talk to Telstra, let them know for a round-trip ticket down under I can fix the issue for them in less than 5 minutes LOL. I could do it remotely if they gave me access, but what fun would that be (for me anyway)?

It is shocking to me that this issue has persisted for a week, most DNS servers update dynamically daily. It is a completely automated process no matter what platform they are using (UNIX, Windows, etc.).

NHRA IT has been made aware of your issue. I'm not sure what they can do, as this seems like an ISP DSN issue, but they do know about your problem.

If it could not find the host, it is NOT resolving DNS. It has to be on your ISP's end, or as in my previous post, their provider. Again, I would reconfigure your wireless router or PC to use Google DNS, bypassing your ISP for domain resolution.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
Hi Chris. I want to thank you very much for the above help in trying to help me sort out the DNS issues I have been having. I did do what it the above site told me to do and found out that not only did it fix the NHRA.com site but also a few other problems that had popped up in the mean time but also gave my router a bigger supercharger to work with. I have also passed the Web Site through Facebook to many friends who where having the same trouble as me.Again many thanks.
Greg Deutscher.

Hi Chris. I want to thank you very much for the above help in trying to help me sort out the DNS issues I have been having. I did do what it the above site told me to do and found out that not only did it fix the NHRA.com site but also a few other problems that had popped up in the mean time but also gave my router a bigger supercharger to work with. I have also passed the Web Site through Facebook to many friends who where having the same trouble as me.Again many thanks.
Greg Deutscher.

Greg, you are welcome.

I am glad I could help, and I am shocked that DNS issues persist with your ISP (and they offered you no assistance). In Internet terms, DNS was sorted out not long after the wheel was invented ... It is a very stable, relatively ancient technology.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back