The more things change, the more they stay the same (1 Viewer)

If 240-250 MPH does it for you, that's what Nostalgia Racing is for!

All other things being the same, if I had to choose between the current NHRA setup, and a setup where today's TF and FC were swapped for nostalgia TF and FC, I'd choose the latter. Simply because I'd trade some speed for variety (different looking cars) and a field where the richest team doesn't necessarily have a huge advantage. I betcha the car counts in the fuel classes would go way up too with the costs being less, which would be exponentially better.

I don't get to choose, though because it's not an option. Not that I'm really complaining about today's setup being at the race is still awesome!

The goals seem to be
1) allow "marketable" trap speeds but prevent "m.p.h. inflation" to excessive levels. (e.g. over 300 but not over 330)
2) Prevent costly re-design (e.g. smaller engines)
3) Prevent killing the overall performance of the cars (e.g. slower E.Ts)

E.T.s and R.T.s win races, not 1000 ft trap speeds so these goals would appear to be achievable.

Step. 1 Choose the speed you want the cars to stay under.

This could be argued till the cows come home.

(Like most stuff on here, heh heh)
My view: Talk to technical experts including Goodyear's engineers, then decide a "not to exceed" speed, based on the technical data, not opinions.​

Step 2. Decide how to limit the speed without tearing up the engineering, manufacturing and tune-up of of the engines/cars.

My view: Fit an accurate non-engine-damaging device that shuts the engine down at the "not to exceed" speed. Simple but effective.

The device could be an iteration of the current safety shut-down device. Not a simple task but not impossible​

Come raceday, I am sure the teams would figure out how to *never* shut the engine down before the 1000 ft beam ...​

If 240-250 MPH does it for you, that's what Nostalgia Racing is for!

for me it doesn't have much to do with some magic number on a scoreboard, it has to do with the action on the track...and right now the action is almost non-existent with the track one quarter shorter than it used to be and with sub 4 second races...

if you enjoy the short races and scoreboard numbers that's OK, but it's not for me and I suspect a lot of others feel the same :(

I appreciate the differing opinions being expressed without getting ugly :cool:
I guess my question would be, with the testing that has gone on, what changes have actually been made besides the rev limiter and 1000' tracks?

Thank you in advance .........

I appreciate the differing opinions being expressed without getting ugly :cool:
I guess my question would be, with the testing that has gone on, what changes have actually been made besides the rev limiter and 1000' tracks?

Thank you in advance .........

I know you mean in the very near past with the change to 1000', but it made me think of the number of changes brought about by safety concerns of too much speed

If I remember right, didn't the speed timing lights "straddle" the finishline at one point....which caused a lot of racers to "drive it out the back door" ?
then they changed it to 66' before the finishline....(is it still 66' with the shortened track?)

nitro percentage capped

spec for length of chassis hasn't increased for a long time (they kept making longer and longer cars)

just a few major changes in my mind...though I am sure there are so many others in relation to top speed

All other things being the same, if I had to choose between the current NHRA setup, and a setup where today's TF and FC were swapped for nostalgia TF and FC, I'd choose the latter. Simply because I'd trade some speed for variety (different looking cars) and a field where the richest team doesn't necessarily have a huge advantage. I betcha the car counts in the fuel classes would go way up too with the costs being less, which would be exponentially better.

I don't get to choose, though because it's not an option. Not that I'm really complaining about today's setup being at the race is still awesome!

Well since you and others have made that choice, what's left to discuss? Nobody forces anyone to pay $50-60 to attend an NHRA race, yet some on here and other boards act as if that's the case!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My biggest problem with the latest form of racing isn't the 300+mph (or not) it's the short races. There is no time for it to be a "race". You don't see pedal-fests, you don't see people win from behind, you don't see people making a second-half charge.

It seems like one mistake and you're done: a little late on the tree, lose a cylinder, get a little out of the groove, and it's over. No point in legging it out hoping the other guy has a problem -- he doesn't have time to have a problem...

At least at 1320 you got some of this, even when the speeds were so increasing. I'd love to see some of that come back, and if that means 1320 at 280mph, I'm good with that.

I was at the Boise divisional a week or so ago, and people ate up the nostalgia nitro funnies doing 250 or so. I'm not sure they would have really cared if they were going another 50mph faster.

My opinion is to go to a smaller cubic inch motor and remove a magneto. Go back to the 484" motors or smaller. Hell some of the nostalgia cars run SMALL cubic inches compared to the 500" motors. Maybe take away some blower percentage while you're at it. Don't have to buy a different blower, just spin it slower. Most nitro teams replace parts between seasons anyways...give them 2 seasons to cycle through to the new set up. They buy pistons by the pallet anyways, and go through them quicker than anything. Sleeve down the current short blocks they have and put a smaller piston in, or they can change the entire rotating assembly and use less stroke????

Well since you and others have made that choice, what's left to discuss? Nobody forces anyone to pay $50-60 to attend an NHRA race, yet some on here and other boards act as if that's the case!:rolleyes:

I guess I'd add that they could pretty much do anything they want and I'd still go to BIR every year short of banning nitro and eliminating the zoo.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back