Nitrohaulic

Nitro Member
I purchased a burger at Burger King for $3.58. The counter girl took my
$5. I was digging for change when I pulled eight cents from my pocket
and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and three
pennies, looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort
and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters and a dollar bill,
but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the
transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this? Please continue to read.

The evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

-------------------------------------------------------

1. Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is
4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960

4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970

$80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980

$80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of
$20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
participation after answering the question: How did the birds and
squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong
answers)

6. Teaching Math In 2007

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la
producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

LOL :D

It really irritates me when people running the registers can't figure out out to make correct change.

Yeah, after helping out at the bowling alley snack bar (not any more, thankfully) giving change to those same AIRHEADS is even more fun... but then again, more than one of them has handed me a debit card for a $1.75 soda... now that's scary on sooooo many levels....:eek:

LOL :D

It really irritates me when people running the registers can't figure out out to make correct change.

When I helped manage a little pet store back home, we hired the occassional school kid to help out. The cash register had the function to tell you the correct change but using the function was much slower than ringing the total and counting back (the really old fashioned way.) The owner and I counted back, never a penny off at the end of the day. One of the girls who had been working after school with us for years also counted back and was never off.

Then one summer we got this kid who taught himself how to use that particular function - we had not and honestly could not even show him how and probably tossed out the manual years previously. All of a sudden, things were off at the end of the day, anywhere from a few cents to $5.00. We told him he could no longer give change the way he had been and taught him how to count back and told him that if he didn't he would not be able to help behind the counter. Inside two weeks he left, it seems he had a problem counting either with or without that help.

It totally drives me crazy when people can't figure change. The number of people that can't also seem to match stats I read recently about 60% of the American public balances their checkbook by ATM. :(

I give change just to test how our school systems are performing...
Actually it's to find out the intellegence of potential aunts for my nephew... :rolleyes:

When I hand that nickel and three pennies, and they look at it like I just handed them an egg, and asked them to boil it... :D I cant help but get a kick out of that look on their face!! :eek: I even get 20's back when the change was supposed to be a $5... PANIC MODE!! And hell no I never give back the twenties... Hell, sometimes Sonic forgets that YOU have'nt paid before handing you your order and saying, have a nice day, or come again... beep-beep bye-bye- thank you!!

Of course I don't go back to that Sonic for a few days until the new cashier has started....................

Making change appears to be much more difficult nowadays than when I grew up... It must be the metric system, or breathing that stops all logical thinking... :p

ROTFLMAO- I'm sorry, but that look of them trying to figure out what you just did to them is priceless...

Say the total is $3.49
Give them a $5, a nickel and a penny, then watch real panic... You just may get a twenty as well...

I used to correct or try and help them out...
But look, I already give to Jerry's kids and I say, start yanking tubes outta some of these people before the problem gets any worse... NO MO DUMBO's!!

BTW- Ron, #6 had me on the floor, LMAO!!

Last edited:
Yeah, after helping out at the bowling alley snack bar (not any more, thankfully) giving change to those same AIRHEADS is even more fun... but then again, more than one of them has handed me a debit card for a $1.75 soda... now that's scary on sooooo many levels....:eek:

I hardly ever carry cash beyond a bunch of qaurters for the vending machines at school. Either my credit card or my student ID which acts as a debit card for the stores at school.

At least when the beggars come around I can honestly say "I carry no cash".

Actually it's to find out the intellegence of potential aunts for my nephew...

ROTFLMAO- I'm sorry, but that look of them trying to figure out what you just did to them is priceless...

Say the total is $3.49
Give them a $5, a nickel and a penny, then watch real panic... You just may get a twenty as well...

Funny, that reminds me of a test I used to take potential boyfriends to... meet my horse, will he let you pet him... would you like to go for a ride? That was after dating a couple guys in high school who just didn't get that I had a life... you learn a lot about people when they are around animals... back to the thread...

I have seen that look... had one almost drop her tray... and had someone at a restaurant give me my change back and tell me I was messing her up... talk about tip reduction, it was instant... doh.

I hardly ever carry cash beyond a bunch of qaurters for the vending machines at school. Either my credit card or my student ID which acts as a debit card for the stores at school.

At least when the beggars come around I can honestly say "I carry no cash".

A friend sent the whole thing and I pasted it but, yeah, I'm gone an average of about 5 days a week and run into a LOT of giving them a few cents to get more efficient change back and they're baffled. I'll often give them a bill, they'll enter that total, THEN I'll come up with "Hey, let me just give you so and so" after it's too late for the register to give them the answer! :D

I laugh when I see a car with the "Driver carries no cash" bumper sticker.

I was crossing the Tappanzee Bridge in New York the other week. Gave the attendant a $50 bill for a $27 toll.. They gave me a hard look, turned the arrow to an "X" to close my lane, then took their sweet time about walking around to the front of the truck to write my tag number down.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back