The Day I Won $25 at Lions With The Stutt Bee (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
I did not tell my dad about this for a couple of years, I admit it was wrong as it was somewhat lying by omission. Right around the end of the 60's it went down.

Let me set up this snookering of a loud mouth who would sit ahead of dad and me at Lions. This guy would be there about every 2 weeks for a long time. He was a bow tie guy all the way and loved 55 Chevys to no end. He talked this and that for months.

I had a paper route with the Los Angeles Herald Examiner and made good bank per month for a youngin' like me. So I saved some bucks for some time. I used to take a real nice Stopwatch my dad gave me to see if I could come close to the times on the track, got fairly close. This loud mouth had a particular 55 he really liked. I had been thru the weeks timing Audley Cambell's fast "Stutt Bee" VW. The car could run anywhere from mid to quite low 11's back then while the loud mouths 55 ran mid to upper 11's.

My dad would have been none to happy about what I did and he had to be occupied or in the pits for this to work. All the starts aligned, he was B-sing with race buddys at the concession stand. Just by pure luck on a Saturday afternoon, the Stutt Bee and loud mouths 55 were lining up for a time trial pass. He started yapping away how his 55 would destroy the bug.

I said to the dude that the VW would beat the shoe box to the finish, after he stopped laughing and carrying on he said, wanna bet? Put your money where your mouth is boy. I said ok let's bet, he said how much, He said how about $20.00 bucks thinking he was going to scare me off. I said how about $25, he said, show me the money before we bet, I did and this guy had a bet with some glasses wearing young kid.

Dad was still gone, the 2 cars lined up and Cambell put a major league "gate job" on that 55 and ran some where around 11.20 or 11.30 and beat the 55 by a number of cars. The loudmouth was pissed big time, at first he was not going to pay as he was a very poor sport but after some "flak" by the fans real close to us he paid up the $25 and left the seats muy pronto and I never saw him sit by us again. Just after I got paid Dad came back and knew nothing. I had asked the folks around us not to say nothing,they did not, thankfully. A couple of weeks later I took my dad to Lions on me as he thought it was paper route money that his son earned.

[email protected] went to church twice the next day to atone for my shananigans.

HA! Remember the Stutt Bee, Inch Pincher, Empi and a bunch of other hot VW's. Still love those cars today. A guy at Irwindale, maybe Lloyd Scott or something like that, ran a Fiat with a VW engine. Beautiful red car, & went like stink. Would do wheelies off the line. Oh, I used to deliver papers for the Glendale Independent and also the Herald. Once our boss took us to Port of Los Angeles & we got to go on a Greek freighter. Wow.... rode all the way to the harbor in the back of a pick up. Great fun! Was probably 12 years old, 100 years ago. heh heh

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back