The best idea in a very long time by jim head (1 Viewer)

Shut off traveling Downhill without dumping the laundry? I can see picking up 15mph going downhill in 300 feet with momentum in your favor...

Dang I love converted PARKING LOTS...

d'kid

Pomona has a lot of activities to offer. After your run, if you don't like converted parking lots, you can go to the "beach". After that you can go to the golf course. Lots of fun!:D

Last edited:
For the record, I like 1,000' racing, in fact I enjoy the 1/8th mile events also. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Bobby Lagana run a 3.40 at 210 mph at our local 1/8th mile facility just a few weeks ago.

I am also for putting limitations on the nitro cars so that more people will get interested in running them. Reference the run above, it was exciting even though it was 4 tenths and 65 mph slower than what the national event cars are now running in the 1/8th. But it cost a lot less and was much safer for the team and the track.

My point in my previous post was that people change their minds after experiencing things. Maybe Ace and Jim, and many others would be more receptive to limitations and see their advantages once they tried them with an open mind.

I also realize they have both ran with set ups similar to what is being proposed by NHRA, but not with the quality of parts that are being ran today.

So I'll play the new game "Ignorant at Best".

Let's go back say 15 years. To a time where we'll use funny car for the example that ran 4.90's @ 305 in the 1/4 mile. Were the tracks too short? Once in a while one might hit the litter box but not often

Now let's take all we have learned and added with the last 15 years and that same 1995 tuning combo, times, and speeds. Are the tracks still too short? Much safer tires, cars, equipment, new and improved beaches, circus nets, no more armco, laundry shooters...

Slowing the cars way down will make them cheaper to run. Fact. Called cycling of parts. And besides if this was done well we could get a bunch to step up from Alky and A/F without killing the budgets. Bigger fields perhaps? More teams?

Not slow enough? Then go back a little further. It ain't that hard. Go back 20 then. The record book is a not a worry. Who cares?

Love to have the opportunity to attend a lively discussion but don't confuse intimidation with the facts please. And to solve a problem a brainstorming discussion can work well if allowed to.

Listen to the new casual spectator or new potential new sponsor explaination lately (or God forbid have to do that one anytime soon again) of how a full day at the track goes... 'See these cars sputter for a while then go fast, these go really fast but then not too fast or they get penalized...then these cars can only go to here....well these cars can go all the way to there...'

All due respect to Jim Head and I like the guy. But there is/and are more than one way to the destination and more than one highway. There is also more than one person with an engineering background out there in the pool.

Let's just do a complete breakdown on the issues, FMEA on the cars and issues... put together a group without the us/them issues that still continue to this day like was suggested almost 15 years ago and fix things as we see them.

And yeah I'll say it. Some folks could make less income from less sponsor dollars if budget goes down.

Are we in it for the sport or for the dollars?

Sorry everyone I apologize in advance. Virgil I'll meet you and Newman over in the corner later.

...run a 3.40 at 210 mph at our local 1/8th mile facility...

...putting limitations on the nitro cars so that more people will get interested in running them...

A newbie might not know the difference, and if your goal is to attract a new generation to the track, then perhaps thats a way to do it. After all they have nothing to compare it to, and 1/8 mile runs with limitations on the TF and FC classes would still be unlike any other form of motorsport.

However, to keep the old fan base happy, you have to find a way to equal the expierence of 1/4 mile racing, 8000 HP cars, and 330mph runs.

To keep the existing fan base happy, you have to find a way to equal the expierence of 1000' racing, 8000 HP cars, and 315mph runs.

I don't think 1/8 mile racing, and cars running 210mph is the answer. I can only say Ive seen 1/8 mile nitro racing on tv and I would have to say that I was totally unimpressed.This is because I've been exposed to what 1/4 mile 8000 hp racing is all about and well, 1/8 mile racing is just about half as interesting . Throw in a restricted nitro engine and that just adds insult to injury. I think you would lose so many fans up front, that it would be impossible to weather it out until you attract a new fan base.

A newbie might not know the difference, and if your goal is to attract a new generation to the track, then perhaps thats a way to do it. After all they have nothing to compare it to, and 1/8 mile runs with limitations on the TF and FC classes would still be unlike any other form of motorsport.

However, to keep the old fan base happy, you have to find a way to equal the expierence of 1/4 mile racing, 8000 HP cars, and 330mph runs.

To keep the existing fan base happy, you have to find a way to equal the expierence of 1000' racing, 8000 HP cars, and 315mph runs.

I don't think 1/8 mile racing, and cars running 210mph is the answer. I can only say Ive seen 1/8 mile nitro racing on tv and I would have to say that I was totally unimpressed.This is because I've been exposed to what 1/4 mile 8000 hp racing is all about and well, 1/8 mile racing is just about half as interesting . Throw in a restricted nitro engine and that just adds insult to injury. I think you would lose so many fans up front, that it would be impossible to weather it out until you attract a new fan base.

I/8 mile drags would be over so soon it wouldn't be worth watching. Seen them before and they suck. If you think 1000' turned off fans, 1/8 mi would cause tons of fans to watch other forms of racing. TV audiences would drop dramatically, IMO. Has anyone asked the sponsors what they think about 1/8 mi?

And if you start slowing the nitro cars down too much, the alcohol cars will be running quicker.

Personally, think I'm gonna plead the fifth on this...
as in 1/5th of a mile...

y'all can do the math

or we can do 1/4 of a klick (250 meters)

d'kid

Last edited:
30 cars at NHRA races? What races have you been too? Topeka had 14 TAD's, everyone said A/FD saved TAD, about 6 racers switched to FC!

You obviously didn't pick up on the dichotomy of my statements. I was echoing all of the Kool-Aid scented Newspeak that has been spewing from the mouths of those opposed to any kind of power reduction plan, then clearly stating the sarcasm to which.

Pointing out, as has Head and Ace, that the NHRA style of nitro racing is as competitive as it has ever been and there is no need for rules changes. Puuuhhhllleeeaaassseee. Those statements make about as much sense as Troy Moe's claim that the entire state of Texas was "under siege" by tornados a couple of weeks ago. Go ahead and put me in the "ignorant at best" column because I don't agree with either of those gentlemen...nor do I agree with Moe. I don't care what length of track they run on. I do believe that the nitro car safety is steadily improving at a rapid pace. I don't think that the length of the tracks has a thing to do with the safety of the vehicles. I believe that NHRA and the nitro teams have been asleep at the wheel for a couple of decades and the health of the "premeire" drag racing class is at long-term risk...unless you are employed by one of two "teams" in the biz.

But I digress.

As previously stated, I recant any desire or statement aimed at re-packaging top-tier nitro rules/specs for the betterment of the sport/industry. There is nothing wrong (according to the cows refusing to budge). Running Top Fuel or Funny Car on the NHRA trail is as affordable and cost-effective today as it was in 1979. No need for change. Don't fix what's not broke, right? Just let it roll as-is and check back in with us all after five years.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You obviously didn't pick up on the dichotomy of my statements. I was echoing all of the Kool-Aid scented Newspeak that has been spewing from the mouths of those opposed to any kind of power reduction plan, then clearly stating the sarcasm to which.

Pointing out, as has Head and Ace, that the NHRA style of nitro racing is as competitive as it has ever been and there is no need for rules changes. Puuuhhhllleeeaaassseee. Those statements make about as much sense as Troy Moe's claim that the entire state of Texas was "under siege" by tornados a couple of weeks ago. Go ahead and put me in the "ignorant at best" column because I don't agree with either of those gentlemen...nor do I agree with Moe. I don't care what length of track they run on. I do believe that the nitro car safety is steadily improving at a rapid pace. I don't think that the length of the tracks has a thing to do with the safety of the vehicles. I believe that NHRA and the nitro teams have been asleep at the wheel for a couple of decades and the health of the "premeire" drag racing class is at long-term risk...unless you are employed by one of two "teams" in the biz.

But I digress.

As previously stated, I recant any desire or statement aimed at re-packaging top-tier nitro rules/specs for the betterment of the sport/industry. There is nothing wrong (according to the cows refusing to budge). Running Top Fuel or Funny Car on the NHRA trail is as affordable and cost-effective today as it was in 1979. No need for change. Don't fix what's not broke, right? Just let it roll as-is and check back in with us all after five years.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wes you referenced Ace in your post. You know he suggested Tony switch to Nostalgia since todays cars are too fast. You already admitted your going to start watching Nostalgia races, so whats the problem?

if it takes slowing the cars down to get new blood in the show please can it b done quickly, NHRA is now as boring as nascrap, same ole group with same ole story line, Force farted on his scooter let us see how long the smell last, tony shue acts like he is a soldier please give me a qualude, the alkys if not for lucas is history, if the ca suits could do something reasonable and listen
and change. more teams culd be running TF and FC. i wuld rather see 30 nitro cars in both classes slower and more characters for the fans and show even if we hav to cut the alkys. low and behold we might get some reicharts. conways. and other good talent to move up the ladder

bored in bama:D

Late 60's and early 70's...
Orange County Intl. Raceway, CA...
Manufacturer's Meet...
64+ funny cars!

Much better show than we see today.

Wes you referenced Ace in your post. You know he suggested Tony switch to Nostalgia since todays cars are too fast. You already admitted your going to start watching Nostalgia races, so whats the problem?

You still don't get it. And, I don't watch drag racing, sir. BIG difference.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back